News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis

Started by Clewisiii, January 20, 2020, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

I should go out tomorrow and pick up a mechanical oil pressure gauge.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

Well I connected my battery and the generator to voltage regulator wire fried instantly.

I will need to replace that. Not letting me add photos again
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

Should I be able to start the car using the ignition wiring but not hooked up to fuse block. The red battery cable to the ignition looks like it is direct. But the pink wire labeled ignition goes to fuse block along with accessories.

Sorry I cannot upload pictures.

Clewisiii

By the way. The fried wire was generator ground. I had it on the wrong terminal on voltage regulator. So I shorted it between generator and voltage regulator.

Clewisiii

Finally pictures are uploading again.

Fried generator groundIMG_20231021_110626048.jpg

I am trying to determine what other conditions I need for the ignition wiring to work on the engine.

I put on the neutral safety switch. Only ignition side wires. I need to check my wires at the starter.

Cadillac Jack 82

Almost had that happen to me in my 55.  I switched out the voltage regulator and one of the contacts stuck closed.  Caught it just was I noticed a tiny whisp of smoke.  Didn't damage anything but could have been worse.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Clewisiii

I dropped my rear end and axles off at a shop for them to look them over. I had replaced the seals and bearings years ago. But I have been worried that I had the bearings on backwards. The old bearings were only sealed on outside. The new bearings are sealed on both sides, but different seal types from side to side.  It might not matter but I want them to look it over.

The gears all looked good to me at the time. But I don't know what conditions to look for so I wanted to be sure it was in good condition. IMG_20231014_194633373.jpgIMG_20231012_144059970.jpg

The Tassie Devil(le)

Now that is one odd Vernier.   Never seen any measuring in fractions of an inch.

I have a feeling that these bearings cannot be put on backwards.

As it looks like there is no seal around the axle, then so long as the seal around the bearing itself is on the outside, if there is only one, then that would keep the outside crap out, and the lubricating oil in.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Clewisiii

Does metric decimal and fractional.

I was measuring because a friend with a 65 Buick was looking for rear bearings. His bearing diameter was a whole inch narrower then the Cadillac.

Roger Zimmermann

Those new wheel bearings gasve me some trouble. When installed  incorrectly, they will leak in a short time.

Bearing     No spring wheel side.JPGBearing Spring side towards diff.JPG

The side which has no spring is going towards the wheel and the side with visible spring is towards the differential.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Clewisiii

Well I think I need to take in my starter to have it looked over. I rebuilt it about 6 years ago tested it and it has been sitting on a shelf ever since.

I pulled it to test and check all grounds. The bendix kicks forward but it is not rotating currently.

IMG_20231105_100533683.jpg

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like the Bendix is not going far enough for the main contacts in the cap of the Solenoid to come together, creating the power to the actual Starter Motor.

It is easy to check, but if you don't know what you are doing, then best leave it to a professional.

The Shop Manual will guide you through it.   There is one nut that has to be undone to allow the bakelite cap to be removed without breaking a special wire.   If I remember correctly, it is the one marked "R".   This one only supplies 12 Volts to the Ignition Coil to bypass the Resistor.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Clewisiii

Ok can anyone give me more advice on what I can look at.

I removed and tested my starter. It is good.
IMG_20231112_135402029.jpg

I cleaned all my grounds. I even hooked up a direct ground wire from the starter to the battery.  IMG_20231112_162425037.jpgIMG_20231112_162434765.jpg

I took apart and looked at my neutral safety switch. It looks good and ix in the correct position.

IMG_20231112_135441978.jpg

I am trying to use the key and ignition. Nothing is happening. Maybe it is a bad switch. I will need to find a way to test it.
IMG_20231112_162457861.jpg

Clewisiii

I spoke to soon. I made a jumper for the neutral safety switch and it turned over.

IMG_20231112_163650702.jpg

Clewisiii

Well it turned over. And it actually started quickly. Little backfire puff in carb and it died. But the starter had a problem again.

It is stuck on without the bendix kicking out and engaging the flywheel.

Hot electrical smell and I had to remove the negative battery cable to get it to stop. I tapped it with a rubber mallet to see if I could get it to disengage. Tapping the negative cable and it turns back on.

But this is still progress. I am happy.

Clewisiii

James Landi

So THAT's the way it's SUPPOSED to look!  When I owned my 61 convertible back in '65, the business end of the car always looked sad and neglected.  White with a red leather interior, the outside made an extraordinary presentation, but the neglected engine, while running strong for the 8 years of my ownership,never left me on the side of the road. Sounds like you've diagnosed the issue with the starter... might be an alignment issue with the solenoid and the starter casing---   Looking forward to your next steps Carl.  Happy day, James

The Tassie Devil(le)

I know it is an odd question, but did anyone leave the return spring out of the Solenoid when putting it back together?

The Return Spring is all that there is to return the Bendix away from the Ring Gear.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Clewisiii

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on November 13, 2023, 07:00:25 PMI know it is an odd question, but did anyone leave the return spring out of the Solenoid when putting it back together?

The Return Spring is all that there is to return the Bendix away from the Ring Gear.

The spring was there. I am thinking the wire was arcing to this cap bolt and creating the connection some how.

IMG_20231112_180728232.jpgIMG_20231112_180245603.jpg

Clewisiii

You know what bugs me. The mechanical oil pressure gauge I bought. It has like a 6 ft long hose. You would just think filling that long of a rubber hose would affect the reading.

I ordered a new generator wire harness.
I will pick up a starter solenoid tomorrow. I should be able to install it on Friday.

I know the engine will start now. I will just need to verify oil pressure and set timing.