News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

wire wheels on 52 rear axle

Started by peter nieuwlandt, April 01, 2005, 11:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter nieuwlandt

Hi

I was lucky enough to acquire a nice set of Cadillac Wire wheels
(Vintique)
The idea is to mount them on my 1952 conv.Front wheels no problem,looks like a million $,however the rear wheels will not fit.The drum on the rear wheels are too wide for the wire wheels to fit.
Has anyone some advice or experience with this problem.Tomorrow I plan to take the rear drums of a 1956 Cad I have wich is in need of restoration and try to fit them to the 52.
I know that 53 upwards the wire wheels fit so maybe if the drums of the 56 fit my 52 I migth be able to install the wire wheels afterall !!!

Any advice is welcome

Thanks

Peter

JIM CLC # 15000

04-05-05
Peter, I had a similar problem
I found a set of 15 wheels that I was going to put on my 38.
They would not fit over the brake drums. So, I returned the 15 wheels and continued to use the 16 wheel that the car had origionaly.

I know that IM late in posting a reply to your inquire, by now you know that the brake drums from your 56 isnt all that you will have to swap over(if they will fit), You will also have to swap the backing plates and shoes.
Before you go to a lot of work, why not remove one of the wheels from the 56 and try to install the wire-wheel. IF it fits, then remove the brake durm and eye-ball the backing-plate. If it looks like it might fit,then measure the space between the connectioning bolts. BUT, be forewarned, if it fits, you will have less braking-power as the 56 has smaller drums.
Good Luck, Jim