News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Car show hints, and tips to win?

Started by 52Cadillac, May 28, 2013, 11:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis Smith

Quote from: 52Cadillac on May 30, 2013, 01:02:28 PM
Go Hooters.

Right Ron. I'm pretty much a beginner, but may have a slight advantage. My car is a 2 door Convertible. We have people chase us down to get a pic. A gal walked in front of the car just yesterday to flirt with my wife in the car. Haha. That car will disguise the ugliest dude behind the wheel, and make him look like a movie star. It truly is A looker.
Mike

Great looking car.  I always did like the tan convertible tops, over all the rest of the colors available.

52Cadillac

Thanks. Wish I had the tan boot. It has a maroon red boot from a 53 that fits. I picked it up not to long ago.

So I think all I need for Sat is the car detailed, owners manual, coke cooler with cokes to bribe the judges on a hot day, and myself to tell the judges what a great car it is.

One thing Im thinking of adding in future (if I can make it look classy enough) is some pics of Car in different states. No trailer queen here. From Pittsburgh to Savannah area, then to Texas and back, then to Maryland and back. All within the last 10 months. It's the journey not necessarily the destination that we enjoy.
Mike

SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

linchero

Bring a car thats unique,

Richardonly

As I said earlier, the "pretty" cars take most of the glory.  Once again, I cannot compete against late 50s, 60s and 70s.

Most of us here try for the most originality we can afford.  If acheiving recognition for our efforts (thus taking home a trophy) is NOT of any importance, why have regional contests or the Grand Nationals?  Maybe the Grand National should just list the cars in their monthly magazine.

When selling your car, as we are only today's caretakers of these vehicles, sometimes the trophies won can sway a potential buyer.

On the other side is the many acquaintances and friends we have met and sat side by side with for a day, or many times throughout the season.

I have put, as many of you have also, much effort into preserving my car, and making it look and run the best I can.  As I was recovering from surgury and the illness that brought it on, I spent over 120 hours hand polishing the paint in my garage, over a 4 month period.

The 1st year out, I won none in my sedan.  After all my work and entering by decade, I took home 8.
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Louis Smith

Quote from: Richardonly on May 31, 2013, 09:35:26 AM

Most of us here try for the most originality we can afford.  If acheiving recognition for our efforts (thus taking home a trophy) is NOT of any importance, why have regional contests or the Grand Nationals?  Maybe the Grand National should just list the cars in their monthly magazine.

Do other organizations when they get together for meetings have judging.  Do the Shriners have contests for who has the best fez's?  I place more importance on the fellowship of members.  It is a given that we all have the same admiration for the marquee.

N Kahn

Quote from: Louis Smith on May 31, 2013, 09:42:14 AM
Do other organizations when they get together for meetings have judging.  Do the Shriners have contests for who has the best fez's?  I place more importance on the fellowship of members.  It is a given that we all have the same admiration for the marquee.

I don't understand the trophy mentality at all, having said that, we put on a show every year and we give out hand made trophies and the guys that get them really appreciate it. They're all made by hand not some $5 trinket from the trophy shop. I have won lots of trophies in the past but I have never once thought about how to increase my trophy count.

52Cadillac

Mr Kahn, Increase your trophy count? Ahhh, whether ya know it or not you do that by shining your car spiffy like and attending a few car shows, CLC chapters or not. As you have. So even if not counting on a trophy(or counting trophies) you sub-knowingly do so by the aforementioned sentence. If everyone took that attitude our communities would not benefit from all the charitable contributions that car shows and Trophies provide. A trophy is a job well done. Heck of a lot better then some government employee plaque for just showing up to work.
You're right though that recognition from fellow caddy owners is what we appreciate most. However, in my area I believe the closest chapter is Atlanta. About a 4 hour drive. I don't need a 4 hour drive, one way, for recognition. I would if in the area for sure.

