News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Wanted: Factory's instructions on dealer-installed rear window defogger 1971-6

Started by Tom Hall 7485, February 14, 2008, 08:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Hall 7485

Besides the ceramic grid rear window defogger that was installed at the factory, a basic heater and blower sort of like a hair dryer were available as a dealer-installed option for many 1971-6 Cadillacs. Probably available on other GM brands as well.

Can anyone provide me a copy of GM's instructions to the dealer regarding installation?

Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Lee71CoupeDV

Tom,

Perhaps I can help you with this... I have a 1971 Coupe DeVille in Casablanca Yellow with Jade vinyl top and Jade Leather interior that I acquired in October 2006. Paint is original to 1971 (made in 02/71). I was actually able to find a 1971 Cadillac post card of the same car in my color combination. Car has 54,000 original miles and I am in the process of adding factory and dealer installed options to it.  I have been adding the factory cruise control, electric door locks, electric seat back lock releases, guidematic, sentinel, wonderbar am/fm stereo, auxillary 8-track player under dash, trunk pull down/electric release, four-note horm option, and the rear window defogger (fan blown air) option to the car.  Two years ago, I was able to come across a NOS rear window defogger package pretty much complete in the box except for the dash mounted switch.  I believe it is probably more set up to be used on the '74-76 Deville, but the schematic and grille template were enclosed which should guide me through the installation. I now have a '71-73 switch, and the grille/blower mechanism is the same for '71-76. I think the rear window electric grid type of defroster/defogger didn't become available until '73 on the Deville from what I have observed in slavage yard excursions. The papers are a bit fragile, but I have scanned them on my computer into six Adobe PDF files.

I am new to posting on this forum, so if I cannot post them here, I will try sending an email direct to you.

Do you have any information or photos on the exact location of where the wonderbar footswitch mounts on a 1971 Cadillac DeVille?

Regards,

Barry L. Smith
Barry Smith Morgantown, WV 
CLC#24718 
1995 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Lee71CoupeDV

Tom,

Here goes a try of the Adobe files of the defogger instructions/schematic/template date 07-16-73.

Barry L. Smith
CLC#24718 
1995 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Lee71CoupeDV

Tom,

Try #2 for page two.

Barry L. Smith

CLC#24718 
1995 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Lee71CoupeDV

Tom,

Try #3, Page 3.

Barry L. Smith
CLC#24718 
1995 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Lee71CoupeDV

CLC#24718 
1995 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Lee71CoupeDV

CLC#24718 
1995 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Lee71CoupeDV

Tom,

Page 2 of grid template.

Barry L. Smith
CLC#24718 
1995 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Tom Hall 7485

Thank you very much.  I'm sure this is basically the rig for all 1971-6 cars on which this could be installed.
There are more types of switches possible than I expected!
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.