News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

78 Eldorado Window Trim

Started by waterzap, April 25, 2013, 08:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

Having the roof of my 78 Eldorado repaired. Took the vinyl off, and the guy suggested not putting vinyl back on. Painting the whole car, matching the roof (like in smaller pic). I know that these cars came out without vinyl, but then the windows had silver trim. Anyone have those? Side and back windows.
Leesburg, AL

waterzap

Still looking. All the holes have been patched in the roof, so car is ready for paint soon.
Leesburg, AL

Barry

Not sure--I just found the replacement seal to go around the astro-roof of my 76 Talisman. Now I can repair the rust and repair the faded vinyl top-same color as your Eldorado. Anyone have thoughts on top replacement ? B.Norman-Durham, NC
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

waterzap

The guy who is doing mine is doing a good job, but taking a LONG time. He said two weeks, its been four months. I am there every weekend or so, and he is making progress. He doesnt do vinyl though. I have a 67 Toronado where I want to rip the vinyl off too. Just a rust trap
Leesburg, AL

Barry

Well, my upholsterer has no problem getting the correct Blue top and correct Elk grain.Quoted me $1200 for the top which includes removal of the sunroof panel.I don't think that's unreasonable. Just worried about what I will find under the vinyl !
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman

waterzap

I had a lot of holes. Much more than expected. All fixed now. Guy did a good job cutting out the rust and putting in new metal. He had to smooth out the roof too. Will look good when done
Leesburg, AL

Barry

Wonder if the plastic chrome strip they sell for the rear fender extensions could be tweaked and made to work ? It was mainly plastic door edge material.
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman

waterzap

Maybe. Just told the guy to put black rubber trim around the window. I just want the car done. Can always change it at a later time. Would really love the original trim though.
Leesburg, AL