News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Width of White Wall for a 1969 Caddillac

Started by Louis Johnson - CLC #20579, May 06, 2005, 09:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis Johnson - CLC #20579

I will very soon need to replace tires on my 1969 Cadillac that I purchased two years ago.  I understand that the proper tire size is P235/R75-15 to replace to old 900-15 that was the original size. My car has Poly Steel Good Year tires and the White Wall is approximately 1 5/16" wide.  Is that proper for the 1969 era?  If not, what is the proper width.  Thanks for your reply and input if you know the answer.

Rob Gerace #16100

I may be wrong, but I believe the original whitewalls of that era were a triple ring, which is one thick(well, relatively) white ring, flanked by two thinner ones.  I know they used that style earlier in the 60s, and it looks like they did in 69 in the pictures.  Im not sure if anyone makes a radial with that whitewall configuration.  But if it is available, Id be interested too, if anyone knows.  

You can go to http://www.cokertire.com TARGET=_blank>www.cokertire.com and they do have bias-ply tires with the triple ring.  Not sure about radials, though.

I guess if you were going strictly for authenticity, you could put blackwalls on the car, since they were STANDARD back then.  I personally wouldnt do that, but that isnt to say that someone else would be ok with that.  

I hope that helps.

Rob

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

When you determine the correct whitewall style, Diamond Back will make them for you in a radial. 888 922-1642. Bob

Brian Rachlin

Rob,

I have a pretty good assortment of Cadillac showroom sales brochures, and vivid memories of seeing these cars new.  They never had blackwall tires on them, always a whitewall.

I used to get some whitewalls for by 1970 DeVille, back in the day that were a split whitewall, on larger than the other.

I would say that any quality radial that you can come up with with a whitwall of 1.25 or up to 2 inches would look nice.  People that put super wide (4") whitewalls on cars from the 60s and 70s crack me up... Only pimps had whitewalls like that.

Good luck finding a nice tire for your car.

Brian

Thanks to all who responded.  I think I now have a good idea about what I need to do.  

I agree, nothing over 1.5" would look right and I have located a tire the correct size with a 1.3" Wide White Wall for under $90.00.

I will check this out further tomorrow.

Thanks.

Rob Gerace #16100

Hi Brian,
  Youre definitely right about that.  Ive never seen any publicity photo of a Cadillac showing blackwall tires on it.  But, with the exception of the Eldorado in some years back then, the blackwalls were standard.  For example, in 69, no cars had standard whitewalls.  The optional ones came with an exchange price of $83 for Eldorados, $63 for limos, and $57 for all other models.  

I think it was one of those things that GM would do where they picture a car with optional stuff, so that you assume that it comes like that.  And then they wait until you are ready to buy the car before they tell you about the cost of the "optional, pictured items".  However, Im sure affording the $57 for WW tires wasnt a big deal for someone dropping that much money on a car back then.

Rob

Dave Smith

Rob,

you are correct.   Blackwalls were standard equipment.  The only Cadillacs that were ordered without optional whitewalls were Commercial chassis vehicles, ie: Hearse and Ambulances.    Many people forget that whitewall radials were not standard till 1975.   For that matter you could also order your Cadillac without Air Conditioning untill 1975 too.    But again,  it was usually the Hearse that didnt get the A/C.    Most hearses were ordered with withwalls.  After all, you wanted to make your best car look sharp.  An Ambulance usually had blackwalls.  Speed, durability and economy were the most important issue.   With Air conditioning it was the opposite.  A/C was needed on the ambulances to keep the attendants and patient cool.   It wasnt needed for the hearse.  That passenger was already room temperature.   Pity the poor driver in that hot black car.

david

Michael Stamps 19507

I have blackwalls on my 70 SDV.  I was concerned about the look before ordering them but I think she looks better than with whitewalls.

Stampie

PS - I do admit that the tires are not anywhere near stock size.

Michael Stamps 19507

Here are a couple pictures on my 70 SDV.

http://www.stampie.com/70SDV/mainpic.jpg TARGET=_blank>http://www.stampie.com/70SDV/mainpic.jpg

http://www.stampie.com/70SDV/IM000187.jpg TARGET=_blank>http://www.stampie.com/70SDV/IM000187.jpg

Stampie

PS - Yes I know those are 71 hubcaps but thats a long story.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Michael,

Looks nice, but, where are the wheel spats?

Or, were they optional?

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Michael Stamps 19507

The fender skirts as proper Americans call them were in the living room at the time.  Well they are still in the living room now.

Stampie

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Michael,

Well, you know that I am not a proper American, heck, Im not even American, and, never will be.   Hardly anyone can understand me, and I speak proper English.

And, as you know, only Girls wear skirts, ha ha.

Spats are items that partially cover the upper part of the shoe, and as tyres are a vehicles shoe, they are spats.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Michael Stamps 19507

Since a Cadillac is an American car I will go with fender skirts to cover my TIRES.

Stampie

Brian Rachlin

I just looked at some of my sales brochures, and in the fine print, it does say "black sidewalls standard, white sidewalls available" so I was wrong in disputing that.

However, the late 1960s was the start of the changeover from ordered cars to dealer stock cars, and the showrooms sure did not have cars in them with blackwalls, but I suppose there were some.

My wife is right, I dont know everything...

Brian

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Brian,

You have found the true "Meaning of Life"

Yes, the "Wife" is always right, and now that you have freely admitted it, you will live a long and happy life.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Rob Gerace @16100

Hi Brian,
  Honestly, I dont blame you at all for assuming that the WWs were standard back then.  Im my 66 brochure, even the Calais models all have WW tires.  So, even though the blackwalls were standard, the sure didnt advertise it that way.  

Rob

BROADWAY CLASSICS are made in Memphis, TN according to the web site and are sold by local tire dealers all over the country.  I found a dealer ten miles from where I live that gave me a good price on 235/75R-15 tires - Steel Belted with a 1.3" Wide White Wall and it looks great on my car.  He got them from a local warehouse in less than two hours and in another hour I was riding on new rubber.

Installed with balancing, new valve stems, cleaned up ready to show for $91.00 ea. including North Carolina Sales Tax.  I am a happy camper. This is the manufactures web site if you are interested.

http://www.tbcprivatebrands.com/cordovan/viewline.asp?id=21 TARGET=_blank>http://www.tbcprivatebrands.com/cordovan/viewline.asp?id=21

This beats all the other prices I found that were $ 160.00 and up and that was plus shipping and then would have to pay someone to put them on.

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

The "Broadway Classics" are also on my 71 Eldorado Convertible and I have been very pleased with their appearance and performance, and I especially like their reasonable price! These are classy looking and give the proper look for the 60s, 70s & 80s Cadillacs.

Bob Dziewit

My father started buying new Cadillacs annually in the late sixties so I was able to spend a lot of time as a teenager at the local Cadillac dealers drooling over the new cars.  As best as I can recall, the only new car I can remember seeing with blackwalls was a bright red 73 Calais coupe.  It had virtually no options at all; no A/C, clear glass, etc.  Im sure someone had to put down a substantial deposit to get that one built.  Some of us might view it as desirable today because of its rarity.  I certainly thought it was weird at the time.

Lynn 10923

This is the kind of car that is their "price leader". They ordered it just so they could advertise a low price for a Cadillac. Then you walk in the door and find out what you get for that price, and what it takes to buy a regular Cadillac. You ask about the dealer adding in one option and they instantly are trying to talk you into the better models. The old bait and switch. I dislike dealers.

Lynn