News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac Christmas Kindness and a Hagerty towing disaster with The Ark

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, December 26, 2023, 01:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Lexi on December 30, 2023, 10:24:55 AMAs Laurie herself said to you earlier in this post George, that it is (quote) "Important to remember I beat on this car like a rented mule, if there's a weakness, we'll find it.". Perhaps indicative of too much "beating"?

Exactly. And spoken as if it's something not only to be proud of, but derides anyone who disagrees with her practices through personal attacks and insults.  What she refuses to accept is that her way is not the "right" way for everybody.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

wrefakis

To each his own as to how they enjoy the hobby
I have a 70 fleetwood,and all I hear is "you have to drive it,etc"
I enjoy owning and preserving it,and i do drive it a few times a year
Thats my enjoyment
I F#$%&*# Detest getting skinned by mechanics
I also need nor seek affirmation as to my cars originailty ,or anything else
as far as $ apparetly you can spend 4X $ what i paid for mine on repairs, and still end up stranded
does not sound like fun

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on December 30, 2023, 11:04:46 AMExactly. And spoken as if it's something not only to be proud of, but derides anyone who disagrees with her practices through personal attacks and insults.  What she refuses to accept is that her way is not the "right" way for everybody.

Eric show me on the doll where I hurt you... I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on this thread. Yet, here we are.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: wrefakis on December 30, 2023, 11:15:25 AMTo each his own as to how they enjoy the hobby
I have a 70 fleetwood,and all I hear is "you have to drive it,etc"
I enjoy owning and preserving it,and i do drive it a few times a year
Thats my enjoyment
I F#$%&*# Detest getting skinned by mechanics
I also need nor seek affirmation as to my cars originailty ,or anything else
as far as $ apparetly you can spend 4X $ what i paid for mine on repairs, and still end up stranded
does not sound like fun

People have the right to own statues or drivers, personal choice. If you choose to have a DRIVER, you have to
DRIVE it.
I never sought "affirmation", I simply proved it, there's a difference.
I wouldn't worry about how other people spend their money, money is not the same issue with everyone.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on December 30, 2023, 12:32:54 PMI didn't ask for anyone's opinion on this thread. Yet, here we are.

No you just voice yours and expect everyone to salute it. That's not the way it works.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: gkhashem on December 30, 2023, 09:53:20 AMLaurie, not sure why this thread seems to be a bit heated.

Most of the suggestions here are trying to be helpful to you since you seem to be always spending money on the car. I have currently 8 cars and have had up to 11 at one time. Most of my costs have occurred upon purchase trying to get an inactive car active. Also fixing items that time has taken its toll on.

While the cost of maintenance and upkeep gets costly, you seemed to be a magnet for issues. Maybe the issue is you and your driving. You post your issues and people are making some suggestions.

Instead the topic has veered off into safety and other areas.

So now I will state my opinion. A Cadillac is supposed to make a statement by arriving. The look, the elegance, just making the appearance. It's presence just makes all around stop and admire it. A Cadillac is not a race car, a car that lays rubber, or makes jack rabbit starts, in its day it was luxury. Luxury is not loud, overt, or obnoxious. A Cadillac is supposed to be a class act and play the part. No other embellishment is needed other than its presence.

The other issue is age. So to relate it to a human. I at my age do not move as recklessly as I did 40 years ago. I no longer play basketball, throw a baseball overhand, or run 5Ks or run up and down a flight of stairs. While I could maybe still for a short time I would be asking for trouble or injury.

So when you drive "like you stole it" you are putting undue stress on an old machine that cannot end up well eventually.

So the morale of the story is drive it as you like but don't whine about the consequences.

Where exactly did I "whine" in the OP or subsequent replies... show me where...
Others make it 'heated', I post a story and others are compelled to add their statue owning .02, maybe its
because I drive my car, everywhere. They dust theirs, to each their own.

"A Cadillac is supposed to make a statement by arriving." Exactly. And in order to 'arrive' it has to get there,
and it won't get there if it has mechanical issues you haven't flushed out yet. Its a car, its a machine. If you
want to DRIVE it you have to find out where its weaknesses are and correct them. The biggest problem now is after
market parts, they're junk and have to replaced after they're replaced in a few years. Like that alternator that
was 'only' 4.5 years old. And that's the beauty of military air craft mntx records. I know that power steering pump
is 'new', its 4 next year, the first time I hear a whine or a teaspoon drop in fluid level, its gone.

We only did a couple of torque tests/rear end hook ups (forward and reverse) AFTER the entire drive train was
restored. Back on the lift the next day to check for leaks/noise. Perfect. Onward. And yes it was kinda fun to see
and hear those rear Diamond Back Classics chirp during those tests, not recommended unless your entire drive train
is restored and being driven by an actual mechanic. The result is when put into gear and asked for power, the
response, is instant and quiet. Its amazing how smooth that tranny is now, you can barely feel it change gears. The new fluid they used plays a roll I'm sure along with the complete rebuild by a real TH400 guy. Which was all my idea, there were no transmission issues when I had all that work done. I didn't want to have any tranny issues. So...

