News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Please stay home, go polish some chrome.

Started by 76eldo, March 22, 2020, 11:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

savemy67

Hello Scot,

I can definitely say your car is the best looking car on the lot!

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

gkhashem

Quote from: D.Smith on March 22, 2020, 05:20:41 PM
If you do take your classic out for a drive just be careful.

I've noticed that on the highways in my area people are driving crazier than ever.    Speeding and erratic lane changes.     Yes I know it has always been like that in most areas, but now it seems far worse as people are in panic mode.     And even on the side roads I've noticed a lot of erratic driving, people running red lights if there is no cross traffic, etc.   

So if you do take your classic out, be more defensive than ever.

More dangerous than ever in Connecticut? How could it be any worse than before? Another reason to shelter in place outside of CT.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Scot Minesinger

Chris, thanks and it was a month ago too.

I do not notice traffic any worse than before, if anything due to less cars it is way better.

The cure is worse than the disease.  America (and the world) just cannot sustain a lock down for much longer.  My neighbors have been trying to get some trees cut down and no one would do it.  I think I will to earn a few extra thousand over the next week just in case.  My friend's 50 person contracting company cut everyone on payroll by 70%!, you read that right a 50k per year employee now earns 15k (about minimum wage).  All this over less than 500 people dying in the country over a month (the number of people that die in CA every day)!  I'm doing what they say, but object strenuously. 

Look how nice the under carriage detailing has held up over the last 8 years on my 1970 DVC.  Took this during tire change Saturday.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

rwchatham CLC 21892

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on March 23, 2020, 08:53:12 PM
Chris, thanks and it was a month ago too.

I do not notice traffic any worse than before, if anything due to less cars it is way better.

The cure is worse than the disease.  America (and the world) just cannot sustain a lock down for much longer.  My neighbors have been trying to get some trees cut down and no one would do it.  I think I will to earn a few extra thousand over the next week just in case.  My friend's 50 person contracting company cut everyone on payroll by 70%!, you read that right a 50k per year employee now earns 15k (about minimum wage).  All this over less than 500 people dying in the country over a month (the number of people that die in CA every day)!  I'm doing what they say, but object strenuously. 

Look how nice the under carriage detailing has held up over the last 8 years on my 1970 DVC.  Took this during tire change Saturday.

Why don’t you send a few of your friends that are taking a pay cut over to cut the trees , you can solve 2 problems at once .  Hey it’s no big deal it’s just a cold , tell that to all the cancer patients that aren’t getting their treatments right now because the hospitals are overflowing with corona patients .  Go see what’s going on at the hospitals and then you’ll see how ridiculous your comments are .
R. Waligora

Scot Minesinger

rwchatham, My comments are not ridiculous and neither are yours, but they differ.

It is understood that many will not agree with my comments, and that is Ok, we agree to disagree.  However, I am staying home and distancing along with everyone else and am behaving like the portion of the public that disagrees with me.  Sometimes you have to do what you do not want to, and I am. 

The friends of mine with pay cuts are not capable of cutting down the trees.  They do not have training, talent, physical ability and etc. unfortunately.  I am not destitute and will help others with the funds earned.  BTW my neighbors decided against selling assets devalued now 35% from a month ago to fund this, so it is a no go for now.

I have many friends in the medical field and none of them have informed me that they are turning away patients.  It is understood that in the near future they may have to, but we always seem to get thru these things.  My sister works at a hospital as a nurse and she has not seen patients with other illnesses turned away.  Our local CLC director is the hospital for a bad fall with broken bones and requires weeks of hospital care, and they are not trying to cut short his needed treatment.

At the beginning of this post I objected to it as a topic, because even though not intended, it is political.  Since I do not agree with it, and it is a discussion forum it seems that it is OK to write an opinion either way, albeit my opinion is not popular.  Wish I knew a better solution, hence my compliance with the current shut down policy. 

Making it Cadillac, here is a picture of a modified 1969 Cadillac I'm working on, almost done.

76eldo

Suggesting  that people stay home to stay healthy and alive is not expressing a political view. I posted it a day or two before the country basically shut down.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

BlackCads

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on March 22, 2020, 07:24:49 PM
Bringing it back to Cadillac, today I changed the 7 year old tires on my 1970 SDV that had 8k miles on them, and sold them used.  Then I drove to an auto parts store at a strip mall as a test drive.  Enjoy the photographic evidence.
Car looks great. Hardtop sedans are my favorite body style. I assume you are going to wash that blue stuff off the whitewalls.
Enjoy that car and stay safe!

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on March 24, 2020, 02:56:11 PM

here is a picture of a modified 1969 Cadillac I'm working on, almost done.

