News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Vibration

Started by 1957 Eldorado, October 14, 2013, 01:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1957 Eldorado

Hi there
I recently purchased a 1957 Eldorado. I had the car shipped from the east coast to the west coast. I drove the car to its new home which is approx 200 miles. The car drove as I expected fairly smooth , transmission was a little jerky , the front end is tight and the motor strong. A couple of immediate issues was the high idling and vibration at around 50 mph. Any thoughts on theses 2 concerns.
I'm hoping they are easy fixes eg, sticky linkage and unbalanced tires. I don't think the cat has been driven much in the last few years.
Thx

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
  I had that same problem with a  1957 Eldorado Seville . Vibration at 50 mph . I replaced the carrier bearing and sent the drive shaft out to be balanced . That fixed my vibration Problem .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

MY 59

I would agree with Bill and get the tailshaft balanced
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

Jon S

To address the high idle - it could be sticking carburater linkage, a faulty dash pot or simply an over-adjusted idle speed screw
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Dave Shepherd

I would suggest a little further  diagnosis before jumping into the drive shaft, check the center support for looseness as well as the "u" joints, make sure the shaft is not kinked or bent, look for a bent wheel or an out of round tire especially in the rear.

Jon S

I agree with Dave. It could even be an old tire with belt seperation not visable on the outside. I had 2 tires do that!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

n2caddies

For cars I keep and drive I always replace the center support, bearing and u-joints then have the driveline assembly balanced. There is a world of difference on the stress on these old worn components when driven at highway speeds vs just around town.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

dplotkin

Just remember that two peice drive shafts are more sensitive to pinion angle than straight ones and if you change ride height (or if ride height changes because of tired springs), it will vibrate at certain speeds and might change going up or down a hill or with luggage/passengers. With all due respect to the other posters above, I would first confirm your wheels/tires are balanced properly and then follow the shop manual instructions for adjusting pinion angle. I can just about guarantee you that if it is not in the wheels, tires or brake drums, its in the angle!

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

LeRoy DeVol

I agree with all the previous posts but have one more thing to add. I had the same problem with my 47 Cad. and the problem turned out to be the rear transmission mount. Over years the mount becomes soaked with oil & crushed with age and allows the trans. to rest on the frame & vibrate.

Lee DeVol

Jay Friedman

I had a vibration in my  '49 at about 50 mph which was cured with the drive shaft being rebuilt with new yokes, a new tube and new universal joints.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."