Time to wake The Ark, MANY errands to run today. Weather is still perfect, no salt/no snow yet.
DRIVE YOUR CARS
If you can....

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on December 30, 2023, 12:55:16 PMNo you just voice yours and expect everyone to salute it. That's not the way it works.

This is how car forums 'work' Eric. People voice their opinions, readers are left to form
their own opinions. Those who still have a cognitive thought process are able to do that.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

gkhashem

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on December 30, 2023, 12:32:54 PMEric show me on the doll where I hurt you... I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on this thread. Yet, here we are.

Ok, then no reason to read your thread unless all you want is applause or go get'em gal.

You state an opinion, well you get replies. If all you want is applause, then I will let the sycophants reply and I can ignore your posts.

I will let the yes men take over from here.

No help wanted so no help given, good luck you will need it. Just a matter of time until the next catastrophe.

If everyone in the day drove them like they stole them no car would ever have lasted more than 5-6 years from new and there would be no car hobby since they would all be long junked.

So you should thank that original owner of your car, since that is the primary reason why it even still exists.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on December 30, 2023, 01:15:06 PMThis is how car forums 'work' Eric. People voice their opinions, readers are left to form
their own opinions. Those who still have a cognitive thought process are able to do that.

How it works is when you voice a debatable opinion on an open forum, you do so with the expectation of skepticism/disagreement. And when it does, combative and insulting retorts are uncalled for.

You last sentence above, "Those that hold a cognitive thought process..." is exactly the type of caustic remark I am referring to. Things like that and the patronizing tone of "show me on the doll where I hurt you..." are dismissive, condescending,  uncalled for and bound to inflame. And if you can't see that, maybe it is your cognitive skills that should be called into question. 

bcroe

I must interject, in my opinion Laurie is treating the 70 the best
possible way.  Sure some ancient econobox driven hard may
not last too long.  I drove 60s cars 40,000 miles a year, and
spent a lot on keeping them repaired.  But by the late 70s all
my earlier problems had been engineered out.  No more blown
transmissions, that TH400 is bulletproof.  No more broken
suspension, good cooling systems, V8s that did not care
how you drive them, long as the oil and water were OK.  Brakes
and a rear axle that will not quit. 

All that stuff on Lauries car has been brought up to date, and is
serving well.  Yes there might be a hose or valve or alternator
brush showing age, but NONE OF THOSE THINGS HAVE
ANYTHING TO DO WITH HOW THE CAR IS DRIVEN. 

Keep driving, work out a few 50 year old weaknesses.  I would
rather drive my car than look at it, so after 1.5 million miles some
non factory solutions have been worked out.  Steel and plastic
are replaced with stainless steel or copper.  Just about anything
that moves is on a maintenance schedule.  No tower clamps here. 
And you cannot have too many gauges, which can usually be done
a lot more neatly than a row under the dash.  The 82 I am working
on today has this century, been to all 4 boundaries of the US and
around the Great Lakes thru Canada without breakdown.  And at
the limit of performance the law allows, at least. 

I suppose some were more reckless at a younger age, I never was. 
Bruce Roe

wrefakis

After all this conversation,I needed a fix!
Went see my Fleetwood!
Yes the statue
Seats never sat in,(covered from new)
Mats never stepped on (covered since new)
100 % untouched original black finish
perfect silver on dash face,nos steering wheel,
no desire to smoke the tires
but i can promise you this you will never see one like it
and if i never criticize people who enjoy fixing and driving,and going to mechanics,
why throw mud my way because i enjoy my car ?

wrefakis

I think I finally get it
I never wanted an old car
I wanted the 70 Fleetwood from down the road brand new oct 69,and,it had the same bumper guards as mine
i wanted a NEW one
not a fixed up tired old car to drive around 50+ years later
we had no car,zero so all i could do was look and dream
by the time i could buy my own in 73,the care was garbage
so began the mint 70 collecting obsession,and the ones i have are damm close to mint
so take pity on me as i drive to gettysburgh in 2011 town car

Quote from: bcroe on December 30, 2023, 03:05:26 PMYes there might be a hose or valve or alternator

While entirely true, the reason for the blown engine can't be as easily dismissed.

wrefakis

remember that "tick becomes a knock" thread,maybe next time clean up the top of engine and check rockers prior to expensive rebuild
had many a 472/500/425 that had top end sound that could be miss represented as a knock

The Tassie Devil(le)

C'mon people, let's remember that whatever one posts is always going to receive comments, either praising or not-so praising.

Please remember, and respect, the opinions of fellow Members as each one has different opinions on what they are in the Cadillac and LaSalle Club for, and disrespecting Members for how they use what they own will result in some form of loss of privileges on the Forum.

Remember that when typing, and before pressing the Send Button.

Thanks, and have a happy 2024.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   The saying, "Drive it like you stole it" if taken as written, these days would end up with the driver in Gaol, and the car being clamped, and or, written off by the Insurance Companies.   It might be said in jest, but really not for print on this Forum.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Lexi

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on December 30, 2023, 02:56:19 PMHow it works is when you voice a debatable opinion on an open forum, you do so with the expectation of skepticism/disagreement. And when it does, combative and insulting retorts are uncalled for.

You last sentence above, "Those that hold a cognitive thought process..." is exactly the type of caustic remark I am referring to. Things like that and the patronizing tone of "show me on the doll where I hurt you..." are dismissive, condescending,  uncalled for and bound to inflame. And if you can't see that, maybe it is your cognitive skills that should be called into question. 

Yes, but looking at the bright side, we are all still Cadillac fanatics, Laurie included. But I agree, the very nature of an open Forum is that there are bound to be varying opinions. If not expected or tolerated, why bother reading as George clearly asked? We should always be looking to put a positive spin on things. BTW  Wrefakis I thought your post (#50) was hilarious. Still getting a good and much needed chuckle from it. Thank you (and your "Statue")! Clay/Lexi

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: gkhashem on December 30, 2023, 02:29:58 PM.

Ok, then no reason to read your thread unless all you want is applause or go get'em gal.

You state an opinion, well you get replies. If all you want is applause, then I will let the sycophants reply and I can ignore your posts.

I will let the yes men take over from here.

No help wanted so no help given, good luck you will need it. Just a matter of time until the next catastrophe.

If everyone in the day drove them like they stole them no car would ever have lasted more than 5-6 years from new and there would be no car hobby since they would all be long junked.

So you should thank that original owner of your car, since that is the primary reason why it even still exists.

Original "OWNERS" babe. I'm the reason that car exists now. Trust me, if I'm looking for an answer or an opinion,
I'll post it as such. Scrolling/ignoring certain people's posts is always a winning formula, I do it here. I can make the time, there's a lot of people here who would be better off DRIVING their cars than driving their keyboards. That's just my humble opinion.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on December 30, 2023, 02:56:19 PMHow it works is when you voice a debatable opinion on an open forum, you do so with the expectation of skepticism/disagreement. And when it does, combative and insulting retorts are uncalled for.

Eric, seriously, your incessant need to comment on all of my posts, your tone, is starting to get creepy. Find another
member, another car, to become infatuated with. Yes "cognitive thought process" is a thing, all people have to do
is refer to their recent medical records and drugs administered.... Some are heavily affected, some not so much.
Do yourself a favor and block me, just scroll by my posts, its best for you. Honestly.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: wrefakis on December 30, 2023, 03:09:35 PMAfter all this conversation,I needed a fix!
Went see my Fleetwood!
Yes the statue
Seats never sat in,(covered from new)
Mats never stepped on (covered since new)
100 % untouched original black finish
perfect silver on dash face,nos steering wheel,
no desire to smoke the tires
but i can promise you this you will never see one like it
and if i never criticize people who enjoy fixing and driving,and going to mechanics,
why throw mud my way because i enjoy my car ?

(Oh Pfizer, see what you've done?)
Um, yes you do criticize me for how I own my car, not that I care since I pay the bills and enjoy the view
through my windshield at landscapes slow and fast. I never threw mud, but those who don't drive their cars shouldn't
criticize people who do.

What happens to that perfect car when you die, we're all going to die, some sooner than others but I digress.
With parents who lived to their early 90's and with a clean biological system chances are high I have another
30 years. And when I'm taking my last breaths I "hope" my thoughts are the thousands and thousands of miles I drove
The Ark, the thousands of people who saw it and enjoyed it, the FUN I had with the car and KNOWING the car goes on
with the Amster family.

Imagine thinking "jeez I should have driven that car more, now what...."

To each their own peace.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: bcroe on December 30, 2023, 03:05:26 PMI must interject, in my opinion Laurie is treating the 70 the best
possible way.  Sure some ancient econobox driven hard may
not last too long.  I drove 60s cars 40,000 miles a year, and
spent a lot on keeping them repaired.  But by the late 70s all
my earlier problems had been engineered out.  No more blown
transmissions, that TH400 is bulletproof.  No more broken
suspension, good cooling systems, V8s that did not care
how you drive them, long as the oil and water were OK.  Brakes
and a rear axle that will not quit. 

All that stuff on Lauries car has been brought up to date, and is
serving well.  Yes there might be a hose or valve or alternator

Keep driving, work out a few 50 year old weaknesses.  I would
rather drive my car than look at it, so after 1.5 million miles some
non factory solutions have been worked out.  Steel and plastic
are replaced with stainless steel or copper.  Just about anything
that moves is on a maintenance schedule.  No tower clamps here. 
And you cannot have too many gauges, which can usually be done
a lot more neatly than a row under the dash.  The 82 I am working
on today has this century, been to all 4 boundaries of the US and
around the Great Lakes thru Canada without breakdown.  And at
the limit of performance the law allows, at least. 

I suppose some were more reckless at a younger age, I never was. 
Bruce Roe

Oh c'mon Bruce, you're young, still plenty of time left to be reckless.  ;)

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville