News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis

Started by Clewisiii, January 20, 2020, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddyholic

axels are not painted from the factory.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Clewisiii

I picked up a set of these fender protectors today. They are old and brittle. I may just use the. As templates to make new ones. IMG_20230926_190135113.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

I finally got my front bumper all the way apart. I need to take all the brackets and have them powder coated.
IMG_20230929_163941567.jpg
Even though I have new chrome bumpers I am not throwing away this set.
I may refinish them to have a spare. IMG_20230929_164947389.jpgIMG_20230929_203220780.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

I was debating what to do this weekend. And decided it is finally time to install the pipes to the manifolds.

IMG_20230930_100354432.jpg

Clewisiii

I need to loose weight. Out of shape I was getting dizzy laying on my back going side to side to install and torque down those pipes.

But I am amazed how well they lined up. Bent by hand, welded, off of a 60 year old pattern. It is amazing to me that the bends and angles could be that accurate.  Waldrons is awesome. The torque spec is different from rh to lh. But I did them both at the upper spec.

IMG_20230930_152959007.jpg

Next I can make the connections from my trans coolant lines to the radiator. But that is another round of on my back under the engine so I will give it a couple of hours.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Do I detect a massive paint run on the Transmission Bellhousing?

Looking at the powder-coated frame, make sure that everywhere that a grounding strap attachment, that you completely get rid of the coating so that the grounding will actually ground.   Remember that grounds are everywhere, from the Battery Negative terminal, all the way back to the number plate lights.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Clewisiii

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on September 30, 2023, 07:33:05 PMDo I detect a massive paint run on the Transmission Bellhousing?

Looking at the powder-coated frame, make sure that everywhere that a grounding strap attachment, that you completely get rid of the coating so that the grounding will actually ground.   Remember that grounds are everywhere, from the Battery Negative terminal, all the way back to the number plate lights.

yes that was from the Eastwood paint coat years ago. The stuff dried real slow and on the clean aluminum it just slid.

I ran a tap in every ground straps hold and sanded the surface under the strap.

Clewisiii

I cannot believe it. I just realized I installed this top splash shield upsidedown on one side. I will need to take it off and flip it.

IMG_20231004_184405286.jpg

The Tassie Devil(le)

Commiserations on getting it wrong, but congratulations for showing that you are human.

At least the holes should be self-sealing when the staples are removed.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Clewisiii

Well I will be able to work on my car this weekend.

I got a call leaving work yesterday asking how long my Passport was still good for. They wanted me in England to talk with McLaren for some of their interior products manufacturing.

But by 10 this morning it was cancelled.

I am still waiting on my drive shaft. They have had it since September 1st. I call once a week to ask if they have a price estimate. Last Thursday they said they were working on it and would call me at the end of the day. That has not happened yet.

I will call again tomorrow. I cannot pick it up until the 12th at the earliest anyway.

After I pay for the drive shaft I have a big order to Amsoil waiting for me to pay as well.

Clewisiii

The drive shaft shop finally gave me a price. And I should be able to pick it up at the end of next week.

Clewisiii

So a new dash wire harness is $1000 from Lectric Limited. I want to just go with a new one so I can get rid of these crusty terminals. IMG_20231007_102627499.jpgIMG_20231007_102609243.jpgIMG_20231007_102634934.jpg

But they want the original to use the fuse block and bulk head connector. IMG_20231007_102618845.jpg

I called them and asked about the trunk release switch. They said the trunk release is not a part of the IP harness. Well they are right. If you had trunk release a jumper was plugged into the clock power terminal. So I went through and stripped everything that is not actually part of the harness.IMG_20231007_103455942.jpg

Clewisiii

Looking for fuel for the first start. The ethanol free is 91 octane. I would have liked better, but I don't see a need for the racing fuels. 

The price is on the pump with stickers. So I don't think it changes that often.

IMG_20231007_115642335.jpg

Clewisiii

Well 2 to 3 weeks to start my car. Which I will be very happy for.  The drive shaft should be back next week. And I think I will have the rear end gone through in November.

But I cannot put the body on until I paint the firewall. And I cannot do that until more prep and sanding. It soon will be to cold to do that outside and I do not want to sand in my newly renovated ship.

So I cleaned up my basement work area today.
IMG_20231007_215820124.jpg
I am going to start working through more of the dash panel. I will get the new wire harness, repaint the lower Dash. Then slowly send out parts for chrome plating. I should be able to get a fair bit done before next summer.
IMG_20231007_215753222.jpg

I need to get back to the seat frames. I decided I am changing some of the springs I used. The new seat back springs are to stiff. I may even put the original foam back. It was latex foam and is still very plush. I just need to clean it. It has aired out nicely in storage over the last 7 years. IMG_20231007_215855410.jpg

Clewisiii

This radio and speakers are in very rough shape. But they were actually working when I took the car apart. Well the front at least.

These are some other things I would like to get done before summer. IMG_20231008_093032579.jpgIMG_20231008_093039323.jpgIMG_20231008_093042704.jpg

jwwseville60

The Lazy-Boy chair might just fit.
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

Clewisiii

Quote from: jwwseville60 on October 08, 2023, 07:09:19 PMThe Lazy-Boy chair might just fit.

I am a fat man. I have to be comfortable no matter which shop I am in. The shorter one is for my dog. But he always takes mine when I get up. IMG_20231008_192630226.jpg

jwwseville60

Sweet!
I have easy chairs and a couch in my garage.
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

The Tassie Devil(le)

If I had those in my garage, nothing would get done.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Clewisiii

I think I am ready to fill with coolant. But I want a new radiator cap.

I am going to put in a gallon of water just to check for leaks. IMG_20231010_194609019.jpg