News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Vinyl Top As An Option

Started by Charles D. Barnette #1465, June 19, 2005, 04:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles D. Barnette #1465

When did Cadillac first offer a vinyl top as an option on production cars? What Year? Charles

Doug Houston

I understand that it was 1963. (on other than formal cars)

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Charles,

I believe it was a standard feature on the Eldorado Seville from 56 through 60. However it could be deleted by the customer if desired. Doug is correct that vinyl tops became an across the option on all models in 63.

HTH,
Ralph

Doug B

My 60 Fleetwood had one; doubt it was a special order on that car.  It was of remarkable quality, on an otherwise weathered car.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Doug,

Youre correct. The 60 Fleetwoods had a standard vinyl top (in 11 colors) that was also  a delete option. I was just addressing the question of the first year.

Ralph

Dave S

How about the last year offered?    I believe a vinyl top was last offered on the 96 rear drive Fleetwood Broughams.   93 was the last year on the DeVilles.   Oddly 74 was the first year a vinyl top was offered on the Calais Sedans.  

Alot of Dealers were having aftermarket vinyl tops put on plain cars to dress them up in the 60s 70s and 80s.

A 1980s Cadillac to me now looks very clean and slick without a vinyl top.  

David

Bob Dziewit

As a teenager in the 1970s I used to visit the dealers storage lots in the fall to see the new models and daydream.  More and more new Cadillacs were showing up without vinyl tops and they looked weird.  Sure enough, they later showed up with aftermarket vinyl tops.  When I ordered a new Monte Carlo in 1976, the salesman said to order it without a top (a $100+ option) and he would get a duplicate aftermarket top installed for $25.  Im not sure about the last year for Cadillac vinyl tops but the mid 90s sounds right.