News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1941 Series 63 Headlight Knob Issue

Started by ghjedi, April 30, 2020, 03:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghjedi

Hello,

The knob for the headlight switch for my Series 63 is loose and comes off whenever the headlights are turned on.  The switch itself works fine and the lights turn on/off, so the loose knob is more of an annoyance than anything else.

Any suggestions on how best to re-attach the knob so that it doesn't easily come off each time?  I've not had this happen to any of my other dash switches, so I'd appreciate any guidance on this.
1964 DeVille Convertible
1960 Coupe DeVille
1949 Series 62 Convertible
1941 Series 63

Daryl Chesterman

Are the threads on the light switch stem or knob bad, or does the knob just come loose over time?  If it is just coming loose over time, you could put a drop of blue Loctite (or equivalent) on the threads and assemble it and let it dry.  If the knob needs to come off to be able to remove the switch from the dash, maybe someone else will have a better idea to make it easy to disassemble in the future without having the knob coming loose all of the time.  Blue Loctite would make it more difficult to remove the knob in the future.

Daryl Chesterman

J. Gomez

Should the knob have a small tube extension for the countersink screw to hold it with the shaft?   ???

Just by looking at the pictures it seems the extension has broken off at the end.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
The 41 & I'm sure other years the shaft  does not come out of the knob. I suggest  gluing it on.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

ghjedi

Thanks all for your advice- it's much appreciated.  I'll try gluing it on, as I was worried that there was a more proper way to re-attach the knob.  I'm glad to hear this won't create future problems, if I need to remove/replace it later.
1964 DeVille Convertible
1960 Coupe DeVille
1949 Series 62 Convertible
1941 Series 63