Your '69 DVC convertible is attractive, and the spoke wheels are a nice touch.  I am a big fan of the 1.625" whitewalls on these cars.  Is the color Astral Blue?  Sans body-side trim, I can envision Fleetwood lower body trim on it.  If you are missing the chrome weatherstrip channels for the rear quarter windows, send me a message.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

rwchatham CLC 21892

Scott I guess ridiculous comments are a matter of opinion I  can live with that . Your sister must live in a state that hasn’t been heavily effected yet thankfully , here in Michigan nurses are having to wash their masks and reuse them to get through the day and are swamped , I hear it everyday when my wife comes home from the hospital . I have a good friend who’s radiation has been put in hold due to the hospitals being overworked . We just had a police officer in Detroit die from this crap , now a lot of coppers know they might die in the streets of Detroit but from this ? I come to this site to check out Cadillacs not to hear somebody quoting trump isms like Don t make the cure worse than the disease . And don’t think I’m a trump hater hell I voted for him 4 years ago but he’s been way behind on this issue .so no personal harm meant towards you at all  but I don’t really come here to listen to someone quote political comments . One last thing you might want to tell your neighbors to get a new financial adviser because if they have to sell assets when they are down to cut down a few trees then they are not really invested properly .
R. Waligora

The Tassie Devil(le)

Just a short note to remind everyone to please stay away from political comment.

Everyone has their political allegiances, and thus, as with this horrible Covid-19, please keep them to yourselves.

Thanks,

Bruce  >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff Wilk

And when did people dying become political?  Here in the NY/NJ area tens of thousands are infected from community spread, the deaths are climbing rapidly and now nearing 300, and our front line first responders are woefully under equipped and falling ill themselves. Critical transplant surgeries are canceled, cancer treatments postponed, and certain medications are becoming unobtainable. I know......my family members and friends are working with patients in the ER’s and running 911 calls in the epicenter regardless of who they come from. For those in parts of the country not YET affected in any great way, you should give thanks and pray that it doesn’t get this bad everywhere. For those staying home and following hygiene protocols thank you.....especially if you don’t believe. We can continue to restore our Cadillacs and enjoy showing them hopefully in the fall. The families that lose friends and loved ones from this virus will lose them forever.  Still not political.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

chrisntam

I think I'll social distance in my '70 in a day or two for about 100 miles on the highway.  Gas is around $1.85 a gallon for ethyl (Hi-Test) and it'll be in the mid 80s, I can exercise my a/c system.

Scot - That's a good looking pup you got there!  Thanks for posting the pics.  Tell the '69 owner he needs to get that side trim back on!!!!   ;)

Living in the times of Covid-19 not good (for anyone).  We should be doing driving tours and firming up plans for the GN...  >:(
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Scot Minesinger

Jeff,  You are welcome, I'm staying home and distancing myself form everyone - even my daughter because her roommate is a nurse.  In DC area where I am - just see financial devastation, no medical impact. 

All,  There is a great article in the NY Times that deals with the optimal way to protect everyone without destroying the economy. 

rwchatham,  The opinions and numbers I stated in my post were my own, not restating famous persons' words. 

chisntam,  The 69 Caddy really looks better without the side trim, but I would not do that to my car because too many door dings possible - it is a heavily modified car.  I replaced vacuum line, fixed the blocked exhaust pipe, replaced the failed gasket at intake to carb (major vac leake), replaced the kinked pump to carb fuel line, the changed faulty spark plug wires, adjusted the timing, and it runs way better.  It has a 1974 engine.

Major bummer the GN is cancelled.

Jeff Wilk

That is too bad about the GN but it is the right call by the CLC Board. I applaud them for making this very tough decision to protect our members as well as the untold numbers of others this could unknowingly be past too from those who are asymptomatic particularly as this virus moves from coast to coast over the next several weeks.   Our cars have lived through all sorts of things. This is the right choice to make sure we are all still around to enjoy them for years to come.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Scot Minesinger

I passed this GN 2020 cancellation on to my local chapter, and one of the local officers says that GN is not officially cancelled.  Agree it probably should be cancelled given that the majority of the people that attend are vulnerable.

chrisntam

Yeah normally we’d get an email or there would be post here about it, but I’m expecting it...
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

SixDucks

Hello all,

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=159319.msg457397#msg457397

This year's event is still on at this time. Hopefully things turn for the better as quickly as things went south.

Terry

Edit....
The link I posted was dated March 16, 2020. This year's event may in fact be cancelled and the link I posted may not have been updated.

Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

Dan LeBlanc

Well, the announcement was made on the Modified Chapter board by a CLC board member, so it's on pretty good authority. 
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

jdemerson

Scot,

Great photo!! I just downloaded it. Now THAT boosts our spirits! And there's even a great Cadillac in the photo, so your post will stay up...

Thanks!
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn