News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1967 Deville Convertible - getting to the pump / type of fluid to use

Started by dmm663, August 04, 2015, 04:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmm663

Is the only access to the convertible top from removing the back seat?

The convertible pump is either shot or needs fluid but I can't get the seat out to figure it out.

Help!!  =)

Thanks,

Dave

cadillactim

You can access the pump by removing the screws that hold the molding on the too of the back seat and pulling the well material back. That's how I access the pump on my 67 to add fluid.

Tim
Tim Groves

dmm663

dmm663

What kind of fluid is best?

I have been told Dexron III transmission fluid is what I should use.....

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

dmm663

Any kind of fluid or the DEXTRON III?  How do you know when it is full?

cadillactim

I would use Dexron, not fluid for Ford. However make sure your pump does not have brake fluid in it instead of transmission fluid. It should be transmission fluid, as brake fluid was not used too much in the 60s.

There is a rubber plug toward the top of the pump (on the end). Just like adding differential grease, fill to bottom of hole. You will need to bleed the system by operating the top after filling, then add more fluid as needed. I use a hand held trigger oil pump to add the fluid. The tip of the oil pump will slide right into the hole and just trigger the fluid in the pump.

Some pumps used a bolt instead of a rubber plug. WARNING - do not remove the triangular shaped bolt as that holds the two halves of the pump together, and you will make a mess! The fill plug or bolt is above the halfway point on the pump end.

Tim
Tim Groves

dmm663

dmm663

Hey Tim,  You mentioned the removal of the screws that hold the molding on the top of the back seat - well I was all ready to take it apart tonight... and there are no screws... they are snaps that hold the cover that goes over the top when down.....  =(

cadillactim

There should be screws in the snaps. If you look at the well liner (top up) you will see how it comes up to the back seat. It is attached by screws under the snap clips. Should be several screws, some in snaps, others not. You remove those screws and the well liner can roll back giving you access to the pump.

Tim
Tim Groves

dmm663

Here are the snaps, I must be missing something.

The black looking screw turn but does not come out and the snap outer ring spins but I can not get it to unscrew.

cadillactim

Someone installed rivets instead of putting back screws. You can either drill out the rivets or try to access the pump from the trunk, having someone push up on the well liner so you can access the pump and fill plug.

Tim
Tim Groves

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

David, I usually go thru the trunk. Remove the trunk lining & lift up the well & there it is. That way you don't have to disturb the strip.  I use a rubber  bulb with a syringe on it. Sold at drug stores for another use. LOL!
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

dmm663

Thanks Bob, seems like the only way in, good thing the trunk is big enough to store a Smart Car inside!

Dave

dmm663

So I climb into the trunk, pick up the skirt and the pump is nowhere in sight...... I thought it was going to be right at the back of the seat.... can anyone tell me where this pump is?

I still can't get the lower back seat out... I'm putting so much force I'm afraid I'm going to break something.

Thanks.

Dave

dmm663

Hi Bob, how much lining are you pulling back? Is it against the back seat or further down towards the trunk?

dmm663

Scratch that Bob I just didn't pull enough carpet back I found it    Seems like I need to remove the rubber bushings that are holding it in place to put in fluid is that what you normally do ?

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Dave,
I knew it was in there. I usually just removed the fill plug & fill it till fluid just starts leaking out. Replace the plug, cycle the top. Check it again. Repeat if necessary. Sure is a lot easier than all the effort to remove the seat, etc. Let us know your results.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

dmm663

What do you use to pull the plug, not much room to get at the side plug

chrisntam

On my '70, I used a small to medium sized flat blade screwdriver to help pry out the plug, taking extreme care not to gouge or put a hole in the plug.  Pry it out far enough to get a hold of it with your fingers and pull it out.  IIRC, it is about 3/4" deep.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas