News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

What is this 1956 Caddy worth?

Started by chstitans42, September 22, 2013, 06:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chstitans42

Quote from: ericdev on September 25, 2013, 11:55:36 AM
I also noticed the firewall which appears more red than maroon.

The point is moot however: All will be revealed when you post a photo of the all-important data plate.

By way of interest, OCPG lists a value of $24,500 for a 1956 Sedan deVille in #2 condition; $15,750 for #3. While the car does appear to have healthy bones, I reiterate my previous admonitions concerning sums it will require to bring the car to either level. Restoring a Cadillac is a whole nother ball game from a '64 Mustang. $10,000 will not scratch the surface on this car - and that is with you doing most or all the work yourself. BE CAREFUL!

I am assuming most of the cost is from 1. paint and body prep because the car is so huge, 2. Chrome bills for making your car perfect and 3. drivetrain rebuild costs?

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: chstitans42 on September 25, 2013, 12:29:38 PM
I am assuming most of the cost is from 1. paint and body prep because the car is so huge, 2. Chrome bills for making your car perfect and 3. drivetrain rebuild costs?

Yes, that plus interior restoration, electrical system, brake system, tires, front end, cooling system, suspension, charging system, rear end... etc etc etc etc, + + +...

Don't forget all those nice Cadillac accessories: Power windows (x4), power seat, power antenna, radio. To properly restore the steering wheel alone will cost $500. Engine need a rebuild? There's $5K to $10K alone. Transmission? Another bag of money.

Remember, we're dealing with a car that had been sitting - outdoors - unused and untended for 10-15 years. It is not a car you can even hear running, let alone drive- therefore the car is a completely unknown quantity. 

It costs the same (or more) to restore a sedan as a convertible. The difference is that the convertible is usually worth $50K+, the sedan, maybe $20K on a good day and it had better look really good.

You should also understand that for many of the more widely popular type vintage cars- such as Chevrolets and Mustangs- there exists a huge reproduction parts network of vendors and suppliers. Since these items are often manufactured in great quantities, the cost of many of these parts is very minimal. Very few Cadillac parts are reproduced, and the few that are - are extremely expensive. NOS? Don't ask. Used parts are also very costly if they are in good shape. That means when you want better taillamp lenses for your '56, you're probably looking at hundreds for a decent pair. That's just taillamps. 

I don't presume to know your finances nor your abilities & talents but for whatever it may be worth - over the years, I've advised any number of people not embark on a similar path- (with Cadillacs of moderate to modest final value) and near every one regretted it- dearly.

As you had stated this is your first Cadillac, I thought you should be aware of the level of commitment the project will involve- financial ramifications and otherwise.

Good luck however you proceed.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

chstitans42

Hopefully the engine and trans are in ok shape. I will do a minimal interior resto (seat covers and carpet) and clean up the rest. I don't have any plans on doing paint as of yet, I need to see how the rest of the car turns out. If worse comes to worse I think I can get my money back in parts, but I do NOT want to do that!

The real problem with these old Caddys is that the  bench mark for them are these totally perfect cars. I don't know if I will be the one to bring it to that level, but it sure needs to be rescued!

okccadman

I came really close to buying that car but I never could get away and get down to Dallas to check it out.  I think you did very well on the price.  Let me know if you decide not to get her going.  It would look nice with my Mandan Red 56 Fleetwood.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Makandriaco

I just have three things to say.

1)   Vintage collectables (all kinds) are worth only what the collector is willing to pay.
2)   You may be able to get a similar completly restored car for less money than what you are going to spend at the end, but it will be just a car you purchased. This way, it will be your car… (get what I mean?)
3)   Once you set your mind (and your money) to it, do not look back and enjoy the ride. It will have bumps but it is an exciting and rewarding trip. Oh, and the final price is spectacular.
I LOVE your car, congrats.
1959 Series 62 4 Window Sedan

Always loved Cadillacs.

Quote from: Makandriaco on September 25, 2013, 06:18:24 PM
I just have three things to say.

1)   Vintage collectables (all kinds) are worth only what the collector is willing to pay.
2)   You may be able to get a similar completly restored car for less money than what you are going to spend at the end, but it will be just a car you purchased. This way, it will be your car… (get what I mean?)
3)   Once you set your mind (and your money) to it, do not look back and enjoy the ride. It will have bumps but it is an exciting and rewarding trip. Oh, and the final price is spectacular.
I LOVE your car, congrats.

That's all well & good...in theory.

Reality:

You've racked up $22K total into the car, still far from finished- in a thousand pieces, a thousand man-hours & $20K away from home - occupying valuable garage space. You're watching Barrett Jackson on a cold January evening- when suddenly appears the twin to your car- all done, sorted and detailed to the nines. The hammer comes down @ $19,500 and is declared SOLD. Suddenly you can't eat or hold anything down for 2 weeks.

Catching my drift?

Take it from someone who's been in the car game for a very long time. If anything is sure to make a grown man cry, the above scenario tops the list. And I've seen it - dozens of times.

If the OP's car were a convertible- even at $15K - $20K in its present state- it would be a completely different conversation.

chstitans42

Quote from: ericdev on September 25, 2013, 07:17:44 PM

Reality:

You've racked up $22K total into the car, still far from finished- in a thousand pieces, a thousand man-hours & $20K away from home - occupying valuable garage space. You're watching Barrett Jackson on a cold January evening- when suddenly appears the twin to your car- all done, sorted and detailed to the nines. The hammer comes down @ $19,500 and is declared SOLD. Suddenly you can't eat or hold anything down for 2 weeks.

Catching my drift?

