News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

wiring around 1954-55 autronic eye

Started by kkarrer, October 07, 2013, 12:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkarrer

Hello,
     Having some trouble with my headlights not dimming and I think it's the autronic eye since I've replaced the dimmer switch.  Sometimes the lights dim automatically, but very rarely and the manual dimmer switch doesn't cause them to switch to low beam.  I'd like to wire around the autronic eye, but the wiring diagram in the shop manual is really no help.  I know these things fail and are often just for show, so there must be a practical solution to bypassing them.  My car is a 1955 convertible.
Thanks,
Ken Karrer 1955 convertible (model 62)
kkarrer@austin.rr.com
512-626-7268

RobertM

Here is the Service bulletin that is the manual for the '54 Autronic eye.  22 pages of info and troubleshooting. I literally just got this in the mail this week and scanned it to pdf today to see if I can try to get mine working. I hope this helps you.
Bob
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

kkarrer

Thanks Bob.  I'll take a look.  I got mine working today.  The relay wasn't grounded properly, but I'm pretty sure that sometime in the future I'll have to figure out how to wire around one of these.  I've got two or three more to restore along with my own convertible.
Thanks again,
Ken Karrer 1955 convertible 62