News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Speedometer failure

Started by Sandy Partridge #18390, April 06, 2005, 10:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Partridge #18390

I have a 76 Eldo w/cruise control and the speedo just quit.  No speed, no odometer.  I tested the cable from the cruise unit to the dash and it is fine. (I disconnected the cable from the cruise unit and attached my drill to the cable.  When I turned the drill on, the speedometer needle moved.)  I pulled and inspected both the speedo pick-up at the transmission and the govenor unit and both did not show any signs of wear.  When I disconnected the transmission to cruise cable at the cruise unit, there was resistance when I tried to turn the cable myself.  I pulled the cable out and inspected it, but no breaks or burrs.

The cruise does not work accurately, it accelerates from the set speed and continues to accelerate until I shut it off.  It has been like this since I bought the car four years ago.

Any ideas or tips on repairing the speedo?  Is it tied into the cruise issue?  Will fixing the cruise fix the speedo??  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks to all.

Sandy

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Sandy,

Sounds like your problem will be in the cruise control section which is fitted to the cables.

Have a look at the unit and see if the output spins when you turn the input.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV