News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

346 V8 Remote Oil Filter Install

Started by Russell, April 12, 2007, 06:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell

Hey Guys, I need urgent help on how to install a remote oil filter to my 346 caddy flathead.
I am assembling it right now and it needs to be done before it could be too late.
I heard Cadillac may have even done a bulletin on this, but I dont know where to look it up.
There has got to be some knowledge out there that can solve this in one email.
Many thanks, Russ
Waiting for a stampede.....

John Washburn CLC #1067

Russell,

Not sure what to tell ya? If you have the oil filter set up it is pretty easy to figure out how to hook it up, except for the line that goes to the front of the timing cover.

Anyway, what is the specific problem? You want a picture of a couple of different ones on the engine?

John Washburn
CLC #1067

Russell

Hi John, I got a 346 engine I am rebuilding for my self and want to add a remote filter, just wanted to know where to hook it up on the block, I have no info and I am sailing blind on this one. Was unsure where to start since a Ford flathead giuy tells me with the fords a hole must be drilled into the block.

I am starting to figure that the Caddy has existing bolt in points , if so I just need to know where they are and if there is any thing that I need to do to ensure that it will work correctly since I have also heard from other that some engines require blank off stuff to ensure the correct direction of flow etc.

Any comments pics or direction to site or forums would be helpful.

Many thanks, Russ.

Doug Houston

Im a bit foggy on whether you have a problem with the filter mounting or not. There were two mounting places for filters (all bypass types)  on the 346 engine. All of the filters were aftermarket products. The ones Ive seen were either Fram or Purolator.

On the pre-41 engines, the bracket had to be mounted high on the driver side of the engine, because of the narrow engine compartment. Starting in 1941, a bracket for the filter was made available for mounting on the front end of the driver side cylinder head. That carried throuigh 1948.

In all cases, they usd a tee fitting in the front end of the oil gallery, where the feed tube takes off, and goes to the lifter fitting beneath the intake manifold. The filter inlet is connected to this tee fitting, along with the lifter feed pipe.

The filter outlet line has a banjo fitting in it for a 5/16 hollow bolt. This hollow bolt and banjo fitting replaces one of the bolts from the timing case. The oil from the filter then squirts into the timing case.

Does that help?

Russell

Fantastic, each reply is filling in the gaps.
I have got it now. It was the block connection points that I was mainly interested in.
I had been waiting for a Guy up in Detroit to send me a detailed copy of this install but he has not got it to me in time.
At least I do not need to drill the block like in the case of Ford installs.

Many thanks again to all you young Caddy guys out there.
Russ.

Herman #19416

Russ

If you have the time look at my webb site I created during my restoration of a 1948 6267x.  The section which talks about the engine install will show you the location of the lines and the fittings from the block and timing cover, and the two lines going to the filter assembly.  If you look closely you will see the fittings and their location.  The fitting from the timing cover is as stated elsewhere, second bolt from bottom, drivers side is a hollow bolt with a hole in it.  This one may be hard to find but they are out there and if you have a problem finding one e-mail me and I will try to look for one in my stash of parts.

Herman

The site is desserconsulting.com

Russell

Thanks Herman, what a great website. Congratulations on the quality and content of your work.

There is certainly a lot to go thru and look at, which I will being doing over the next couple of days.

I guess we have solved my problem for now.

Regards, Russ.