News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Width of White Wall for a 1969 Caddillac

Started by Louis Johnson - CLC #20579, May 06, 2005, 09:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Mersereau

Bruce,
Would you kindly explain why the rear storage compartment is known as a "boot" to those who speak proper english? The term "trunk", of course, came about because in the early years the storage compartment in the rear was just that; a trunk. I accept the word bonnet as a suitable word for what we call the hood, as both are a form of head covering... but why boot?!?

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Matt,

Well, I submit that the term for the rear luggage compartment became known as a "boot" stemmed from the fact that when the "case or trunk" was placed on the back of the car to increase carrying capacity, if it wasnt tied on properly, it often fell off onto the boots (or shoes) of the person loading or unloading it.

You have to remember that the English vehicles werent as large as the American counterparts of their time, and as their towns werent that far apart, there wasnt much need to carry much luggage.   One could always get home before dark.

Plus, if things didnt quite fit in, the "boot" could be judiciously used to stomp in more stuff.   Hence, the saying, "put the boot in", or "putting in the boot".

Also, with the bonnet at the front, then naturally the boot should be at the back.   If one lays down, the head is always at the opposite end to the feet.

Hope this in some way assists.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

John Olenchalk CLC #17776

Rob,

Out of curiosity, what width wws were available then or would be considered as oem on the 1966s?

Rob Gerace #16100

As it appears in the brochures and factory photos, the triple ring was the whitewall tire that you could order your car with.  It was a thin(relatively) white ring, flanked concentrically with 2 thinner rings.  Take a look at this tire from Coker and it will give you a general idea of what it looks like.  

http://www.coker.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=17846&cat=&page=1 TARGET=_blank>http://www.coker.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=17846&cat=&page=1

I hope that gives you an idea of what came with the car back then.(optionally of course!)

Rob
66 SDV

George

We English also have "mudguards, aerials, bulkheads,wheelcovers,handbrakes,silencers,wings,boots of course,track rods,goddam ruthless old boy.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday George,

I know what you mean.

I was waiting for someone to mention all those other words that Americans dont understand, and whats more, they cant even spell correctly.

You know what I mean----color, etc.

Even the USA Computer Spellcheckers dont recognise words like Toyota, Datsun, and Honda.

They probably still remember the war.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Dan Smith CLC#20712

Louis,
     I am fortunate to have the original bias-ply tires on my 1971 SDV still in good condition (only 29,000 orig. miles).  The White Walls measure 1 5/8 inch.  I could e-mail you some photos if youd like.

Louis Johnson - CLC #20579

Thanks for the reply and I do remember those white walls but had forgotten just what the measured. Anyway, I have just bought the 1.3" wide walls and they look great.

I appreciate your reply.

Louis Johnson

JIM CLC # 15000

05-13-05
George,Bruce, the one that I enjoy most and got the most laughts from is "strangler" meaning "choke".
A close second was "spanner" for any "open-end" wrench.
Colour for "color" always seemed like a waste of a good "u".
As for "aerial", see the following, from the on-line "Etymology"Good Luck, I enjoy the English homor, Jim
aerial (adj.)  
1604, from L. ærius "airy," from Gk. aerios, from aer "air." The noun is 1902 (short for aerial antenna, etc.).

John Olenchalk CLC 17776

Rob, Thanks for the reply.  
Thats really odd.  I cant recall ever seeing that before and I usually notice that type of detail.

Not too damn attractive to my eye, but to each his own I guess...

George

I think the funniest auto, words in the UK are "BIG ENDS" this is the crank bearing, the rod bearing is the "small end". When the crank bearings are shot it is said colloquially "your big ends are gone". This saying has been the butt of many Vaudville type comedy sketches.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday George,

I beg to differ with your take on the Big End being the Main Bearings.

Since I was a little tacker, and that is well before the influence of Television and Sesame Street, I was always told that the Big End refers to the large end of the Connecting Rod, and the Little End is the Gudgeon Pin end, and the Mains are the Main Bearing.

But, there are lots of differing names for things between the people that speak properly and those that speak out of the side of their mouths, ha ha.

We all know the Queens English, but a lot of people are jealous that they dont have a Queen that wears a Crown.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

George

Quite right Bruce the "big ends" are the con rods.
I have lost touch with all meanings of English words relating to cars. Ive never owned a Euro car, happily.
I dont know if many people are "envious" of the Royal soap opera.