News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Is there any way to remove the cable and mirror from an rear view mirror?

Started by joecaristo, April 12, 2020, 09:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecaristo

Can you remove the cable and mirror? I have a car with a power outside mirror and want to swap the chrome with this regular one. Back in the 70's if the mirror broke did they swap the whole unit? Thanks.
Joe Caristo

fishnjim

Electric or manual?   Depends on what wrong with it probably.
Usually if the mirror got hit enough to break, the housing did to, so a replacement needed.  What junk yards were good for.   
Some preservationists claim to "demirror" and put a new one on, but I've never done one.   I've always replaced articulating mirrors.   The truck ones aren't cheap...  Same for interior ones.   The mirror goes on last and mirror "glue" is kinda permanent.   
Someone assembled it so it must come apart, but the silver comes off with the glue getting to it.

joecaristo

I have an electric mirror with pitted chrome and I wanted to swap the chrome with this nos manual one. Maybe the toggle wires detach? Did someone ever do this before? thanks.
Joe Caristo

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I've never heard of swapping the guts from a power mirror to the housing of a cable mirror being done. I would imagine variations inside the housing to be different therefore likely not practical. Mikey C would be the one to consult on this.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

joecaristo

Thanks Eric. The only thing different is the cable. The mirror attachment and the housing are the same between the power and the manual. The only thing I could see is spreading the retainer on the toggle to release the wires to swap the chrome. I didn't want to try it until I heard from someone in case it can't be done.
Joe Caristo

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: joecaristo on April 12, 2020, 04:57:20 PM
Thanks Eric. The only thing different is the cable. The mirror attachment and the housing are the same between the power and the manual. The only thing I could see is spreading the retainer on the toggle to release the wires to swap the chrome. I didn't want to try it until I heard from someone in case it can't be done.
The problem is the zinc-based diecast that is used for the retainer on the toggle. It is very brittle, and trying to open up the slots to release the cables almost certainly results in a broken retainer. If it miraculously survives this step, then upon re-insertion of the cable and re-crimping, the break will occur. This is a problem with all of the chrome shrouded mirrors starting in 1968, and going through 1992 on the Broughams.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

joecaristo

Upon further inspection I think Charles is right. These mirrors are a one time put it together deal. The pieces that hold the toggle and mirror together look like they will break if pried apart. If you do get it apart, it probably won't go back together. Its too risky. I still would like to know if anybody attempted it though. I'm curious. Thanks for the replies.
Joe
Joe Caristo

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: joecaristo on April 12, 2020, 07:39:08 PM
Upon further inspection I think Charles is right. These mirrors are a one time put it together deal. The pieces that hold the toggle and mirror together look like they will break if pried apart. If you do get it apart, it probably won't go back together. Its too risky. I still would like to know if anybody attempted it though. I'm curious. Thanks for the replies.
Joe
Ask me how I know...  Been there, done that.

Charles Fares
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

cadillacmike68

So you broke one Charles?

I never tried it, just bought another mirror on fleabay. 1968 is the hardest year to find so you should have much less of a problem Joe.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

The Tassie Devil(le)

One has to be very careful when spreading the arm/s, as they are fragile.  Best to only bend one so if it breaks, it is possible to use the remaining "stalk", as a support when reassembly time comes.

It is possible, as when doing a proper RHD conversion, the short wires from the left mirror have to be swapped with the long wires on the right mirror, so one doesn't have to lean across to the left side to adjust the mirror when seated on the right side.

I will have to dig out my pictures.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on April 12, 2020, 09:38:14 PM
So you broke one Charles?

I never tried it, just bought another mirror on fleabay. 1968 is the hardest year to find so you should have much less of a problem Joe.
Yes, unfortunately. I had a '68 mirror in great condition except that part of the casting in the base had broken off, and could not be retained to the car.  I thought I'd take it apart to change the base. The tabs in the retainer broke, rendering the cable assembly useless. That was all water under the bridge, though. Over the years I acquired three '68 LH mirrors, including a very nice early one with the actual brushed chrome finish, rather than the "deckled" finish. Got a few spare ones for '69k and '70 as well.

Charles Fares
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

79 Eldorado

I'm having a difficult time understanding exactly what part is the one at risk of breaking. Is it the part which secures the cable ends to the pivot behind the mirror glass?

I partially repaired the side view mirror on a 1984 Toronado. The attachment point for one of the cables behind the mirror glass corroded off. I tried to solder it with zero luck. I finally added an eyelet crimp connector to the end of the cable. I drilled another hole near the corroded area and I was able to use a small lag screw to attach the cable. The problem with that repair is that the new, effective, cable length was different. So as I recall you couldn't move the mirror the full travel and you could tell by the joystick motion something was different. Maybe my failure mode was different than the crimped section being discussed?

In reading the thread I was wondering if there is another way of securing what was originally crimped. I don't know but I would be interested in seeing exactly what is breaking.

There is a place in PA which I bought a restored mirror from. That was an inside rear view; not a side view. I don't know the extent of things they can do but it might be worth asking a place which specializes in them. As I know the type of mirror shown is a very expensive mirror. I also wonder if any of the professional chrome resorting places has experience with them. There's a place in Erie PA called Advanced Custom Chrome which does an amazing job of restoring parts where sections are completely missing. I've had them do bumpers:
https://advancedcustomchrome.com/

Even if they cannot do mirrors it's worth taking a look at their site. Some of the things they've done are incredible. Based on bumpers they are not the low cost solution but they are very good.

Scott

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on April 13, 2020, 01:58:25 AM
Yes, unfortunately. I had a '68 mirror in great condition except that part of the casting in the base had broken off, and could not be retained to the car.  I thought I'd take it apart to change the base. The tabs in the retainer broke, rendering the cable assembly useless. That was all water under the bridge, though. Over the years I acquired three '68 LH mirrors, including a very nice early one with the actual brushed chrome finish, rather than the "deckled" finish. Got a few spare ones for '69k and '70 as well.

Charles Fares

So there are two types, the earlier being the brushed chrome. Thanks.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike