News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1932 Cadillac V16 scale model

Started by Roger Zimmermann, July 12, 2019, 01:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

Exactly! The original is looking like that:
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

After a short vacation (we had to go back home earlier because of the virus), the "work" on the engine could resume. The side from the crankcase are now silver soldered to the base. It makes an incredible long engine, but rather narrow.
I don't know yet how I will do the rear of the crankcase as I have too few pictures from that place but, no worry, I will find a way.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

To continue the crankcase, I began to delimitate the place for the engine blocks. The RH one has an offset equal to the width of a connecting rod's journal, 2.4mm on the model (0.095"). Then, I did the narrow wall ending the crankcase at the engine blocks. I still have to do the same at the rear.
Then I soldered the rear part of the distribution case but larger than the final shape. Then came the big question: how to proceed further? The most reasonable solution was the shape the flange on which the end cover will be attached. One small flange was soldered at the LH crankcase and holes drilled to attach the end cover.
Once the flange was shaped correctly, I did the band closing the distribution case. That band was soldered to the mounting flange, letting a small raised edge like you can see on the original picture.
The question of the day was: can I solder the outer distribution case to the crankcase and have a correct position for the end cover? With careful adjustment and some trick, my gamble went quite well: the end cover is installed at the right position. My description of the various steps can be confusing; this was indeed a complex undertaken.
There are still missing details on that distribution case; I will probably add them with soft solder.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

On top of the distribution case, there is an integrated casting for the distributor and to attach the cooling fan. I decided to make that piece from a brass block with milling/filing. Once the part was ready, I began to mill/file an aperture at the distribution case which was not an so easy task.
When the fitting of the past pleased me, it was silver soldered to the assembly.
On one picture, there is a hole at the back of the distribution case; this is the pilot hole for the generator. I did also the hollow at the crankcase for the generator clearance.
Just for the fun, I did the last picture with the fan installed; when the engine blocks, cylinder heads and valve covers will be installed, the top of those elements will be a tad under the top of the fan. Imagine that in a modern styling, the hood could not be installed!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Chris Cummings

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Chris! I'm already in contact with that seller, but the results are meager.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lexi

As always, fantastic work Roger. On page 157 of Walter M.P. McCall's 80 Years of Cadillac La Salle, there is a grainy passenger side profile image of a Cadillac V12 engine. I could take a snap shot for you if it would assist. Clay/Lexi

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Clay! I have the book, no problem and indeed I have many pictures from the engine V-12 and V-16. Next to the length, there are some subtile  differences too, so I cannot take the V-12 and just add 2 cylinder at each bank.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lexi

Silly me, my dyslexia must have kicked in. V16. A couple of shots of a V16 engine in the Maurice D. henry book. Clay/Lexi

Roger Zimmermann

The last days I prepared and added the ridges on the side of the crankcase. Of course, my crankcase is not looking exactly the same as the original one, but the ridges will have the studs to attach the engine blocks.
I added also the flanges for the fuel pump and the breather; there are some small details on the block; they will be added later as I intend to soft solder them.
Thanks to Johan from the Netherland: he sent me a load of pictures from the block without accessories as well as from the transmission and other elements. I'm especially grateful for his pictures from the block; I'm now in a position to continue with the back.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks to the new pictures I have, the planning for the rear of the crankcase went without too much difficulties. If I had them at the begin of the crankcase's construction, I could have bent the sides at the rear to form the engine supports. Therefore, I had to cut the excess material at the rear and add "ears". Then I add the wall (which may not be the appropriate word for that) at the end of the engine blocks.
The flywheel housing was done with a flat piece of brass shaped to the proper diameter and silver soldered to the end flange. I was ready to drill the holes to attach the transmission; fortunately, I realized that I could not drill the hole at the transmission's flange with enough precision with the flywheel housing attached to the crankcase.
The flange for the transmission is rather thick; of course, I had not the proper material available, therefore I silver soldered 2 pieces of .8mm together, getting this way the proper thickness. The flange at the transmission is not circular; the indentations will be done later, as well as the shape allowing the starter motor to be attached.
I pre-drilled the holes to both elements; the right diameter's holes can be done later.
The next job was to adapt the flywheel housing to the existing construction, taking care to be square; finally that sub-assembly was silver soldered to the crankcase. Some excess soldering is still not removed; this will be done later.
Many elements must be added: the engine supports, the flange for the vacuum pump and so on. Some will be silver soldered; then, as the heat needed to get the proper temperature for each soldering task is getting indecent, remaining small details will be soft soldered.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

