News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

your opinion, a nicely preserved '58 CDV with a '60 engine/tranny

Started by Doug 22747, November 14, 2012, 09:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug 22747

I am looking at a very nice 58 Coupe deVille, but it has a '60 390 engine and transmission in it.  The guy says there were no modifications made for the swap, and everything works well.  I have not seen it in person yet, but it looks perfect.  I am wondering how this might effect the value of the car moving forward?  thanks Doug
Doug Browne
Atlanta, GA

C.R. Patton II

Hello Doug

Glad to hear you desire to purchase another Cadillac.

Here is some data to assist your decision.

1958 Cadillac Production Total 121,778
Model 58J-62 Body/Style Number 6237DX
Model Total 18414
Body Type 2D Coupe DeVille-6P
Factory Price $5,231
Shipping Weight 4705
Engine 365 cu. in.

If you acquire a vehicle that has different specifications from originally manufactured there will be a price modification.

I recommend you conduct thorough research into
A. Model you desire
B. Buy right without an expected appreciation rate
C. Select a vehicle you can enjoy
D. Invest in a detailed inspection
E. Analyze the character of the seller

All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Chris Conklin

Quote from: Doug 22747 on November 14, 2012, 09:56:50 PM
I am wondering how this might effect the value of the car moving forward?

I don't think you're looking at a car with huge upside potential regardless of the engine and tranny swap. If this particular car just really got your attention and you have to have it - buy it. But I think you already know it is not an "investment grade" vehicle. If you are interested in a nice '58 and you really want to own a nice one that may hold some decent return in a few years... keep looking.
Chris Conklin

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Hello Doug,

It would be most helpful if you could post some pics and roughly what price the car is. Without that info, it's virtually impossible to render any useful advice on the matter.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Chris Conklin

I must add... at least it's a still a Cadillac drivetrain and not a Chevy 350.  ::)
Chris Conklin

cadman49

doug; first, the 60 engine is/was a good choice for a swap if your not into chalk marks and stickers. its got 25 more cubes and its noticeable in power increase,a little. first year for full flow/pressure oil system with spin-on filter.you can get the filters easily at any parts store for about 4.75 here in calif. secondly,most people and maybe you cant tell the difference. basicly all the same and still has the 4sp. hydro.,although i've heard they are a better/upgrade trans. if you can get a 64 adapter ring,you can hook up a turbo 400 trans to it. a major ,major upgrade. 3spd. with a converter. it will put a smile on your face!! i do it to my cars. i bought a wrecked 64 for 200$ just to get the ring and the trans.    r king

Series75

My 2 cents....If the 58 is really a headturner then on impulse, someone will buy it when you are ready to shift ownership.  But in general most diligent buyers will hesitate on a transplanted drivetrain and move on to the next candidate.  Tom CLC#6866

Greg Powers

As has been stated before, the engine and transmission swap will be a deal breaker for any purist. However there are those who find nothing wrong with such swaps and will encourage such a purchase based upon the condition of the Cadillac and the actual success of the swap, proper performance, ect. YOU are the only one who can decide what your intentions for the car might be. Just go in knowing that repairs and parts for engine and transmisission will present some challenges     
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Cadillac Slim

My 60 CDV has a SBC 350.  Yes I got a great deal on it but I bought it as a driver.  But thats what I do with it. Drive the snot out of it & parts are easy to find.

I think it all comes down to your intentions for the car.  I am sure you will always be able to get your money back but I'd be weary as an investment.  The same goes for cars with original paint color changes & original interior changes.  If your looking to buy a car that will continue to gain value, I would find an all stock original or something that has been restored professionally to a tee.

Personally I think there are other investments other than cars to build your portfolio on.  Buy them to enjoy & drive.  Thats what they were built for.  And a 58 sure has nice lines....
1938 Lasalle - Sold
1940 Lasalle Conv. - Sold
1947 Series 61 Sedanette
1953 Coupe De Ville
1957 Coupe De Ville
1959 Series 62 2 Door
1960 Coupe De Ville
1964 Eldorado
1964 Coupe De Ville - Sold
1966 Coupe De Ville
1968 Conv. - Sold
1984 Eldorado Biarritz Conv. - Sold