News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Retouching prints by GM photographic dept.

Started by grandifc, April 29, 2024, 02:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandifc

Does anyone have any knowledge about these items? My father was an avid hoarder of many things Cadillac his entire life. He died a few years back and these were found in his possession. Are these these are common item? When examined closely, they are definitely watercolors. The backing of the frame on the green one was just paper and had a pretty big tear in it so I removed the paper backing from the frame and discovered these clues underneath. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried to research this out online, and I have not had much success, so I thought I would come straight to the experts.

Art Director

I have some of these illustrations (not original) in black and white that the late Roy Schneider was going to include in his still-unpublished book Sixteen Cylinder Motorcars Revisited. They look to have been created using pen and ink by GM artists. Sorry I can't help more.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Tom Hall 7485

Thank you for showing the comments on the reverse. They give us a few clues.

First, no, these color renderings aren't common. They were used to illustrate body styles during a period when a lot of people could live without a new Cadillac.

The mention about availability in cold, hot and rough tells us that the body styles could be rendered on different kinds of paper, and that suggests the possibility of custom-made renderings by an artist at Cadillac, possibly in various colors, to show a serious customer how a body style might look in a particular color.

This is about the different papers: https://gwartzmans.com/blogs/up-on-the-easel/hot-pressed-vs-cold-pressed-watercolour-paper#:~:text=It%20just%20depends%20if%20you,use%20hot%20pressed%20watercolour%20paper.

You might want to take one of the prints to an art conservator if you can't determine for yourself what paper(s) were used for the three prints. You might also want to see whether the mats that were used for framing have caused or will cause the paper to yellow.
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.