News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1951 Differential rebuild: Draft video guide for your comments please, thanks.

Started by Caddy Chris UK, April 06, 2024, 01:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Chris UK

Hi all,
I've got a 1951 Cadillac Coupe de Ville and I am replacing the bearings in the differential. 

Before starting the job I struggled to find info about the diff and so I decided to make a comprehensive video guide on replacing the bearings in a 1951 (or similar). I'm half way through now... but rather than post the 'how to video guide' at the end when the diff is already back on the car and it's too late to check/measure/film anything I might have missed... I thought I'd post the 'draft' videos now... and ask for feedback please. 

Please could I ask you to take a look at the videos (links below) and offer any comments via this forum thread, e.g. areas that I might need to explain better, film again or improve...(please provide the video number and time stamp with each comment - thanks).  Hopefully, this way I can make the videos as useful as possible for folk in the future.

Many thanks...
...and I'll offer an updated post with the updated video guides when the rebuild is completed. 

Chris Todd

DRAFT VIDEOS - a contents list for each video is available in the video description box below video.

Video 01 – Introduction, removing diff from car, backlash check, diff general info
Video 02 – Removing Yoke and Pinon Seal
Video 03 – Pinion shaft front bearing and removing carrier first pinch bolt
Video 04 – Removal of first carrier bearing support
Video 05 – Removal of second carrier bearing support and carrier assembly
Video 06 – Inspection of carrier, removal of the pinion shaft, inspection of pinion bearing
Video 07 – Pinon bearing puller, removal of races from diff casing. Bearing shopping
Video 08 – Removal of bearing outer races from the carrier

CLC Membership # 35217
1951 Cadillac Coupe De Ville