News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Carburater Vacuum lines

Started by rkieckhefer, March 01, 2013, 03:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkieckhefer

I had the carburater rebuilt on my 76 Cadillac Eldorado.  Front wheel drive, Rochester 4 barrel.  The vehicle still runs a little rough.  I'm wondering if anybody can provide a vacuum line schematic.  I've tried GM and their publishing company, Helm Publications to no avail. 
Please provide a link or feel free to email me a copy.
Thanks, Rick

Caddyjack

I'm not sure this will be easy to read, but it's worth a shot. Vacuum schematic from my 1976 shop manual...
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

Jeff Maltby 4194

This Help ?
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Scot Minesinger

The shop manuals on e-bay are inexpensive and worth the weight in gold, highly suggest buying one for the vacuum diagram and many other items.  Those carb re-builds are never that good that they smooth out a rough idle.  Best of luck.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillacmike68

There was an older self starter article on these blocks (472 and 500) which detailed why these cars need a Lot of fuel to idle smoothly. the phenomena was called "Nozzle Drip" and the basic solution was to open up the mixture screws, which may or may not exist on a 1971 or later car. They were supposedly capped, but that was an emissions BS move and should be able to be undone.

Of course this won't help much if there is a vacuum leak somewhere.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Aaron Hudacky

The idle mixture screws were capped starting in 1979; but they can be drilled and adjusted.  Mine needed this to pass CA emissions in 2005, and once it was "clean", it idled noticeable smoother. 
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

Scot Minesinger

Plus those carb re-builds are often frought with work that results in not smooth idle.  I would say that for me one in three re-builds idle nice.  My car is good otherwise and I'm planning to get the carb-rebuilt by a better company re-bushing shafts and all.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillacmike68

Agreed, Scott. the first rebuild on my 1968's QuadraJet suffered from lean stumble. After someone who was better at it got done, that's gone, but I think it's running a bit lean, so we'll get to it with the tach / dwell and timer when i get back home.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike