News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1932 Cadillac V16 scale model

Started by Roger Zimmermann, July 12, 2019, 01:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

Getting the rod's length and its position on the rack was easier as expected. The pictures show how I did it. The pivot point is glued on the rack and could be moved if necessary; it appears that it's almost at the same position than on the real car, it must be just luck!
Now I can do the real parts.

584 Rack extended.JPG585 Stored rack.JPG
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on December 01, 2023, 05:18:59 AMGetting the rod's length and its position on the rack was easier as expected. The pictures show how I did it. The pivot point is glued on the rack and could be moved if necessary; it appears that it's almost at the same position than on the real car, it must be just luck!
Now I can do the real parts. 

Well, of course it is.   You are building the same car, but a heck of a lot smaller.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Don't sell yourself short.   What you are doing is marvelous, and a credit to your abilities.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

The luggage rack is structurally ready. There are however garnish elements which must be done: the molding around both grilles and the slats over the painted surface (to protect it). Plus some screws which are specific for that application with an oval head. Thanks to the 0.8 mm die I bought recently, I will be able to do them. Fortunately, the forces applied to the screws are not important: the finished diameter from the tread is about 0.73 mm; the nuts screwed on this smaller diameter is giving the feeling that the tread could be stripped easily. Its an understanding to say that I'm not really satisfied with this product.
Finally, I may use the treaded portion from the bolts I have and modify the 6-pan head to have the oval one. 

586 luggage rack.JPG
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

I realise that you know this, but, when tightening these screws, use a teeny-weenie screw driver, with grease on your fingers so you cannot overtighten.   Don't think I have ever seen a torque wrench small enough to cater for these tiny screws.

At least, they won't come undone as I think the only rough roads the car will be traversing is going to be one of carpet. ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Bruce, I have a torque wrench built into the fingers! It may happen, but I rarely break a screw by overtighten it, without grease on the tiny screwdriver.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

bobrich47

Roger, you are an absolutely amazing craftsman! Your patience & attention to CORRECT details is applauded!
  I, & I'm sure many of us following your progress, would really enjoy watching you work. Will you make at least a short video of you working & the tools involved? The way you design & then fabricate some of these components would be very interesting to observe.  Thanks, Bob
Bob Richards

Roger Zimmermann

Bob, thanks for your comments!
Unfortunately, there will be no video. I have no suitable camera and, if ever a video should be done, it could only be a very long process during the part's fabrication, but accelerated/shortened for the spectator like I had the opportunity to see. Therefore, the person who is doing the video should be with me hours and days just maybe for one or two parts. Would it be interesting? I don't think so: it would be boring! An example: for the garnish molding for the luggage rack, I have about 2 to 3 hours just for one part because there is a rolled bead I can only do with hammering until the shape is more or less satisfying. It would be OK to show the beginning for a few seconds, then the shaping of the bead to the correct dimension and finally the end result. All for maybe 20 seconds. But the operator of the camera should be there as long as the part is in progress! He (or she) would hate me!
If I would do the scale models for sale, it would be different: I would need a robust tooling like CNC machines, 3-D printer or whatever is needed to make the same parts several times for maybe a serie of 10 models. I could not do that in the same place I'm "working" now, I would need more space. But then, it would make sense for a video showing the various aspects of modeling.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

bobrich47

Good morning Roger, I understand the logistics involved to film your work is not possible,  butI do think it would make a very interesting documentary for alot of us "car nuts".
 I wish I had your perseverance & attention to detail. Your work is amazing & I enjoy watching your progress.
 I know you began in mid 2019, what is your estimated date for completion, if you don't mind me asking?
 Thanks, Bob.
Bob Richards

59-in-pieces

Roger,

I drop in from time to time to catch up on your progress.
The car progresses, but one factor remains the same, the exquisite perfection of your skills.

The fabrication of the movement of a fine Swiss watch has nothing on you.
But maybe then, it's genetic.

I trust you have pictured your own personal Makers Mark, and will place it proudly on the car upon its completion.

Bravo.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Roger Zimmermann

Hi Bob!
Thanks for accepting my comments about not doing video(s). On the other side, you are right, it would be an interesting spectacle, when the video is showing intricate parts, like the wire wheels, or how I'm silver soldering delicate parts, for example. I'm also awage that I could do myself the videos by using the adequate support for the camera. I would maybe do it if I were 30 years younger!
I had nie years to complete the Mark II. The frame/engine for that model were way easier to do but the body was more complex than a car from the thirties.
The question is: Am I willing to finish that model? My motivation is no more what it was 10 years ago, so the completion date is really open. At first, the body itself was a "maybe". Now, I have the plan to do the convertible coupe. As  a club member has the same body (even if his car is a V-8), it will certainly help to have some specific dimensions. Working solely based on pictures is not easy at all!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Roger way back when,I think you said you took alot of pictures of somebody's V16 car.....

I've always wondered how you get the scale so perfect in the model?

Your pictures must have been from different angles and different distances....how do you translate those differences to the model?

As always the work your doing here is really unbelievable !

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

bobrich47

Roger, I understand completely. Please keep up your progress,  its fantastic!  I wish I was in Switzerland (beautiful country) & that I could see your work in person! Unfortunately I probably never will. 

One request, if I may? Would you consider a short video taken with your phone of a 360° view of work so far? Or maybe in the future? If not I understand.
  Thank you for your time!
  Take care, Bob.
Bob Richards

Roger Zimmermann

@ Bob: I cannot say all the time NO! I will do something early next year. I cannot promise that all parts already done will be installed during that video "session"; I will see what can be done, because damage's risk during assembly/disassembly is always something to take in consideration.

@mike: How can I explain it with my basic English? First: pictures are lying. As much as I can say, perspective pictures are for the show, but not as working document, but sometimes nice to have. So, whenever possible, I'm taking pictures perpendicular to the part or element which should be done. Then, I'm taking a minimum of major dimensions as it's impossible to measure all. With those elements, the minor dimensions can be calculated in comparison with the major one(s). However, there are always distortions on a picture. Am best, it's to take them as far away as possible, but it's not always possible and then, details are lost. So, it's a take and give and my calculations are not always exact. Again, the common sense prevails to make (maybe) the part right!
During the various supports for the luggage rack, I had no perpendicular pictures, therefore, what I did is more a guess than calculation.
At the end, viewers will not notice if something is not quite right until the real vehicle would be available for comparison. Then, there would be some Ah! Ah! moments (from me too)! However, chance is very slim that this will happen...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

bobrich47

Good day Roger, I completely understand.  I just really enjoy your fine efforts.  I wish I had the actual car you're replicating & I lived near. I would gladly lend it to you to get all the measurements you'd need. 
Happy Holidays,  Bob.
Bob Richards

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: bobrich47 on December 08, 2023, 10:12:00 AMI wish I had the actual car you're replicating & I lived near. I would gladly lend it to you to get all the measurements you'd need. 

Bob, it would be too easy! When doing the Mark II model, I had the luck to have 3 cars at 10 miles from home! That was an incredible help!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

If you are looking back at the V-16 luggage rack's picture I published some time ago, you'll notice "rub strips" on the grilles. How could I do them?
I calculated that the strips or moldings are 0.7 mm wide. If all is going the way I want, I could drill two holes @ 0.5 mm into a 0.7 mm rod, insert wires and solder them. Those two wires per molding have a dual purpose: I can use them for the tree which will go to the plater (when?) and provide a positive location for the strips on the grilles. Fine, but how to do that?
As the rods have to be flattened on one side. I milled a groove into a scrap bit of brass. Each rod was glued into the groove with contact cement. The bond was strong enough to rework the rod and then, that assembly went in a wise to drill the holes. For each hole, I had to verify if the position was right, because the hole has to be exactly in the middle of the rod. For each hole, I had to adjust the position by 0.02 or 0.03 mm (0.0008 to 0.001") as my machine is no very rigid. The rod was then removed using paint thinner.
Then, I silver soldered the pins and did the necessary rework at the rods.
Now, I have to drill the grilles for the moldings...

587 jig.JPG588 flattened rod.JPG589 drilling the holes.JPG590 Moldings are ready.JPG

1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

The grilles were drilled to accepts the strips or moldings. I noticed that on the larger grille, the middle strips are too short! Obviously, I did an error during the calculation. I will redo the two, because the look is not what it should be. Once plated, the strips will be partially glued to avoid lifting.
The exterior moldings are also installed (they will be chromed too); the two moldings finishing the square from both grilles will be glued. The original ones have tiny screws; this method is too impractical to be applied on the model.
592 luggage rack ready.JPG
591 luggage rack ready.JPG

As you can see, the grille's paint suffered a lot...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

billyoung

I cannot tell scale from your photos. What length and width is your model in inches please ?

Sincerely, Bill Young
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Roger Zimmermann

The scale is 1:12. the length is approximately 410 mm (16.15"); the width at the rear bumper is 150 mm (5.9"). If a body is coming on the frame, it will be 161 mm wide (6.4").
I'm adding a recent picture with a small calculator.

1932 V-16 Cadillac.JPG
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101