News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

18.5 volts at the battery terminals?

Started by 67_Eldo, June 05, 2017, 04:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67_Eldo

I was playing with an audio amp in my recently returned 1967 Eldorado. It would play just fine with the car sitting in the driveway with the motor not running. But if I used the amp as I drove down the road, the amp's protection circuitry would kick in frequently. Odd.

So I connected a voltmeter across the battery (directly off of the terminals), and drove down the street. Sure enough, the voltage rose as the RPMs increased. The voltage finally leveled off between 18 and 18.5 volts. Yipes!

The previous owners pulled some shenanigans with the alternator wiring that I haven't yet fully diagrammed. But it seems to me that whatever they did isn't working.

So I've got to rip out what is there and either replace the wiring with a kit that converts the 67 to an internally regulated (preferably higher-amperage) later alternator or else restore the external regulator/alternator combo that the car originally shipped with.

Do any of you have ideas or suggestions on which approach to take?

Thanks!

Seville1957

NOT GOOD, something is wrong with the regulator circuit. Get service manual and check all wiring!

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Yes. If it's a points type regulator clean in between them and be sure they are free to move.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

bcroe

It sounds like the battery has been seriously damaged.  My opinion, converting to
a heavy internally regulated alternator and eliminating a lot of questionable stuff
is a great idea.  Bruce Roe

Glen

I agree the battery is probably damaged.  If you still have the mechanical regulator it might be just set too high.  Check to see if the points are stuck.  If not then try adjusting the voltage regulator to 14 volts. 
IIRC the instructions for adjusting the regulator are in the shop manual. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TJ Hopland

Yes something wacky is going on there.    Original for that car would have been an alternator with an external regulator so plenty of places and chances for issues there.    I believe the cases were almost the same between the external and first gen internal regulators so maybe someone swapped some things around?    Maybe they bypassed some of the regulator circuit to try and get an internal unit to work then gave up and went back to an external but didn't correct the modifications or damage?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

Quote from: TJ HoplandOriginal for that car would have been an alternator with an external regulator so plenty of places and chances for issues there.    I believe the cases were almost the same between the external and first gen internal regulators so maybe someone swapped some things around?   

That was the case; I bolted a first gen internally regulated alt into a 63 bracket
on my 62.  I was happy to get rid of the failure modes and wiring of a mechanical
regulator, not to mention eliminate another source of radio interference.  Bruce Roe

67_Eldo

I don't have it put back together yet, but it looks like the problem was a broken ground wire from the alternator -- excuse me, "generator" in the shop manual -- to the external regulator.

This wire actually looked OK from a distance because the insulation was holding the wire to the eyelet that connected to the alternator. It wasn't until I started moving stuff around that I saw that it had broken in the not-recent past. That would explain why it destroyed its almost new battery right after I first bought the car.

If I get it all put back together and the voltage is still wacky, I'll report back in.

Thanks for all the advice!

67_Eldo

14.2 volts never looked so good!  :)

I replaced and resoldered all the sketchy splices that had been made in years past. (I used self-fusing silicone tape for the first time. It seems as though it will work really well.)

Put in a new voltage regulator and condenser/capacitor, just to be sure.

Cleaned up all the grounding points to insure solid connections to ground.

The cleaned up system topped out at 14.2 volts, which I can live with!

Thanks!

bcroe