News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rush of air noise when applying brakes

Started by dn010, April 05, 2024, 10:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dn010

Can anyone tell me if I should be hearing a very loud momentary rush of air from my booster every time I hit the brakes in my 57? Per the manual, I know a momentary "hiss" is supposed to be audible only with the hood open but this rush of air is loud enough to be heard with hood closed, windows up, fan on high and probably even with the radio going too. It almost sounds the same as when one opens the valve on an air compressor to allow the air to fill the empty compressor hose. I'm also periodically getting a loud vibrating noise from the booster when it's in the "holding position" so I'm guessing the dam thing is failing again. I tried to search for videos of the noise it is supposed to make and am surprised there are none.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

TJ Hopland

What you are describing does not sound Cadillac like so something has to be wrong.  57 is the hydra vac system?  I don't think I ever worked on any of those, treadle vac I think is what I dealt with.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dn010

1957 is the hydrovac system. It was never this loud before so I wanted to verify prior to ripping it out of the car for what will seem like the millionth time. It could just be me but I also feel as if I'm putting more effort into braking which would mean less power assist. I suppose I know what I'm doing this weekend.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

TJ Hopland

I'm curious how these worked so of you do post some pics and details at least one person will be looking at them.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason