News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Resonator-Tailpipe 1973 Coupe Deville.

Started by 34837, April 03, 2024, 08:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello, After driving car for awhile when heated. a rattle appeared, seems the rear tailpipe hanger needs replacing, also the pipe it self in mushed slightly, too many curbs. According to my paper work the muffler was replaced in the 80's, seems to be holding up. However there is no longer a resonator in place, probably removed at that time. Should I reinstall the resonator, apparently a quieter vehicle but was it popular to remove it for better performance? Thanks, A (the pic is my wife telling me "we can't afford it!" the day we did.)

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Arch
The resonator is exactly that. It is a straight through muffler and has a very negligible effect on performance but does quiet down the exhaust "rumble".
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Thanks Greg, food for thought. Not sure what happened to pic in previous message.IMG_2338.jpg Arch

Highwayman68

I added the resonator back in a couple of years ago when I redid the exhaust on my 68 to help quiet down the rumble. It's a personal choice more than anything.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

TJ Hopland

I think the resonator and muffler were a 'tuned' set so if either of them isn't the original spec or designed to work together you may not get the original results.  I have added them and had them fall off where it really didn't make a noticeable difference.  I would imagine the distances and maybe curves come into play too. 

Many quiet muffler designs including many of the stock ones have a soft insulation material inside them that is held in place with a wire mesh.  With short trips and a lot of sitting the mesh rots out and lets the insulation move and restrict the flow so you can have a muffler that looks new on the outside but is blocking flow internally.  They are nice and quiet when they are like that but if you are thinking performance isn't what it once was that could be one reason.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason