News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Barn find 53 Eldo

Started by Quentin Hall, August 30, 2014, 09:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Heaven help us if the car gets relisted because the buyer welched out at the moment of check writing... ::)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Quentin Hall

This topic represents my "groundhog day". You know that movie with Bill Murray.? Every morn 6am he awakes to the painful delivery of Sonny and Cher, "Babe....I got you babe." So every day poor Bill has to try a different tack till he gets a better resolution.
Today, I'll use reverse logic. . . And see if we can get this baby to page 10.
So at $60k the Eldo is way overpriced. Agreed? But all the Eldo only items are accounted for.
So a similar series 62 conv in the same condition requiring the same full restoration which on the open market may reach $120k tops. . . Is now a worthless car.
Further any car that costs more to restore than it's worth is unviable and shouldn't be undertaken, except by the foolhardy.
Well there goes the hobby. See you at the dealership at 9am to all pick up our new 100 point 2015 models.
. . . ."They say we're young and we don't know. . . . "
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

sding

Quote from: Quentin Hall on September 03, 2014, 05:09:15 PM
This topic represents my "groundhog day". You know that movie with Bill Murray.? Every morn 6am he awakes to the painful delivery of Sonny and Cher, "Babe....I got you babe." So every day poor Bill has to try a different tack till he gets a better resolution.
Today, I'll use reverse logic. . . And see if we can get this baby to page 10.
So at $60k the Eldo is way overpriced. Agreed? But all the Eldo only items are accounted for.
So a similar series 62 conv in the same condition requiring the same full restoration which on the open market may reach $120k tops. . . Is now a worthless car.
Further any car that costs more to restore than it's worth is unviable and shouldn't be undertaken, except by the foolhardy.
Well there goes the hobby. See you at the dealership at 9am to all pick up our new 100 point 2015 models.
Q not only "shouldn't be undertaken" but  "burned to the ground"

dadolac

Quote from: Quentin Hall on September 03, 2014, 05:09:15 PM

Goodnight Irene!  End the thread right there.

59-in-pieces

NEVER - Never give up, never surrender.
I just can’t help myself as someone who knows how, and does turn wrenches on (restores) his own Cads.  Which by the way, have been in worse shape than this 53 and worth allot less. 
Is this club made up of a bunch of accountants - bean counters â€" who see their investments” in their Cads as an end game to profit.  Has the enjoyment of their cars been lost on economic ends.  SAD, SO SAD.  Do they think that If their cars are sold at a loss, they have failed in the hobby or their business.
On the other hand, who appointed some of the folks espousing - to the top of their collective written voices - that the value of this or any other car, should be this or that.  Are you the same folks who drive less than the posted speed limit and hold up traffic, because you are so self-righteous and a member of the self-appointed speed Police.  I had a mother-in-law, just like that.
Oh yes, and what about those who want a spoon fed menu of the cost to restore this car.  If you don’t know by now, it’s too late to go to school on this car â€" just keep throwing numbers around to show you lack any actual experience or knowledge.  This car is so unique a find, you can’t equate the amounts that you might be given on the next opportunity to bid on a 53 Biarritz - there aren’t any on the horizon.
After all this diatribe, whoever ends up with the car, and no matter how they care for the car - after they buy it, doesn’t justify either camps position - because YOU may never know how it plays out.  So why get so wrapped around the axle, since admittedly few if any will be in the hunt.
Q, there you go, once again making friends â€" you pompous ass â€" harsh and personal.  I suspect that Tony and Warren are laughing their tails off.  I have my own stick to stir, thank you.  See, I’m helping - 16 pages to go. 
Can’t we just agree to disagree, unless we need to become Pen-Pals.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

gary griffin

I can not believe that this post keeps on gong and going.  The cost to buy and restore a classic car is of little importance to anybody but the person who is opening his wallet and diving into the restoration and possibly his spouse in a community property state. 

I hope the buyer does a great job of restoration and also hope to see this same car at a future Grand National. The cost is not my concern!!

I have done a few and never meet my cost estimate or my time schedule, but when I drive my Lil Red Express truck for example, I forget how much it cost and enjoy it for what it is to me. It's dollar value is of little importance to me and I only hope my family will be able to recover some of their inheritance I spent on it but I have had full value  from it already as I have from my other cars and motorcycles.  I am a widower so I need answer to anybody but would not have done well in a marriage where my funds were voted on by another. 

An English car club I belong to has a restoration guide and it starts by saying to keep a ledger of costs and hide it in the garage where your spouse will not find it. 

As I saw in a post once "I tremble in fear of dieing and my wife selling my cars for what I told her I had spent on them" 

Whatever price the 53 Eldo. goes for it will be the right price for the buyer and the seller and of no consequence to anybody else.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day all,

It is time to Lock up this topic, especially as the last sentence of the posting by Gary Griffin states:

"Whatever price the 53 Eldo. goes for it will be the right price for the buyer and the seller and of no consequence to anybody else."

is the most pertinent statement to end it on.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon