News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

3rd Brake Light Recommendation(s) for 1941 Cadillac 60 Special

Started by Brent Hladky #21519, December 01, 2022, 12:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent Hladky #21519

I finally got my car re-wired.  It was already converted to 12V, but there was still a load of the original cloth 6V wiring in very poor shape, so it had to be done.  Anyway, that old wiring is all gone and, as part of the re-wiring, wire is run for a 3rd brake light, should I find a suitable one.  Does anyone have experience with what would work well with my car?  I was thinking that it could be either inside the rear window or outside above/below the license plate holder (not sure how the latter would look, or the former for that matter)?  If it's in the rear window, I assume that it would need to mounted at the correct angle so that it shines/points out appropriately and fits tightly against the window itself to avoid seeing a glare when looking at the rear-view mirror?  If that isn't available would there be something for the around the license plate that would work?  I see a number of products on line, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience about what would actually work with my car.  Thanks very much.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Brent,

It has to be mounted up high, so that vehicles behind the one behind you can see it through their windows.   This is why their correct name is "High-mount Stop Light".

Not much use when the vehicle directly behind you is a van, or an "up-in-the-air" Monster truck of raised vehicle.

Plus, as you said, it also must not create any possible reflections that can be seen through your interior rear vision mirror.

Fitting one of the accessory aftermarket lights that glue to the inside of the rear window will work, but also is bulky, and will limit your own rearward vision.

I have a couple here that the frame fits tightly to the glass, but the globe holder and reflector lens tilts to the desired angle.

Bruce. >:D 

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

LaSalle5019

Jim Miller

A product similar to brakelighter is on my '41. Sits along inside bottom edge of rear window. Barely noticeable unless lit.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Jim Miller on December 01, 2022, 10:17:01 PMA product similar to brakelighter is on my '41. Sits along inside bottom edge of rear window. Barely noticeable unless lit.
The thing is that it must not be seen from inside the car when it is lit.   That is, none of the red glow.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Brent Hladky #21519

Thanks guys.  I will look into the Brake Lighter.  Totally agree, Bruce, that I need to ensure I don't get any of the red glow.

LaSalle5019

You can't see the brake lighter from inside. The light is split so if just stopping the whole bar lights. With a turn signal on, the signaling side will flash and the other side will stay solid. It is quite bright from behind. I don't feel like I have to watch my rear view mirror as much as I did before installing it.
Scott