News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1950 caddy

Started by Davemich, March 25, 2005, 01:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davemich

Dose anyone know if the front window trim on a 51 or 52 caddy will fit on a 1950 also will the door spear on a 51 4 door fit a 50 2 door...thanks guys

Russ Hobden

By my interchange manual, it looks like it depends on the series of cars you are refering to.  Some pieces of the windshield molding interchange with some models thru 1951 and other pieces clear thru 1953.  

As for the door side spear (technically the Front Door Fender Extension Molding) it appears that there where three different styles of these for 1950, depending on the series of car.  But none of them will interchange with anything later than 1953.

Hope this helps.  Russ #1235

davimich

Thanks Russ that dose help. Can you tell me where i can find an interchange manual?...Dave

Russ Hobden

I found mine on Ebay, but I dont recall from whom.  Its called Auto Interchange Systems, 1950 - 65 General Motors Interchange Manual.  The cover also says Compiled and Published by Auto Interchange Systems, 3211 Robinwood Lane, Minnetonka, Minnesota, 55343.  Another address inside the book says Auto Interchange Systems, PO Box 1181, Minnetonka, Minnesota 55345.  They might still be in business if you want to write to them and see.  
I think I entered Interchange Manual on ebay and kept watching for several weeks until this one came up for auction.
Good luck.  Russ Hobden

JIM CLC # 15000

03-29-05
Dave, I think that if you will call the 800 operator they will give you an 800 number for; hollinger interchange Manual.
You can get them just for your car. About $35.00-45.00
Good Luck, Jim

davemich

thanks guys ill give them both a try

John

Dear Dave,

While a Hollanders interchange, and other aftermarket interchange manuals are handy...
they only show interchange of MAJOR parts like fenders, or hoods but not moldings or hardware.

The SAD TRUTH is that almost anything BUT tune-up parts
and a few pieces of glass, seldom interchange with anything
BUT ANOTHER Year or model of a CADILLAC !

(some years, some glass or convertible top parts MIGHT
interchange with the LARGER body only Buicks or Olds)

I think the Best Interchange information is either a reprint ($50-$75)
or if you can find one, an original $150-$300)

Cadillac Master Parts Manual.  

These are large books that were originally used by Cadillac Dealers to look up and order parts when your car was new.

Each fall new master parts manuals were issued by Cadillac,
adding the parts for the current year as well as approximately
10-15 years of body parts listings , and 15-30 years of
mechanical parts listings FOR PREVIOUS YEARS.

The illustrations showed ALL the exteriors and trims
of THAT years models, often with seperate pictures for each different model.
As well as exploded diagrams of many of the various mechanical assemblies.

In Addition they would show Exterior Illustrations for
the years immediately previous years, and some illustration for previous models,
less and less as they get to older ones.
These pictures include GROUP# identifications with arrows pointing to each item,
which then are used to find the appropriate PART number listings and MOST Importantly...
any OTHER Years & Models Cads that PARTICULAR PART FITS !!

The Front Matter in these books also includes lists
of Bodystyles, Model Numbers, Paint Codes, Trim Codes,
and interior parts painting and color guides.
Also Serial numbers and Part Number Supersessions
That is when more than One part number may fit an application.
Just a wealth of info seldom found else where.

Since each years Master Parts manual, includes Illustrations and parts listings for MANY Years, it is actually most helpful
to buy a manual  just a little NEWER than your car.

For instance Cadillacs shared a similar Body Styles
From 48-49,1950 thru 1953, followed by 54-56, 57-58, 59-60, etc

It is therefore UNLIKELY that trim or body panels from a
1949 or a 1954 Cadillac would interchange with your 50,
but it is possible that some parts from 51 or 52 or 53 might.
But remember that  NOT EVEN ALL 1950 Cadillacs in every series or model always used the SAME parts,body moldings for instance.

Its important that you know your series and Bodystyle numbers from the underhood DATAPLATE on your cowl.

If you could find a 1953 or 1952 Master Parts Manual
this would have all the listings for your car, plus slightly newer models that may use the same parts.  While a 56 or even a 62 master parts manual would still have some parts listed for your 1950 it wont have nearly as many pictures and diagrams of the 1950 models.

For the Dealerships this wasnt a problem as they kept the previous years books for many years and could always refer back to an earlier edition. But  unless you can get a 53 for all the newer interchanges, AND a 1950 for ALL the pictures
just picking up a 53 or 52 will be most usefull
And if you happen upon a 62 remember the Group Locating numbers will be similar enough to the newer pictures that
youll still find the correct listing by reading the Group descriptions.

By the way latch on to any older aftermarket catalogues
for common replacement items like gaskets, brakes, tune up parts, etc.  As you can often still get these parts by special order at the better parts houses like NAPA and CarQuest.

Some times even if the parts are NOT listed in their books
than can interchange the OEM # from your Cadillac
Master Parts Catalogue

Genuine NEW NOS Cadillac parts are mostly dried up, but
some used parts like stainless steel moldings can last for decades in the salvage yards

You can always find reprints of The Cadillac Master Parts Manuals on Ebay Motors under Manuals and Literature
Hint : use search word   master +cad*