News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

headlights out, please help if you can

Started by Brett 21441, March 21, 2005, 11:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett 21441

Hey folks,

Been driving my 71 lately and really enjoying. However, the headlights are out, parking lights and dash lights work though. I have been able to wiggle the headlight switch and sometimes they pop on.....could the switch itself be bad? I tend to doubt it is a connection since it is probably a high pressure/torque plastic fitting with a retainer clip...

any thoughts folks? where can I buy a headlight switch mail order? two babies limit my parts-store times :)

Thanks,

Brett

Porter 21919

George

It sounds like the switch is bad, but dont spend out and then find it is just a dirty connection. Its worth taking the switch out and cleaning it. Remember its an old car.

Brett 21441

Never cleaned a switch before..I have heard of some sprays that are safe for electrics but it has been a long time.

If I do need a switch, where can I buy one with the SENTINEL feature (like the one I have?)

Thanks,

Brett

George

WD 40 if you can get it where you live.

JIM CLC # 15000

03-22-05
Brett, two ways, first the easy way
Get a spray can of electronic cleaner, at most auto parts stores, or try radio shack.
Spray into switch and operate sw, allow to dry before re-connecting battery. The liquid drys fast, just drain it out of the hole/space you sprayed it into.
Hard way.
Disassumble the switch, careful, it has springs in it,  and wipe the 326 parts untill clean, apply white grease to contacts, re-assumble.
Good Luck, you can do it, Jim

Ivan Zanatta

DONT use WD40 , it leaves a residue which dust, etc loves to stick to.This will give you problems later. Use switch cleaner spray, and, while the stuff is still dripping out of the switch,
exercise (operate ) the switch a few times to dislodge the crud on the contacts. Of course do all this WITHOUT the power connected. While the multi-pin connector is off the back, look inside for blackened or burnt pins. If none are visible, give the connecter a squirt of cleaner too, and again whilst it is still wet, insert/ remove the plug a couple of times.

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

Regarding headlight outage with running lights still working. You may want to check the Fusible Link wire from the starter to the headlight switch first. Corrosion or an open circuit can cause the condition you describe.  The headlights are fed direct from the starter, whereas the running lights are fed from the fuse box.  Also the Cadillac headlight switch has a bimetal circuit breaker in the switch if the headlamp circuit gets to hot it cuts out, then as it cools makes contact again. Check your headlights, these circuits were designed for the amp load of standard sealed beam headlamps, I have found the Halogen variety replacemnts to be slightly higher load.  If your headlights go on and then off and then on again you could be tripping the circuit breaker. Other items to be aware of: 1)bad dimmer switch on floor, and 2)the hidden spring loaded pin on the headlamp switch to pull the handle out of the dash.

Brett 21441

How do I identify the fusible link? How can I tell if it is good? I had a problem with some starter connection wires (looks like a few down there) recently- maybe this is it....

I dont mind putting in a new foot dimmer switch, last time I bought one they were about $6 and if this might rule this out than I can justify it.. trying to avoid a $300 visit to the mechanic..

George

Do I remember you said when you wiggle the switch the lights flick on and off If this is the case the problem is not a fusible link on the floor, the problem is the switch or the wire connected too it.