News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

76 eldorado convertible rebuild

Started by Leary75, July 02, 2020, 06:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaR

Leary75

Still waiting on the engine, but took the time to get my living room painted.   Major points scored with my wife which will buy me a lot of car time  :D

Bruce, you were right, and the crankshaft is slightly bent, about .060 off.   The shop that is doing the grinding has a straightener.  Basically they told me they will either get it straight or it will snap, so fingers crossed.   Should find out this week.  Rock auto has a remanufactured one if all else fails. 

Also needed 2 connecting rods on 7 & 8.   

Should get back to the heads this weekend, and hopefully can get the engine back soon.   

-Brian
1976 Eldorado Convertible

Leary75

Well, the crank did snap, so I ended up having to get a new one.  Good news is that rock auto had one in stock and it came with bearings. 

Had some time last weekend to clean and reassemble the heads with my new springs from cad company.  Excited to start putting things back together. 

Question... what do people like for engine paint.  Deciding between KBS motor coaster and Eastwood engine enamel.  Suggestions?

Thanks, Brian

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Brian,

Sorry to hear that the Crank actually broke, as Cast cranks usually do that, whereas a steel crank will straighten.

At least it didn't break whilst spinning.   That could have caused more "terminal" damage to everything else.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Leary75

Quick update, I get the engine block back tomorrow!   Been busy painting accessories, and reading the engine bay.   Will be back soon with lots of pics of the engine assembly. 

Tonight I rebuilt the power steering pump while on a conference call.  Very simple, elegant design.   

Thanks, Brian

Leary75

So, it’s been a while.  Finally got the engine completely rebuilt and back in the car.  The engine building process was tedious but fun, and I took the opportunity to clean up all the accessory pulleys and brackets.   Here is a before and after of the engine when it blew and back in the car. 

Leary75

Here are a few pics of the engine assembly itself.  Block is bored to 0.030 over.  I have a mild rev cam from cad company, a flowkooler water pump and a blueprinted, high flow oil pump.  I also got a new intake manifold from a carbureted car, as the air flow channels on the old efi intake were more constricted, and not really made for air/fuel mix. 

My middle son was very into the engine build.  He has a cameo in a couple of the pics.  By getting the block machined only and doing the build up myself, the total cost was under 3k for the full build, so I am really happy with the whole thing. 

Thanks, Brian

Leary75

And finally all back in the car and ready to cruise.   Did the first oil change after the cam break in yesterday, and got the exhaust installed today.   Purrs like a kitten (a kitten with a ton of torque)  :D

Enjoy!
-Brian

DeVille68

1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

hornetball

MaR

Leary75

Thanks everyone, engine is breaking in nicely, and running smoothly.   I am on to the next project, fixing the climate control.  I have a diagnostic book from Cadillac Tim, and I am going to troubleshoot this weekend.   Also it is back in the 60’s up here so should have some decent cruising weather for the next week!

Need to get the heat pumping if I want to take any winter drives.   (I am the crazy guy in a parka driving a convertible on a sunny 30 degree day)

MaR

Quote from: Leary75 on November 04, 2020, 03:00:33 PM
Thanks everyone, engine is breaking in nicely, and running smoothly.   I am on to the next project, fixing the climate control.  I have a diagnostic book from Cadillac Tim, and I am going to troubleshoot this weekend.   Also it is back in the 60’s up here so should have some decent cruising weather for the next week!

Need to get the heat pumping if I want to take any winter drives.   (I am the crazy guy in a parka driving a convertible on a sunny 30 degree day)
I just got the heat working in my '74 for the exact same thing!

James Landi

The late James Gandolfini of "The Sopranos" fame had a very used 68 Cadillac convertible that he drove during the winter with the top down.  According to family members, it was his prized possession.

Leary75

It’s been a while since I did much on the caddy.  Was able to drive in right up to January, but then we go a lot of snow, and the salt that comes with it.  Not wanting to re-re do my floors anytime soon, she has been tucked away in the garage. 

Well we are back into the 50’s, so I thought I would tackle my next little project on the car, the steering wheel.   It is in real rough shape.  I have a bit of the seat leather leftover, so I have decided to have it leather wrapped instead of restoring the original.  I have removed it, and will be filling the major voids with epoxy, and smoothing it back down.   I am having the shop that did my seats do the stitching on the leather so I am hoping it comes out pretty sweet.   

Couple of before pics for your viewing pleasure.  Going to take the opportunity to re-paint the rear cover and the column neck too.  Also may polish the shifter and cruise shafts. 

-Brian

James Landi

Ahhh the sounds of progress, and with a couple of days of "mock spring."  Can convertible weather be close at hand, and with the covid crisis coming to end, driving that beautiful car around town will get more than just "thumbs up"--- perhaps a standing ovation!  Thanks for posting on your progress.  Makes many of us happy,   James

Leary75

Hahaha.  Thanks James.  I am really enjoying bringing this beautiful machine back to some of its former glory.   Made a little progress today, cleaned and primed the collar, and the wheel spokes. Will be painting the rear cover tomorrow while it

dennisspeaks

WOW that was quite the undertaking, kudos.  Hopefully someone will get the dimensions of the tank when they take it off and send them tone of the manufacturers to see what they can do for us Eldorado owners or see if they match up with Toranado tanks.
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1976 Eldorado convertible
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1990 Sedan Deville -gave to son
1988 Fleetwood Brougham - gave to daughter
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442
1975 Caprice Classic Sold

Leary75

Been a while since I updated.  I did get the steering wheel re-wrapped.  I feel like the stitching could be better, but overall I am happy I did it.  It took a while, and in the meantime, I also replaced the front right wheel bearing, and the driver side door pins.   Door sag was eliminated, and the car drives a bit safer with the new bearing. 

Finally, I replaced the transmission pan gasket.   Now I can take the drip pan off the floor of the garage 😆

Lots of driving lately, I love floating around I this bad boy.  I even let my son take it to school one day...   just one. 

Happy driving!
Brian

James Landi

My Dad bought me a '61 CAdillac convertible for me when I was a sophomore in college in 1965.   I never had a desire to own another brand of car ever since!  Happy day,  James