Take it from someone who's been in the car game for a very long time. If anything is sure to make a grown man cry, the above scenario tops the list. And I've seen it - dozens of times.

If the OP's car were a convertible- even at $15K - $20K in its present state- it would be a completely different conversation.

The difference is, I dont plan a nut and bolt frame off kind of resto. Your assuming I want a totally perfect 100 point caddy. im fine with seat covers and old paint really. Ill just do it one thing at a time.

okccadman

Ben,  did you learn any history on the car?  There was at least 1 Mandan red 56 SDV sold here in OKC with the Eldo engine.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Ken Perry

I hope by now you have figured out you are getting a good deal !!! It sure is amazing to me how every car is going to need $45000.oo to fix it up! Not every one wants a 100 point show car or a Convertible! Do the work your self and you could do a nice paint job for $600 There are people that could do that interior for$1500 to $2500 and no it wouldn't be 100% corect,just damn nice,you can do a steering wheel your self. The car might run already,a little money spent (WISELY) and a guy can have a nice car and get $15000 to $20000 for i if he wants to sell it. I have 18- 59 Cads and 21- 60s and not one Eldo or Convert,just 2 doors and 4 doors and no 100 point cars!     The nerve, Enjoying a 4 door Caddy thats not perfect,Whats this WORLD comming to!!!!!     I drive a beater 60 flat top and people just love it everywhere I go and it is very dependable. You wash and shine that 56 up and take it to the drive in and people will love the hell out of it!!! If you wanted to you could take off the 2x4 set up and get most or all your money back and have a nice 56 for free and I'm sure some one would say you still paid to much! Ken Perry 
Cadillac Ken

Glen

Well said Ken. 

Eric,

If I did not know better I would think you are trying to discourage him so you could take it off his hands.   :)

Not everybody needs to make a profit on their car restoration.  Some of us are in it for the fun of restoring the car, cost be damned. 

This is not unique to Cadillacs, boating is another pastime that takes bags of money and you wont make any profit on the boat when you get tired of it. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Two different discussions.

OP already stated his plans for the car which will be a limited refurb - which - under the circumstances - is one with which I absolutely concur.

No, there is certainly nothing wrong with having a car that's less than a 100 point resto; on the contrary-  a solid & respectable driver in many respects can be more advantageous & equally satisfying.

I have no interest- I have enough cars as it is.

Discussion #2 w/ Mr Todd was more hypothetical in nature-  concerning the merits of personal involvement in a restoration vs financial pitfalls of undertaking full restoration, in general.

As the OP had already expressed his intentions, this is not directly relevant to the original subject matter.

Makandriaco

Quote from: ericdev on September 25, 2013, 07:17:44 PM

Reality:

Catching my drift?

For what I read, Ben is doing something like I am doing with my 59: just make it a good car to enjoy, nothing to compete in any category of a car show. I payed $4,600 for the car, have spent about $2,000 and the estimate I have for the rest (nothing about the upholstery yet) is around $5K. I think it is worth it.

Of course, there are some cases where things go wrong and you end up paying more. But I trully believe if you set your mind on the fact that you are purchasing a "project" and not just a car, you should enjoy the work regardless.
1959 Series 62 4 Window Sedan

Always loved Cadillacs.

chstitans42

Something like this is what I have planned. Check out this video of my old 1958 Chevy.
http://youtu.be/sGAq4kkmSRo
Make sure you watch all ten videos.

35-709

So, not having a life it would seem, I watched all 10 videos, after the first one I was hooked.  Super job!  You deserve that '56 Cadillac and I, for one, want to see what you do and how as you bring it back to good driver status.

One thing (that you well may have already figured out) it is the TEMP lever that you want to push down (open) to get water to flow through the heater core, not the AIR lever.

Congratulations on scoring that '56 Caddy and on the Bel Air.  Let us know when the videos begin, and, as has already been mentioned, you can probably sell that gas guzzling dual quad setup for close to what you bought the whole car for.  Maybe whomever you sell the dual quad setup to (if you so choose to sell it) will have a single 4 barrel carb and manifold to go on your car. 

There is much to be said though for keeping the engine and carb setup together because that engine is also factory "modified" to make better use of the gas that the carbs can put through it.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

chstitans42

Quote from: 35-709 on September 26, 2013, 01:42:35 PM
So, not having a life it would seem, I watched all 10 videos, after the first one I was hooked.  Super job!  You deserve that '56 Cadillac and I, for one, want to see what you do and how as you bring it back to good driver status.

One thing (that you well may have already figured out) it is the TEMP lever that you want to push down (open) to get water to flow through the heater core, not the AIR lever.

Congratulations on scoring that '56 Caddy and on the Bel Air.  Let us know when the videos begin, and, as has already been mentioned, you can probably sell that gas guzzling dual quad setup for close to what you bought the whole car for.  Maybe whomever you sell the dual quad setup to (if you so choose to sell it) will have a single 4 barrel carb and manifold to go on your car. 

There is much to be said though for keeping the engine and carb setup together because that engine is also factory "modified" to make better use of the gas that the carbs can put through it.

I am glad you enjoyed it! Just wait till I upload the 1956 Cadillac Video NUMBER ONE!!!

dadscad

Congratulations on finding and getting the 56!! Please, do post video of your resurrection of the old girl.

Your video documentation on the 58 Chevy is great, I really enjoyed watching all of them. That BelAir is a great survivor car, the 283 is one of the best engines Chevy built. Did you change the timing chain and gears while you had the motor out?
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Tito Sobrinho

Ben:

Just watched the video getting the '56 out of her dormant place. I admired your enthusiasm of  that moment.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.