News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Restoring 55' Cadillac Coupe Series 62. Can I use 1956' Caddy Sedan parts?

Started by moto1969, July 04, 2017, 06:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moto1969

I am restoring a 1955 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe.  I have the opportunity to buy a 1956 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan for a parts car.  I need the multiple parts to restore my 55' Cadillac Series 62 Coupe.  For example, I need to replace my hood, drivers side door, steering wheel, power steering cap, stock wheels, front windshield, valve covers, leather or vinyl dash, radio, some suspension parts, gas tanks, etc.. you get the picture.  Is this a viable candidate to use as a parts car?
Most of the parts I listed are available on 56' Cadillac Series 62 Sedan so I have the option of acquiring it and saving lots of cash to replace the parts I need.
Looking for forum members advise which parts will fit my 55' cadillac.  Maybe no parts will fit except engine parts?  I will attach a image of the car.  Thanks to all.
jemedina

Eldovert

Moto,
All of the sheet metal is different between the two cars..the engines are different (331 vs 365)... transmissions are quite a bit different..some of the front suspension is the same. The front w/s might be the same (measure height)
You can probably swap the engine and trans (as a unit) between the two cars.
Cheers,Pat MacPhail

The Tassie Devil(le)

I know with the Chevrolet, the windscreen heights for the coupe and Sedan are different, as in the Coupe being shorter, so I would think that the Cadillac would be the same.

Actually, it could be that the Cadillac Coupe shares the same screen as the Chevrolet and Pontiac Coupes.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

J. Gomez

Pat is 100% correct..!  ;)

In addition the 1956 is/was a one year only on multiple areas specially in the sheet metal side. It does have a few small parts that do interchange with the 1955 but those are minor ones.

Your best bet is to go down to 1954 which you could have the best luck for interchangeable parts.

Good luck...!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Roger Zimmermann

The windshield from the '56 Sedan will not fit a coupe. The other car with the same windshield is a Buick super or Roadmaster coupe or convertible.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

moto1969

Are the wheels different?  I have 55' hubcaps but they don't fit the existing wheels, so I thought I could use the ones off the 56' on available sedan.  I guess at this point I could buy individual components like the power steering cap, California license plates (2x) since are missing, spare tire and car jack, radio, steering wheel (existing one is cracked), and instrument lights and dials?  Someone mentioned front suspension parts.  Can you listed them?  Thanks.
jemedina

goofyhb

Quote from: moto1969 on July 04, 2017, 06:50:23 PM
steering wheel, power steering cap, stock wheels, front windshield, valve covers, leather or vinyl dash, radio, some suspension parts, gas tanks,
With the sheet metal and engine/trans covered in other posts we are in or under the car. The radio is different, the steering wheel is different, the wheels are different, the rear axle is different, the front shocks are different. I guess the dash cover is different because of the difference between Coupe and SDV. You should be able to use the wheels and the rear axle. The diff is different, so your speedo would be slightly wrong. Steering wheel looks different, but I think it will mount in a 55. The radio is different and sits in a different location in a 56, so you would have to change a bit more. If you are going for a all original Restoration I would look for a different parts car.
1955 Series 62 Sedan http://bit.ly/1Ri914p
1949 Buick 56S
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Fleetwood

moto1969

Thanks to all for the valuable information concerning the use of the 56' cadillac parts car available to purchase.  At this point I am not looking to restore 100% but a 55' cadillac I can drive initially so I will be using some of the parts listed on the forum that will fit like the steering wheel, wheels, power steering cap, etc..then I will gather what I can to complete a 100% restoration.  Anyway, that is the immediate plan to buy the parts that fit and available.  I will not buy this 56' Cadillac Sedan to interchange major parts for my 55 Cadillac Coupe Series 62 I guess even at the low low price of 600.00 dollars.
Again thanks to all for the great advice and insight to the possible swap of other car parts!!!!
jemedina

m-mman

It wasnt mentioned above so I will include it here.
You mentioned that you wanted a drivers door for your "coupe". (2 door) the 56 parts car is a 4 door It will not fit. The number of doors makes a huge difference concerning the interchangeability of most all parts. 

You also were using the word "sedan" to describe the pictured 56 parts car. Specifically it is a Sedan DeVille. This makes it a 4 door HARDTOP which is very different from a 4 door SEDAN -  (series 62 or 60 special) which has a post between the doors.

1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

Lexi

Yes, the '55 and '56 Caddies do look quite similar, however there are many differences. In many respects the '56 was a one off year. I agree with the comments that while some small parts would be interchangeable, overall this is not a suitable donor car for your project. Clay/Lexi

wooky-chew-bacca

Quote from: J. Gomez on July 04, 2017, 10:44:36 PMPat is 100% correct..!  ;)

In addition the 1956 is/was a one year only on multiple areas specially in the sheet metal side. It does have a few small parts that do interchange with the 1955 but those are minor ones.

Your best bet is to go down to 1954 which you could have the best luck for interchangeable parts.

Good luck...!

I know I'm knocking dust off this thread (new here but familiar with how this works here). My first search brought me to this thread. My question is about my son's 1954 Cadillac, Series 62 Sedan (post, not hardtop), we are looking for front fenders and wondering what, if any, other years fenders will fit. I know the grill and front bumper is a "one year only" with the location of the parking lights and the bullets.

Any responses will be appreciated as 1954s are hard to find

Cadillac Jack 82

54 and 55 share many similarities.  As mentioned above don't source a 56 or you'll be kicking dirt and cursing the sky wondering why nothing works.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

dn010

According to the interchange manual, all model 1954 front fenders interchange with 1955-1956 series 75 models only, not 55-56 series 62s.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean