News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

restoration

Started by roger sumpter, May 11, 2005, 09:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger sumpter

this summer i will be starting to finish a 68 fleetwood brougham. due to age the front radio speakers are shot due to the cones being cracked. as a stickler for origanality do i send them out to be reconed as finding new ones would be impossible. or usa parts has them but you have to cut the ends of the wires to get the connectors to fit. what would you do. also are the power vent windows in all 68 cadillacs the same or are the fleetwoods different. also the rear package tray is shot. how do i go about replacing it. also has anyone ever ordered bumper fillers for a 1984 fleetwood from musslemans out of texas and if you did how was the fit. any help any one can give me would help.thank you.

Lynn 10923

"...starting to finish..." I like that phrase.

I get real strange and dont like to cut wires like that on your speakers. I would either get the old ones reconed, or make an adapter to plug into the factory connector and then attach that to the new speakers.

The power vent windows in all 68 Cadillacs are the same, even the motors. Ive taken motors out of Fleetwoods and used them in my convertible.

I dont know what I would do for a rear deck. I thought I had seen material for that somewhere, but I dont remember where. USA parts didnt have it? The only other thought I would have is to take some thin fiberboard, put some screen on it, and paint over the whole thing just thick enough to hold the screen in place. This is just an idea I had. I dont know how it would actually turn out.

Lynn

Porter 21919

USA parts has package shelves in their catalogue, I made my own, havent installed it yet. The fabric I used is called Phifertex, outdoor lawn furniture fabric.

Pictures here : http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/

Porter

BOB DIEDERICH

GO TO RADIO SHACK WITH YOUR OLD SPEAKERS. WHEN I REPLACED MINE IN MY 76 ELDO I BOUGHT A SET FROM ONE OF THE MAJOR CADILLAC SUPPLIERS AND WHEN I RECIEVED THEM THEY WERE RADIO SHACK SPEAKERS WITH THE RADIO SHACK PART NUMBER MARKED OUT WITH MAGIC MARKER. THE CADILLAC SUPPLIER HAD THEM PRICED AT ABOUT $15.95 EACH AND RADIO SHACKS PRICE WAS ABOUT $5.00. THEY WERE IDENTICAL AS I TOOK THE NEW ONES TO THE STORE AND COMPARED THEM SIDE BY SIDE, NUMBERS, CONSTRUCTION AND CONNECTIONS WERE THE SAME
BOB D

Lynn 10923

You might want to double check what kind of speakers are used in the car before putting in any old replacements. I dont know what kind of speakers a 76 had in it, but a 68 Cadillac radio is not designed to use permanent magnet speakers. Meaning that the audio output is biased with about 5 volts DC on it to create a magnetic field in which the voice coil can operate. Putting any DC on a regular permanent magnet speaker will destroy it in very short order. Guess how I learned this little fact about 68 Cadillac radios, almost 20 years ago now.

Lynn