The flywheel housing is flat at the top to allow the support for some features to be attached. To have a precise dimension and to be parallel with the bottom, I milled that surface.
I added then various flanges: the one for the water pump, on the RH side of the engine and the one for a small cover. The mechanic, during maintenance, could rotate that cover to check the timing point.
Two ridges were also added; they house the guiding bar to assemble the transmission to the engine.
The next elements added to the crankcase will be soft soldered.
The last picture is showing a great help: since one year we have a "new" dog; he comes sometimes to me to help, or at least its his thinking.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Looks great Roger!!....just amazing!!

Lets hope your 4 legged helper Fritz doesn't run off with your crankcase and bury it in the back yard....haha

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Roger Zimmermann

A few elements were added since the last update: the "ears" for the rear engine supports and the provisions to push the colder water coming from the water pump to the LH cylinder block. There is a tube across the rear crankcase; steel tubes are attached to the flange.

The LH flange was relatively easy to do; by accident, this is the side I have the most pictures. The issue with the other side: the 2 threaded holes are not vertical but at about 55° because the tube connected to the water pump has to go down.

If I was satisfied with the flange from the LH side, the RH one is not the best achievement at the crankcase: the holes are not at the desired angle (I could not do better) and the whole configuration is questionable. Several small errors at the parts already done are probably the cause of this shortcoming.

The next step is to do the mounting pedestal for the vacuum pump and for an unidentified (for the moment) device; this is the last picture.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

Due to various other duties, the up date is rather late.
I saw rather quickly that to do the elements I wanted to add on the crankcase, I had to "close" it because those elements are like a continuation of the upper deck. It's now done; the 16 holes are just for the fun because in reality, the upper crankcase has a different aspect; a picture is included.
Maybe you'll notice that I have another quarter: while removing the front seat from my '72 de Ville, I found that quarter which is different from the usual ones: it was "stamped" in 2004 for Florida. I don't know if that quarter can be used in the whole USA or just in Florida.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Big Fins

Such amazing craftsmanship.

The coin is legal tender anywhere the USD is accepted or exchanged.

It is commemorative coin. Each state within the U.S., got a coin minted in that states honor.

I have a completed map of the U.S., with the corresponding coins inside of each state.

It gave me a reason to hunt through coins. You never know what can turn up.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks John!

The rear of the crankcase is finished. Of course, there are some holes do be drilled, but not before the various accessories are ready because the holes on the flanges from the accessories will be used as a template to drill the base.
At the front, there is a built-in casting for the generator mounting. Here too, I'm needing the generator's flange to continue. Therefore, I have to partially begin the generator.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

Indeed, the flange for the generator should have been done much earlier when the case for the distribution was not yet attached to the block, because I could not drill the holes for the attaching bolts. I had to work backwards, finishing the spacer and generator's mounting flange. With that, I could drill approximate holes into the case for the bolts. I also understood why there is a ridge on that case: one of the attaching bolts is not inside the case; therefore the ridge was necessary. It's also a convenient place to stamp the engine number.
the first picture is showing the soldered flange; the second one the partially built generator in temporarily "installed" on the crankcase.
There are a few details to be added till the crankcase is considered as ready.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

The last small details on the crankcase have been added: the ridge for the visual oil level; 6 inverted "T"s and 4 tiny ridges like an equal. What is the purpose of those small elements? Maybe needed at the foundry or during the machining of the crankcase. One inverted "T" is thicker than the others; it would be interesting to know the reason.
On several pictures I have from a V-12 engine, those elements are also present.
After a good cleaning of the crankcase, I applied a coat of primer. It will most probably be damaged during the drilling of all the needed holes but the difficult places will not suffer. Of course, before the final painting some improvements will be made; it's now too early to do them now.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Glen

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104