News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Key buzzer/ Location????

Started by 6caddy2, April 10, 2020, 10:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6caddy2

Caddy in question, one 1981 CDV, doing the final little sorting out of this car, it dawn on me, "NO BUZZER" sound for when key is left in ignition and drivers door is open, did it make the sound when I brought the car home?, did it work at the time of purchase and inspection of car, at 55 I've hit the turn around place in life for the "CRS" syndrome, therefore I hit the books hard and I studied the wiring schematic, hoping that "CRS" wouldn't set in by the time I hit the garage to sort this out, upon researching this, I have come to learn that this "buzzer" was notorious for being very annoying to some owners and therefore was removed and or the wires where cut??? :o >:(.

So after reading in the SM for trouble shooting it states where the buzzer "switch" is, up inside the steering wheel, ummm, not wanting to tear into that just yet if it can be helped,(all original 44,000 miles car)so I thought look for the dang buzzer itself and work back from there, well with the time that I (we) have on hand I went completely through every dang thing related to that buzzer, "SM" and schematic's and NO where does it state and or shows where that dang buzzer is actually located at!! :o >:(, if I can lay eyes on it, test it, if its bad hopefully I can find a replacement, if its good then I'll have to start with the hard part of wire tracing, pulling harness's apart, testing leads etc... and then finally up to the steering wheel for its removal and checking of said "buzzer" switch as instructed in the service manual, it also has occurred to me while typing this out, what if it has been removed, then all the taking apart of parts would really be in vain as there is NO buzzer "box" thing to make the noise in the first place, maybe I'm up in the middle of the night and lost it, everything in the car works as it did when it left the factory except for this, I would really like to have it work, its been my luck that I take everything apart to just find out it was something as simple as a fuse, and yes I did check every fuse and there all good, it also mentioned and shows it is wired through the horn relay as well and it works as intended, I do own an "OHM's meter and love it almost as much as my caddy's, almost, so one thing I have learned here is, ask the dumb question, so as not to dive deep into this problem, that might be solved by simply asking" where is it, which I might be able to avoid taking things apart, and as we all know taking things apart sometimes is well... "the can of worms" problems that we all hate to run across from time to time with our cars and the up keep of them!
Maybe this was a gremlin of sorts for this year and or make for Cadillac and so the key buzzer not working as it should was disabled at some point during its 1st ownership as I'm the 2nd caretaker and still learning about this model year, but I gotta say she's a awesome piece of machinery and runs like nobody's business and the ride, well... you all own caddys here, what can I say, it is also an absolutely well engineered machine and yes she  is "digital" in her workings, and I'll bet 1/3 of her curb weight is in cooper wiring  ??? ::) :D!

Any advice and or info I would greatly appreciate on this!! Thanks, Joe
1962 convertible
1979 Fleetwood brougham d'Elegance
1981 Coupe deVille 368 FI 864
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
SOLD- 1978 sedan deVille

TJ Hopland

I have not been able to lay my hands on my 80 or 81 manuals for some reason but for that era I believe the buzzer is in the relay block which is above the fuse box which would be above your left foot if you were seated in the driver seat.   I would say it looks like a relay which doesn't help much since at that time it seemed like GM had at least 20 completely different looking relays.

I have not studied the circuits for an 81 but in the earlier to mid 70's the same buzzer was doing at least 3 different functions which required some creative solutions since it wasn't as simple as a line of programming in the body control module.   It was tied to the seat belts as well as the key in which was tied to the doors.   For the seat belts it had to run through the park neutral switch as well as a pressure sensor in the seats.  Just for fun the also decided the same buzzer should sound for the 'stop engine temp' light too. 

The main reason people messed with it was related to the seat belts.   I had understood and fixed the system on one car so when someone else asked me to help them I figured it would be easy because GM usually did things the same but found out quick that at least with those systems early on they seemed to be different every year.   Some years you could simply pull the buzzer but other years doing that would kill something you usually wanted.   Same with the seat belts and sensors sometimes you could unplug them but other years you had to jumper them.   The differences and then general quality of modifications and hackery plus age tend to make a big mess out of these systems. 

You could find the same thing on your 8-6-4 system.   Lots of people did lots of things trying to disable the system.   Easiest and best way was since the system was only allowed to operate when the trans was in 3rd gear was to interrupt that signal.  If it didn't think you were in 3rd it would just keep everything set for 8 and be fine.    Problem with other methods is usually the computer didn't know what was going on so it may have been trying to fuel and time for 4 cylinders when it was running on 8.   I have not worked on a ton of those especially real recently but I saw some pretty creative disasters on those.   Be careful around the valve covers,  20 years ago when I was messing with them they were getting brittle and hard to find so I imagine today they could be worse.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

Oh ya and I forgot to say sounds like a cool car and the only way it could be better is if it was a Fleetwood Coupe. 

Where are the photos?

bcroe

My own approach was to unwire the buzzer from 12V and connect
its power to parking light instead.  I also shorted together the wires
coming from the column key switch.  Now opening the driver door
tells me if the lights are left on.  This is controlled by a second wire
to the drivers door switch, other doors only had a single wire, for
interior lights.  This conversion was so popular at my house, I was
instructed to install a driver type switch in the passenger door too. 

Just pulling that switch wire off killed mine, maybe yours too.  There
was some kind of factory lights buzzer in one car, but my sequence
of pulling key/opening door was so fast it did not work.  Bruce Roe

6caddy2

Thanks TJ and Bruce for the info!

I ended up founding out where that dang buzzer is located at, just to the right of the main fuse box!!  I discovered that the slot for it is empty, went to my 79 Fleetwood that I knew  also has the key buzzer and that it works, it's a plastic box with 2 metal flat style pins protruding out from 1 side of it, pushed this into the slot in the 81 and low and behold, annoying key buzzer sound, looked online and found it at Lectric Limited, got one on its way.

Oh yeah TJ, here's the 81 CDV
1962 convertible
1979 Fleetwood brougham d'Elegance
1981 Coupe deVille 368 FI 864
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
SOLD- 1978 sedan deVille

TJ Hopland

Interesting.  Now I want a photo of it out in the sun to get a better idea what that two tone color really looks like.  I don't think I have seen that before.   Anyone know what those colors are called?     Looks like a white interior?  Leather?   And a slick top just to add another twist.   

6caddy2

TJ here you go, outside photo of her. She's covered in a Dark waxberry poly, over a light waxberry, light waxberry  leather seats and seat belts with a dark green dash steering wheel and a medium green carpet.