News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Hose identification

Started by Nomcalister, January 15, 2024, 01:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomcalister

I have a 65 deville and am new to the car world. I'm trying to find out what these four hoses do that are attached to my radiator
Nathan McAlister

The Tassie Devil(le)

The top hose is going into the Transmission cooler. The next down is the Heater Return hoses.   The next lower is the other Transmission cooler hose, and the bottom one is the Bottom Radiator hose from the bottom of the Water Pump.

Not sure how the top hose has been connected to the Transmission Cooler, but it should be a flare nut with a tubing flare to attach to the transmission hose, similar to the bottom Trans hose.

Both those two hoses should be pointing back to the Transmission.   Someone previously has probably had a problem with the Transmission lines requiring repairs, or they have fitted an aftermarket additional cooler in front of the radiator.

Bruce. >:D   
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Nomcalister

Awesome thanks. So my heater should work then correct? I haven't tried it out yet
Nathan McAlister

TJ Hopland

I don't know the 65 specifically but the 'feed' heater hose probably comes of the water pump assembly which on these sort of has arms that connect the 2 sides of the engine. 

If the heater core had been leaking what usually gets done is they disconnect the hoses from the heater core and loop them on the engine side so one end would be on the water pump and the other end to the radiator.  If you have a hose from the water pump to the firewall then another from the firewall to the radiator its still hooked up. 

Like I said I don't know the 65 specifically so its possible that the hose doesn't come off the water pump, someone else will have to verify that.  Its possible that there is a vacuum operated valve somewhere in that hose route.  Again someone that knows a 65 will have to answer but if its got one typically their normal state is open and that tends to be the mode they fail in too so they usually don't prevent the heat from working. 

Also keep an eye on those transmission hoses.  If someone used fuel line for that repair the transmission fluid will turn them into goo at some point.  There is specific hose sold for transmission coolers that holds up to that fluid so it can be a reasonable repair if they used the right stuff.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason