News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac Christmas Kindness and a Hagerty towing disaster with The Ark

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, December 26, 2023, 01:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Fair warning, this is long. Get comfortable, get a drink, hit the bathroom first...

ANOTHER failure of the heater control valve (#4), I thought it was just ANOTHER loose tower clamp. Michael came over to tighten it and saw that it had failed. Its Friday, tomorrow is Saturday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Eve is critical to me. The ultimate cruising with "my parents" looking at lights, going to Midnight Mass and a hug from The Ark. Michael left. I was devastated. I posted my heartbreak and issue on my Facebook page, "Christmas is cancelled" etc. The Ark's first crew chief Scott Spencer read it.

Scott texted me later Friday night with a pic "is this what you need?" It was the valve. Yes! He has one at the shop (same town as me), he'll be over Saturday morning with tools and fix it. He was here at 10am and replaced the part,its no longer leaking, I have heat and CHRISTMAS EVE HAS BEEN SAVED! He wouldn't take any money or even money for the part, "if I can help a friend save their Christmas, I do it". Scott, can I at least give you gas money? "Laurie, I own 2 gas stations remember?" I found out later he didn't have the part in stock, he read my post on Facebook when he was in Wareham Christmas shopping. He got on his phone and found it at O'Reilys in Brockton. He drove to Brockton and bought the part. Brockton. Are you familiar with some of the cities around here? Brockton is one of the "3 gun cities. The gun that gets you in, the gun you need while you're there, and the gun that gets you out." Scott is always well prepared as are all of my friends. Epic friend is Scott. He's my mechanic for the daily driver SUV, he just did a big engine job and tranny fix.

The Ark and I leave here around 1030pm Saturday/Christmas Eve to gawk at house lights, it was wonderful, then I noticed I'm running low on fuel, on Christmas Eve, on Cape Cod. I went to the truck stop at Exit 6, they're open! Half a tank of fuel added, yes! The Ark gave me trouble starting, its happened a couple of times before, and its 'hot started' a couple of times. Michael said he'd look at that WHEN the car goes in for the winter work, ie if he's not worried I'm not worried. Ark started up and away we went. More lights, awesome. Then to Midnight Mass in Hyannis, next town over from me. I didn't like how I parked the car in the lot, so I jumped back in to move it.

And its dead. It will not start. Same 'sound' as at the gas station. It's 11:45pm, Jesus you'll have to wait until next year, I need to get us home.

First SOS went to Hagerty roadside assistance. 30 minutes later some guy from up Cape called me, what's wrong, all he does is jump, it could be my starter or alt, of course it could. THAT'S WHY I CALLED FOR A TOW. Its a half hour to get a person back on the phone with Hagerty, its 12:45am. And now its getting cold. Now I'm hedging my bets and calling AAA too. NEITHER can get a tow truck now, but "they're working on it". I'm screaming at these people CALL BUCKLERS FOR GOD'S SAKE, TELL THEM ITS LAURIE KRAYNICK! Nothing. Now its 1:15am, I called Bucklers myself, the owner answered, I know him. "Laurie, they called, I blew them off. I blow them and AAA off anyway. Besides I don't have a driver now." (They have the contract for Barnstable PD, I know he has his 'in case of emergency break glass' drivers, they took trucks home with them, I'm not the Barnstable PD, I get that.) Laurie, leave the car there, get home, call someone, call the PD, they'll drive you home.

Its 1:30 am, and hour and 45 minutes from my first call, its really getting cold, I'm in a bad section of town and now they're turning off the lights in the church, they're leaving. Decision time, time to pull the EJECT handle and abandon The Ark.

I got out and ran to where I saw people locking up the back doors... "Hey folks, sorry to bother you, I tried to go to midnight Mass, my car died in the lot, there are no tow trucks coming tonight, I can't get anyone I know on the phone for a ride home, I'll give any of you the $20 I was going to donate tonight for a ride home, I just live in West Yarmouth. And I really have to pee."  A guy opened the back door, "bathrooms are straight ahead, I'll drive you home, your car will be fine here." Sweet. Nice kid, young, 21, one of the singers. He said he asked the Holy Ghost if he should offer me a ride, HG said 'yes'. We had a nice chat on the way, he was glad I wasn't a 'nut case' like the last guy he gave a ride home to.... As I'm sitting on my Sig P938. The Ark is locked, I took the registration and insurance papers. I'll deal with Hagerty again when I wake up and feel like it. I hope The Ark will be OK, otherwise its insured and there's a paper trail proving Hagerty couldn't get a tow truck there.

Woke up this morning (Christmas Day) and after enough coffee to be able to talk I'm like screw Hagerty, I've got to get this car out of there. Michael already texted and said when I get a truck take it to shop, OK. I called Bucklers again, again the owner answered, "honey please get my car, please, I'll pay you". I'll call you back in 5 Laurie, and he did, truck will be there in 30, meet him there, where's it going? To Michael, no problem. Laurie this is the story, I didn't have a driver last night, I didn't. We don't do AAA or Hagerty (and he named a couple of other roadside assistance companies) any more, no one does, they don't pay us enough, we lose money. Its cheaper to keep the trucks home and the drivers in bed. That's why no one called you back last night, its why I said to leave the car and get yourself home."

The Ark was fine when I got back to the church thank God. Got him on the truck and delivered to Hyannis Vintage Auto, and the driver said the owner gave me a special rate for what happened, and he sure did. Grateful.

If I told you Hagerty called me at 10pm tonight, 22 hours after I called them first, to "see if I still needed a tow", would you believe me?

I. Simply. Lost. It.

"Sweetheart, I'm 63, ex-cop, ex-military with war time experience, I'm in good health, my mind is running on all cylinders, and I'm armed and its purported I'm hell in a gunfight. I could ride that situation last night to the very end because I could, I abandoned the car when it came right down to it or me. A huge percentage of your Hagerty clients are elderly, with significant health and cognitive issues. That cold will be dangerous to them, they won't leave their car because it means too much to them, and they're in physical danger on that side of town. A situation like that could have ended as a disaster for them AND ALL BECAUSE YOU AND AAA DON'T PAY THE TOWING COMPANIES ENOUGH. THEY BLOW OFF YOUR CALLS, AAA'S CALLS, BECAUSE ITS CHEAPER FOR THEM TO STAY HOME THAN TO LOSE MONEY ON A TOW. ITS WHY 'IF' YOU FIND A TOW COMPANY THEY'RE 3-6 HOURS AWAY IN ANOTHER STATE AND THEY'RE SO BAD AT WHAT THEY DO WHAT LITTLE YOU PAY THEM THEY'RE GRATEFUL FOR. YOU HAVE *GOT* TO PAY THE COMPANIES MORE. RAISE MY RATES TO COVER IT, I DON'T CARE. YOU'RE GOING TO GET SOMEONE DEAD. THEY TRUST YOU, THEY'RE DEPENDING ON YOU. YOU HAVE GOT TO CHANGE YOUR BUSINESS MODEL, YOU'RE GOING TO GET A CLIENT KILLED."

"Ms Kraynick I've made thorough notes and will pass this on to my superiors. Can I do anything else for you?"
Reimburse me for the tow. "No problem Ms Kraynick"...

nitey nite
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Lexi

That sucks. Good point on a client someday getting killed. Clay/Lexi

J. Skelly

I still remember the day I had to unload a semi-trailer full of defective steel-belted radial tires that then had to be palletized to go back to the factory about 20 miles away in Detroit.  It was one of the rare 100-degree days we had in Detroit in 1977.  No gloves were provided, and I had steel strand scratches all over my arms.  I was sure glad it was just a summer job.  I also had trouble controlling my brother's '76 Regal on a Houston freeway as the steel belts were apparently shifting.  I pulled onto the shoulder for a second time and was staring at the passenger front tire from several feet away when it blew up!  I've always been wary of steel-belted radials, but they figured out the issues within a few years and that was the end of the fiberglass-belted radials.     
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: J. Skelly on December 26, 2023, 11:31:24 AMI still remember the day I had to unload a semi-trailer full of defective steel-belted radial tires that then had to be palletized to go back to the factory about 20 miles away in Detroit.  It was one of the rare 100-degree days we had in Detroit in 1977.  No gloves were provided, and I had steel strand scratches all over my arms.  I was sure glad it was just a summer job.  I also had trouble controlling my brother's '76 Regal on a Houston freeway as the steel belts were apparently shifting.  I pulled onto the shoulder for a second time and was staring at the passenger front tire from several feet away when it blew up!  I've always been wary of steel-belted radials, but they figured out the issues within a few years and that was the end of the fiberglass-belted radials.     

Great story. How is it related to the original post?

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

gkhashem

Laurie

I am beginning to think you have a curse!  I have never seen someone with so much bad luck.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

J. Skelly

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on December 26, 2023, 11:59:35 AMGreat story. How is it related to the original post?
I meant to post it under the bias vs. radial tire post that you commented on.  You sure have cursed 'luck' with  the heater control valve!
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

James Landi

Laurie,

Sure glad to know you're well, and you were able to find someone to take you home.  We're surrounded by regional and transnational corporations that write off complaints and care very little save for the bottom line.  I think most of us are in full agreement that supporting local businesses that truly care about the well being of the few local customers they service is a good and decent way to make a living. Regarding the Ark, those heater valves are under pressure and swings in temperature.  I also suspect that the original ones from 53 years ago were far more substantial, as I owned high mileage cars of that period, and never had one fail...if there's any good news in your case, it's that the failure did not create a situation where the vacuum controls on your dash drink in hot coolant... regarding the electrical/starter issue, it might be any damn electrical breakdown that occurs on occasion, thus hard to diagnose. Again, based on my experience with high mileage Cadillacs of that period, it could be that the wire under the cable insulation from the battery is oxidized and turning to white powder, it could be a bad ignition switch, that after all these years of service is breaking down, it could be an oxidized B+ lug on the alternator... it could be a weak remanufactured starter.  I've encountered all of these challenges... and they often occur only during times of ''stress'' i.e. moving the car when it's hot and the starter and ignition need every damn volt they can get from the battery.   Hope this helps,  James

2011DTS

Laurie, so glad you are safe and got The Ark back to her pit crew. IMHO it is time to put The Ark into winter storage at Area 51 and leave her there until May at which point you get her ready to drive to Gettysburg. June will be here before you know it. Again glad some one at the Parrish helped you out. Best and Happy New Year, well almost.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: gkhashem on December 26, 2023, 12:02:35 PMLaurie

I am beginning to think you have a curse!  I have never seen someone with so much bad luck.

Important to remember I beat on this car like a rented mule, if there's a weakness, we'll find it.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: J. Skelly on December 26, 2023, 01:11:44 PMI meant to post it under the bias vs. radial tire post that you commented on.  You sure have cursed 'luck' with  the heater control valve!

EVERYONE around me on the technical side says the same thing, only 1 company is making replacements and they're all junk China manufacture. NOS you're dealing with 53 year old rubber internally. Scott said to put an extra (I ordered 3) in the trunk with clamps and the correct size socket. It will happen again.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 2011DTS on December 26, 2023, 04:44:27 PMLaurie, so glad you are safe and got The Ark back to her pit crew. IMHO it is time to put The Ark into winter storage at Area 51 and leave her there until May at which point you get her ready to drive to Gettysburg. June will be here before you know it. Again glad some one at the Parrish helped you out. Best and Happy New Year, well almost.

Lynn The Ark rolls until it snows, it will go out in the first snow before they salt or plow, then into storage at Area 51. *HE* is a driver, and if I can't trust it now, I can't trust it to Gettysburg. Very happy for the help from all around, Michael just texted and said the car was fixed, one day, YES! I'll get it at back at some point. Best to you my friend as well.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: James Landi on December 26, 2023, 01:55:08 PMLaurie,

Sure glad to know you're well, and you were able to find someone to take you home.  We're surrounded by regional and transnational corporations that write off complaints and care very little save for the bottom line.  I think most of us are in full agreement that supporting local businesses that truly care about the well being of the few local customers they service is a good and decent way to make a living. Regarding the Ark, those heater valves are under pressure and swings in temperature.  I also suspect that the original ones from 53 years ago were far more substantial, as I owned high mileage cars of that period, and never had one fail...if there's any good news in your case, it's that the failure did not create a situation where the vacuum controls on your dash drink in hot coolant... regarding the electrical/starter issue, it might be any damn electrical breakdown that occurs on occasion, thus hard to diagnose. Again, based on my experience with high mileage Cadillacs of that period, it could be that the wire under the cable insulation from the battery is oxidized and turning to white powder, it could be a bad ignition switch, that after all these years of service is breaking down, it could be an oxidized B+ lug on the alternator... it could be a weak remanufactured starter.  I've encountered all of these challenges... and they often occur only during times of ''stress'' i.e. moving the car when it's hot and the starter and ignition need every damn volt they can get from the battery.   Hope this helps,  James

James I pay people, a lot of money, to figure this $hit out. Let them fix it and tell me later.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

J. Skelly

Quote from: James Landi on December 26, 2023, 01:55:08 PMLaurie,

My '71 Eldorado went through 5-6 starters in its lifetime.  On one occasion after intermittent starting issues, I pulled off all of the wires from the starter, inspected each one individually and found oxidation on one side of the ring terminal, cleaned it up and was good to go for a while. 
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Carfreak

Quote from: J. Skelly on December 26, 2023, 11:31:24 AMI still remember the day I had to unload a semi-trailer full of defective steel-belted radial tires that then had to be palletized to go back to the factory about 20 miles away in Detroit.  It was one of the rare 100-degree days we had in Detroit in 1977.  No gloves were provided, and I had steel strand scratches all over my arms.  I was sure glad it was just a summer job.  I also had trouble controlling my brother's '76 Regal on a Houston freeway as the steel belts were apparently shifting.  I pulled onto the shoulder for a second time and was staring at the passenger front tire from several feet away when it blew up!  I've always been wary of steel-belted radials, but they figured out the issues within a few years and that was the end of the fiberglass-belted radials.     

Firestone 500s? 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Michael texted me today, The Ark is fixed and ready to come home. Yes, in one day.
He said it was a 'charging issue', I'll learn more when I go get him. I'm guessing alternator.
The one that was in there was a 4.5 year old NAPA 55a, I think the car wants a 68a if my specs
are correct.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

J. Skelly

Quote from: Carfreak on December 26, 2023, 08:15:09 PMFirestone 500s? 
Hi Sue,

The semi-trailer load was Uniroyal and their plant at the foot of the Belle Isle bridge closed in 1981.

My brother's car had Firestone 500s and one blew up on him earlier in the week.  I was taking his car to body shops for estimates since I was there on vacation and he was working during the day.  The one that blew up on him dented the driver's side front fender and the steel strands beat paint off of the fender and hood.   
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Dave Shepherd

Same"no one " wants to respond to a contract tow because of the low fees.I just pay out of my pocket what the difference is. Locally I know 2 tow companies, not an issue, getting a good response time. But, away from home base, trouble. Here in upstate N.Y., same crap.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I might have a lot of issues with the car, remember this was not a frame off restoration. "DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT" is to keep shaking it up, make parts fail if they want to. The good news is I have a pro shop the next town over who treats me like I'm worth something. Now look who's home, it was the alternator. Christmas is now officially *OVER*. After breaking down Christmas Eve at midnight Mass, the car was hauled in Monday (Christmas Day) to the WORLD FAMOUS Hyannis Vintage Auto and ready to go home on Tuesday, the usual 10-Star Service. Thank you so much Gary, Happy New Year.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

James Landi

Laurie,

The fact is that the most expensive ''frame off'' would not guarantee any of the ''re-man'' components we must tolerate for want of  fully reliable originals.  I ran my '83 Eldorado 315k miles, and I lost count on the number of alternators I replaced in that car.  A couple of times, I was stuck installing them ''roadside.''  You might consider slipping an inexpensive alternator monitor into your cigarette lighter... most have three lights-- red, no charge, yellow (careful: you  have a  deteriorating situation and a limited number of starts before the battery is too weak to start the car), and green-- just fine.  In the meantime, perhaps we'll miss winter in the not yet frozen north... Happy day, James

Lexi

Yes, good advice from James. It is always nice to see what key components are actually doing under your hood, ("idiot" lights do not count). I have posted this before, but perhaps is timely again. You could buy an onboard volt meter that just plugs into your cigarette lighter. An LED display lets you know what your voltage is. When you park at a car show, just unplug it and tuck it away in your glove box. Attached is a picture of the one I use and it works great. When I tested it against my $400 dollar Fluke brand, a top of the line unit used by mechanics, the cheap $20 dollar plug was dead on. Gives one some peace of mind and you can see how well your charging system works at all driving conditions. My only complaint is that most if not all of these insist on cluttering their display screen with an ambient temperature reading for the cabin. Like, who needs that? Pictured below is a VST 3 in 1 Plug in Volt meter, round dial style, (they also come with a squarish or rectangular dial). I thought the round ones looked better in old cars. As they light up you can easily read them day or night. You can find them on Amazon. Clay/Lexi