Anyone ever use Pig Snot? It's a chrome wax, and looks very good when used. Shining car up for charity event in the big city. Should be fun.
Later, Mike
SemperFiFund.org

Louis Smith

Quote from: 52Cadillac on May 31, 2013, 12:38:28 PM

Anyone ever use Pig Snot? It's a chrome wax, and looks very good when used. Shining car up for charity event in the big city. Should be fun.
Later, Mike

Because of the name I wouldn't even consider using it, nor will I use dog pile for a search engine.  I will not contribute to the decline of decency and civility as I know it.

52Cadillac

Ill try almost anything.hehe. My hands smelled a little funny, and wifey gave me a look when I slapped her fanny today. Hmmm, may have to switch to another chrome wax.

Cadillac widow joined me yesterday to polish up the chrome, and paint. About 8 hours later Mack the Cadillac was looking good in her Sunday best. Be off soon to whip the pants off the competition at the Car show. Seriously we'll have good time checking it all out. Ill take pics of any Caddies that show up.
Later, Mike
SemperFiFund.org

52Cadillac

Great show lots of completion. Unfortunately we were the only Cad entered out of 83 cars.
We did receive a trophy for top ten, but not the big kahuna. It went to nice looking 51 Studebaker. It was a beautiful car with heavily modified  engine/drivetrain and interior. We did spot a 73 Eldorado conv, and a 75 Eldorado, both red.

Thanks for the  tips guys. Appreciate it.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org

Louis Smith

Quote from: 52Cadillac on June 01, 2013, 03:59:09 PM
Great show lots of completion. Unfortunately we were the only Cad entered out of 83 cars.
We did receive a trophy for top ten, but not the big kahuna. It went to nice looking 51 Studebaker. It was a beautiful car with heavily modified  engine/drivetrain and interior. We did spot a 73 Eldorado conv, and a 75 Eldorado, both red.

Thanks for the  tips guys. Appreciate it.
Mike

Sad day for America when a Studebaker wins over a magnificent Cadillac, such as yours!

52Cadillac

Yeah well when the Judges came around I was elsewhere, and Cadillac widow was supposed to hand em a cold bottle of coke. She didn't, and that's why we didn't get the big one. Seriously, all vehicles were lumped into one Category. The event was spread out pretty good with cars lining River Street, then crammed into a small parking lot. Tons of people. One guy with his Gal, says to me do you own the car? I said yep. He says his wife was born in 52, and wanted to know if I'd let her sit in the car for a pic. Now I've a hard time saying no to a lady, so all I did was point to Cadillac Widow, and told him she owns most of it cause I let her shine the chrome, and ya better ask her. The guy just walked away. I only let certain non drooling germ free kids, active duty Marines, and really good looking Ladies sit in the car.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org

R Schroeder

Steven , that car of yours is so beautiful, I would give you my trophy's just to sit in it.
Roy

52Cadillac

Shoot fire over ninety trophy's. that's pretty impressive Steven.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org

R Schroeder

Why thank you Steven.
I only had 3 anyway.............ha
Roy

52Cadillac

3, not bad.
Unless your counting the Little League Trophies you received as a kid.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org

Louis Smith

Just for clarification, I have no problem with those whose objective is to garnish trophy's and accolades for their cars.  To be sure I remain proud of the few trophies I have acquired over the years.  Especially the one I use for a door stop to my office.

R Schroeder

Mine were from mixed shows. Best in 70's class.
Nothing important ..ha
Third one was a blanket with GM written on it. Took the place of a trophy at that show, I guess.

Roy

Louis Smith

Quote from: Roy Schroeder on June 03, 2013, 05:36:48 PM
Mine were from mixed shows. Best in 70's class.
Nothing important ..ha
Third one was a blanket with GM written on it. Took the place of a trophy at that show, I guess.

Roy

Let me be the first to know if you ever decide to part with your coupe.  I had a '79 in almost the same color. In 1979 it was called cedar. Of all the Cadillacs I owned, it was my favorite.

R Schroeder

A = I think you would be about 3rd in line, and second , I don't know if you would pay the price.
I paid a good price for my car.......ha
Roy

Cedar sounds like a brown shade of color.
Those pictures above look like that, but the car is more a berry color.
Mulberry.