News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Convertible top help!

Started by Vinnysmom1, July 09, 2023, 07:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinnysmom1

Hi, I have a 85 Eldorado convertible and I've tried continuously to find a mechanic that's worked on this type of vehicle and no luck! My top will not go down. The original owner told me that he just manually put it down. I've tried that and it looks like the windows will break. I hear the motor and the front big windows start going down but the small side windows don't move. Even when I try to put the small side windows down with their own switch all I hear is the motor for the windows. Any idea? I'm at my wits end!! Thank you

TJ Hopland

I'm not an expert on this era top but I believe that part of the process is for the windows to first roll down and they have sensors that when are all down then let the top start to go down.  If the windows are not working I think that is the first thing that has to get fixed.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Vinnysmom1

Thanks for the info! Now hopefully I can find a mechanic that has worked on this type of car.

TJ Hopland

Maybe go back and edit your title to add the detail of 85 Eldorado so the people that know a lot more about these than I do will see sooner. They may have more specifics you can try and maybe what other cars it may be similar to so you can have more search options or talking points when talking to shops.

I know the factory sent these cars to ASC (American Sunroof Company) for the convertible part.  I would assume they were also doing other cars at the time and used a similar system so if someone knows what cars those were maybe searching their forums will get you some leads. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Vinnysmom1

I'm not sure how to change the topic in my post. I'm not too tech savvy 😆.

smokuspollutus

Sounds like the quarter windows need to have the regulator "tape" replaced. The top should not move down until the rear windows are clear.

Assuming this is an ASC car, the top and rear quarter window assemblies are mechanically very similar to a number of other convertibles from the time including Chrysler K-cars, and later GM compacts.