News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

TIPPING THE CAR HAULER DRIVER

Started by lou-q, May 13, 2014, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lou-q

Our car is being delivered tomorrow. I would like to know how much to tip the driver.
The transport was from Oregon to Indiana and has taken about 10 or 12 days. The company (Thomas Sunday) seems to be a class act with very good communication, real nice trucks (they have five) and well seasoned drivers.
What do you all think is a proper gratuity.
Thanks,
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

The Tassie Devil(le)

What ever you do, wait till the car is out and on the ground, and undamaged.

As for tipping, I am lucky I live in Tasmania, as that is not a culture in Australia.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

I had a vintage airstream moved from Washington State to the Phila PA area.  It cost a lot of money.  I rounded off the balance to the next hundred so the "tip" was about $40.00.  He is a solo operator though, not a driver working for wages.  I'd say anywhere from $20.00 to $50.00 would be enough.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Brian Dowell

:) Tipping is totally up to you. It is the drivers responsibility to do his/her job with care. However when the car arrives safe and unharmed you would hope because it was taken care of with care! Customary is 20% at a normal bill however a large bill of shipping could add up quick. I always tip a
single $100.00 bill. The driver always seams very happy with that. Believe me next time he has your car it will be very babied.
Brian
30 LaSalle Coupe
30 LaSalle 7 Passenger touring
33 LaSalle Sedan
60 Cadillac Convertible
15 Model T Touring

txturbo

I have never heard of tipping a delivery driver.
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK
1963 Cadillac Sedan De Ville

INTMD8

I've just done the same as Brian, round up to the next hundred.

When I had my Brougham shipped it was close to $3k. Transporter did an excellent job but I didn't feel the need to tip much considering how much I was charged.

D.Yaros

Certainly not required.

For me the question(s) is/are:  Did I have unusual demands/requirements?  Were they met?  Did the driver render either exceptional and/or extra service?  I feel when all of those circumstances are present, a tip is indeed in order.

Case in point:  On the transport of my car from NY to WI I requested that it not be moved once loaded.  I requested that it be on top.  I requested that it be covered.  When it arrived the driver had to move 3 or more cars just to get to mine.  Mine was on top, all the way in the front of the trailer and covered.

That called for, and resulted in, a tip to the driver.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Smedly

I would agree with Brian, I drove a tow truck for about a year, and towed a LOT of cars but the driver will definitely remember you the next time he or she is haulin you baby. as for the amount. I did a couple 1500km ( about 900 mile) hauls and the owner tipped about $75.
Sheldon Hay
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

VandalRon

I've had several cars hauled east coast to west coast and never tipped a thing. This is the first I've heard of doing so.

Rich S

I've shipped my '71 Eldorado Convertible from Pittsburgh to Fort Lauderdale seasonally for the winter months and fortunately the company, Horseless Carriage, always did an excellent job and I have tipped the drivers every time at least $100. Of course, the original quoted price was reasonable and they were professional and communicated well and delivered as promised. I've also had them ship a brand new Cadillac CTS Coupe from a Florida dealer up to me and I did the same--the car arrived unmarked and still with 14 miles on it. In my opinion, good auto transport service should receive a generous gratuity.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

76eldo

It's optional for sure.  I mainly deal with drivers picking cars up and don't tip in that situation.

Getting your car on top of the truck is ok unless the driver clips something hanging down.
I had that happen on a 64 Coupe I sold.  Basically ruined a nice original paint car.

Never use the lowest bidder, that's for sure.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Steve Passmore

I'm really glad I don't live in an environment that requires tipping someone who is already being paid for delivering a service. I'm sure transport drivers wages are not lower because your IRS calculates they will have tips like a waitress or cab driver.   Do supermarkets tip their delivery drivers? Do you tip the UPS delivery guy? I suspect not.
I have had a few cars transported around your country and the hauler gives me a price to do the job, thats the price he requires, why would he even want a tip? if he wanted more he would just add it on the estimate no?  and to suggest he might not treat your car so well if he wasn't getting one is immoral.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Quentin Hall

Yes, Steve I agree. How much do you tip the priest after confession?
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

The Tassie Devil(le)

The best tip is "be kind to your parents".   And if you have none alive, then "treat others like you would like to be treated yourself".

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

gross707

I just had a '73 Eldo shipped from IN to LA.  The charge was $1200 ($200 to the broker by credit card then $1000 c.o.d. to the driver) for enclosed delivery.  While backing the car out the driver scratched the right fender skirt on his trailer's wheel well.  We then renegotiated his fee in order to cover the cost of repairing the minor damage that he had caused.  After agreeing on a new cash price he then added "well I guess there goes my gratuity?"  He was correct.
GR
Gerald Ross

INTMD8

Quote from: Quentin Hall on May 15, 2014, 04:35:23 AM
How much do you tip the priest after confession?

Good setup but I'll leave that one alone  >:D

lou-q

Well, we got our car yesterday.  Everything went great . . . the car was in the belly hold and was very well covered.  Thomas C Sunday, Inc. is a class act.  Along with our car, was a brand new 2014 Cuda with over 715 hp going back to a dealer after being re-worked by someone like Rouch or Shelby.  I gave the driver $50 and took him to lunch.  He will definitely remember us next time, since he was originally from South Florida like us.  Thanks for all the input.

Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

76eldo

It's a cultural thing.  Over here we tip for certain things.  I ship a lot of stuff for my business, and we do tip the UPS man at Christmas time.  I also tip my Postman at home.  In a restaurant at least 20 percent for good service.

Glad that your car arrived safely.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

harvey b

It never hurts to "tip" or reward someone who you do a lot of business with,any of the delivery men that come here I always give them something at Christmas,it seems to be paying off,i get my parts first and always seem to be not damaged,same for the car hauler,i sometimes feed him when he drops off a car,funny he always seems to land around lunch time ::). Everyone loves a free hot dog I always say. Harvey
Harvey Bowness

Bill Caddyshack

I got lucky on a recent haul. Called the guy on Thursday, he left Georgia that day. He picked up the car (a 58 Cadillac Imperial Sedan Limo, 22 feet long, 6,000 pounds) the next day, Friday, in Springfield MO. Drove back to Georgia (700 miles) and unloaded the car on Saturday $500! Car was running poorly, had to winch it on and he helped me push it into our yard.

Yeah, I gave him a $50 tip. Damn right!!

He was able to schedule several other cars on the same trip.

When I first talked with him, I had told him that I had a good tip for him that was "getting smaller" every day!  :D  :D 

TIP is an acronym that means (To Improve Performance). I usually tip in advance at restaurants and tell the server that I expect excellent performance. Works like magic!!