News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rear wheel bearings

Started by Trouble, March 20, 2024, 03:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trouble

Hi to everyone, (Newbie) first excuse me for any mistakes i am not to good on the lap top,i am having problems trying to find out the correct way to place Wheel bearings on my 1966 cadillac fleetwood 75 sedan, O ring out or in ? i removed RHS axle and the bearing on the axle has O ring on the outside,it has a metal shield on the bearing facing in to diff and a normal type seal facing out towards wheel,my new bearings have seals only on both sides,my question is what way does the O ring need to face? i have read  some old post here that talk about 60/61 bearings, facing out,any help will be great thank you in advance, Trouble

dn010

O-ring grove towards the splined end of the shaft. The idea is to have the o-ring sit deeper in the axle housing once it is put back together.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Trouble

Thank you for the reply, mine are on the axle O ring out,the bearings have a metal cover on the O ring side and a rubber seal on the other side? the new bearings are rubber seals both sides,i think i will put the new ones on as you said O ring in cheers

dn010

Install it as illustrated below. You can't really go by comparing the new and old bearings side by side, these bearings were updated and improved over the years for better sealing. As long as it is installed with the o-ring groove facing the splines as indicated, you'll be fine.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Trouble

wheel bearing back on axle to correct measurment, O ring facing inside car driving great, thank's to all,big thank's to Bruce