News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1932 Cadillac V16 scale model

Started by Roger Zimmermann, July 12, 2019, 01:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks for the comments and be careful with your keys! It happens from time to time that mines disappear too...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Big Fins

Following this thread is always amazing to me as I find drawing stick figures challenging.

The keys? I always know where they are. They represent fun in my Cadillacs.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Guys,

If you keep mentioning keys, Roger just might be challenged to make a set, and the ignition switch complete with tumblers. He made working power windows for his model of a  Continental MKII....hope I can mention that brand
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

carguyblack

Very funny, Ralph!  But, I'll bet Roger is now going to loose some sleep wondering if maybe he should make the keys and tumbler now. And the dome lights with working switches.
We are a cruel bunch, aren't we?!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Chuck,

I was not trolling anybody or anything. It really has operable power windows: https://www.modelmotorcars.com/roger-zimmermann-switzerland-continental-mark-ii-scale-model/

Just unbelievable!
2018 GMC Yukon

carguyblack

I was only trying to be humorous. My wife says I should quit trying!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Chuck,

Completely understood...No harm,  no foul

Ralph
2018 GMC Yukon

Roger Zimmermann

Oh...Keys and tumbler could be possible, but not with my equipment: to make very small parts, the equipment must be very precise and...heavy. Then, the practical side: can imagine how small the keys will be? About 4mm in length (0.16"); it would be very unpractical to grab them and try to insert them into the lock. No problem to misplace them and don't find them anymore!
The Toronado model I did had switches operated with the door. However, my system was not reliable at all and finally unusable.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

Finally the carbs are over. I skipped some details as well as all springs because they are so small it makes no sense to add more complication. The actuating lever is a strange one, its shape is dictated by the exhaust manifold. Nothing is moving on the carbs; shaft, accelerator pump lever, idle lever and actuating lever are all together soft soldered . Once the carbs are installed, almost no lever can be seen as they are facing the engine.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

carguyblack

Good day, Roger!
Were you ever a watch maker in your former life? Beautiful work and glad it's all being documented. No one would believe it otherwise!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE

Roger Zimmermann

thanks Chuck!
No, I was not into that trade. But I like doing small things...Next to the large cars scale 1:1!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

Well, I'm not totally ready with the carbs: I tried to install one under the manifold assembly; it's almost mission impossible to turn the bolts as the space is very tight for one bolt. Maybe studs and nuts could help, but I prefer the following set-up: the carbs will be attached with a central screw from the exhaust manifold when the intake manifold is not yet installed, plus dummy bolts.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Way to go.   It is not as if you are going to be worried about leaks.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

After the carbs, I had to decide with what to continue. The choice came on the tires. There are very nice reproduced tires for those antique cars with an intricate thread. Unfortunately, my equipment is totally inadequate to reproduce most of the treads. I saw that there is a Firestone with a zig-zag thread which will be easy to do as it's very similar to what I did on my other models.
Last week, I ordered a large piece of brass (about $ 40.00) to make the tire pattern. As you can see, the stock I got is really the maximum which can be handled with this machine. The outside diameter is 70 mm (2 3/4") and the weight 1.47 kg (3 1/4 pounds)! There will be hours removing material and almost so much waiting time as the electric motor cannot run for hours without cooling from time to time.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Roger,

I'm interested to see how you make the zig-zag pattern in the mold or tread.......Keep the pics coming, please
2018 GMC Yukon

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on November 28, 2021, 11:08:19 AM
Roger,

I'm interested to see how you make the zig-zag pattern in the mold or tread.......Keep the pics coming, please
Thanks for your comments. Sure, I will show it! Let me first "chew" that big bit of brass!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

It took two afternoons to get the large piece of brass to the shape it's now. Too deep a pass or higher rotation speed caused strong vibrations so it was a balance between low speed and moderate cutting deep.
This rough element will be refined to look like a tire.
My deepest concern was about the dimensions. The original tire was 7.50-18; those tires are reproduced as I stated earlier, but their dimension are strange. I found nowhere the correct dimensions from the thirties and the tires produced now are like overinflated with an exaggerated width and overall diameter. Why tire manufacturers are doing that now? I have no answer. Anyway, I was the "victim" of those practices when I was building the Mark II: I took the dimensions from my own 8.20-15 tires installed on my '56 Biarritz and reproduced the tires according to the dimensions I recorded. As a result, I was unable to fit the spare wheel into the trunk; I had to cut away a good portion of the thread to install it. Sure, it could also be that I did some errors and the space allowed for the spare tire was too small.
Some years ago, a friend of mine discarded a restored spare wheel and the new tire installed over it because it could not fit the wheel well in his 1960 Corvette! Obviously, he got the same issue with an oversize tire. Strange.
As I noticed on several occasions, it's better to have parts a tad too small in scale model construction, I will do something similar with the tires: a compromise between the theoretical dimensions and the ones I saw on various advertisings.

1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

The rough work is done on the tire pattern. The face towards the rear of the lathe will be refined with an hand held tool. This is the best way to get a smooth and regular surface. Because of the white wall, the other side will be handled differently.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Roger,

You teach me something new every day.   Love the use of the rotation stop, making swapping of the machining piece beautiful.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Looks like you need to make another pattern as this one would be ideal for drag slicks. ;) ;)
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Bruce, this method is the sole one to have a constant true rotation, between two solid "pins" (there is certainly another expression in English): you can take away the part in process a number of time, it will always rotate the same way. If the part is held into a chuck, this is a different story. I know that it's a bit futile to quest for precision for a model which will hardly get rolling; this is my way of doing things. Plus the next operations to get a rubber tire are so imprecise that the final product will never turn completely true. At least the beginning is not compromised!
Like real tires, the beginning of mine is like a slick; the profile will come later!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101