News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Ride Control Compressor Rebuild Kit, Can you buy them?

Started by Ted in Olympia WA, August 14, 2008, 09:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Shawgo

and a couple more:

Mike Shawgo

And by the way, this is the car it's going into, my 71 Eldo.

--Mike

Ted in Olympia WA

Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

Greg McDonnell

I recently (July, 2008) had the alc pump from my '77 Seville (vacuum) rebuilt and it works like new.  It has the car sitting as level as it must have from the factory.  A fellow in Pennsylvania did the work for me.  His name is Frank Smith.  He did an excellent job and charged me $250 plus shipping back to me.  It took him a while (about 2.5 months) but the wait was worth it in the end as I really enjoy seeing my car sit level and raise back up to level when weight is added to rear. 

He has the pump from my '68 Eldorado now and when he's finished with it, I'll send him the pump from my '72 Fleetwood.  I think I recall him saying he only rebuilds the vacuum type pumps and not the electronic ones that came later.  I have his contact info if anyone needs it.

Greg McDonnell
CLC#20841
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Guidematic

Mike,

Thanks for posting the pictures! Now I have a good referance for originality when I rebuild mine. I have one for an Eldo (short tank) that I completely rebuilt and it functions very well, but I left the tank natural. Now I can see the tanks were painted black. I also have another that functions (long tank) but needs a cosmetic rebuild. The guts are either refurbished or new. The one on my '70 functions very well, but also needs a cosmetic refurb.

Greg,

What did the fellow in PA do to your compressor? Did he use new parts or parts that were gathered from other compressors? There are no new parts available for them from what I understand. At least I have not been able to obtain any.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Greg McDonnell

Quote from: Mike Jones on August 30, 2008, 08:42:52 AM
Mike,

Thanks for posting the pictures! Now I have a good referance for originality when I rebuild mine. I have one for an Eldo (short tank) that I completely rebuilt and it functions very well, but I left the tank natural. Now I can see the tanks were painted black. I also have another that functions (long tank) but needs a cosmetic rebuild. The guts are either refurbished or new. The one on my '70 functions very well, but also needs a cosmetic refurb.

Greg,

What did the fellow in PA do to your compressor? Did he use new parts or parts that were gathered from other compressors? There are no new parts available for them from what I understand. At least I have not been able to obtain any.

Mike

Mike,

Frank would be the better one to ask regarding the extent of new vs scavenged parts from other compressors.  He did tell me he has some new parts he was able to get prior to them becoming scarce to next to impossible to find.  He has quite a few compressors from various years to rob parts from and did use some on the rebuild of my '77 Seville's pump.  He also provided me with new external parts and connectors in addition to the interior rebuild ('o' rings/washers, long nuts, cone shaped brass fitting and rubber bushings).  He bench tested the pump for several days to a week prior to shipping it back to me so he knew it was working properly.  I don't have an email address for him but do have a couple of phone numbers.  For those of us who aren't saavy in rebuilding these pumps and have no spare parts to do so, persons like Frank Smith are very valuable to have around.  Without him, my '77 Seville would still be sagging in the rear-lol!

Greg   
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

Mike Shawgo

Hi everyone,

Well, after working most of the day, I got the compressor in and connected. but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.  I had to cut the PCV hose and put in a T connection, as that was long gone.  I'm still questioning the correct hose connection a little.  The "air intake" outlet on the top of the compressor has the larger nipple, but the hose goes to the air cleaner which is a rather small tube.   The "vacuum" nipple on the side of the compressor is smaller, but goes to the T in the PCV hose, which due to the size of the PCV hose, is a little larger.   So, it almost seems like they are reversed.  I put about 120 psi of air in the tank, also took the car out on the road for a while, but nothing seems to be happening, and back end is low.

One other thing, I could not get the height control valve off--there is a gas line running right in front of one of the bolts.  It wouldn't budge even just a little, and I didn't want to break a gas line, so I didn't attempt to get it off.  Anyway, at this point I'm not sure where to troubleshoot.  Tomorrow I might pull one of the lines off of one of the shocks to see if they have any air in them, but I don't think they do.  I don't hear any air leaking from anything--just seems like it's not doing anything at all.

Any suggestions are most welcome.  Hope everyone is having a great Labor Day Weekend!

--Mike

TJ Hopland

Here is what mine looked like when I lost pressure in the system.    Without the trailer it only came up about 1/2".  Moral of the story make sure the lines are attached well and out of harms way.

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Guidematic

It's possible that the compressor may need a little help in getting going. It has been in tha package for a very long time and some of the works may just be sticking a bit.

The intake hose should go to the cap in the top, and the vacuum to the fitting on the side.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Mike Shawgo

Hi everyone, and happy Labor Day weekend!

The compressor works!   I just didn't have enough air in it.   My dad's compressor would only pump to about 60 psi.   I disconnected the control valve link in the back, and pushed up on the arm, and the shocks filled right up, but they took all the air out of the tank.  So, I took it to a farmer down the road and he got about 120 psi in it, so hopefully the engine will get more pressure in it as I drive. 

Thank  you all for your suggestions!

--Mike