News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Why does my engine idle rough but the car isnt missing?

Started by john rutenberg, June 30, 2007, 01:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john rutenberg

My 79 Seville is finally all complete with the repairing of all the emissions systems, wires, plugs, computer, distributor EES modlule. The car passes smog like the car isn't running. The exhaust at the pipe doesn't have a single sputter, yet the car idle is rough. Any ideas? I am wondering if the motor mounts are dry ( not broken, but dried out0 letting vibration into the body. Thoughts?

John Morris #23947

The most likely thing would be a vacuum leak. Especially with newer cars, they have sooo many vacuul lines and fittings, which were apparently all just pulled and replaced.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

john rutenberg

No, like I said the car runs well there are no leaks but the car shakes. The exhaust is clean smelling and it come out streaming without a sputter. Im wondering if the mounts need replacing. Maybe the motor and the trans mount.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day John,

Bad engine mounts will cause what you are describing.

I don't run any insulated engine mounts on my Dragster, and even with a wild cam, the engine still runs sweetly, fastened to the Chassis Rails.   And I am running simply Hose Clamps to keep 750 HP in place.

The '89 T'bird that I travelled 14,500 miles around USA and Canada in '02 had two broken mounts, and that thing ran sweetly, all the way.   The Engine couldn't fall out as the engine mounts were the "Safety" type, so it wasn't a major problem.

Bruce. >:D 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Wayne Giguere

Quote from: john rutenberg on June 30, 2007, 01:32:02 PM
My 79 Seville is finally all complete with the repairing of all the emissions systems, wires, plugs, computer, distributor EES modlule. The car passes smog like the car isn't running. The exhaust at the pipe doesn't have a single sputter, yet the car idle is rough. Any ideas? I am wondering if the motor mounts are dry ( not broken, but dried out0 letting vibration into the body. Thoughts?
We had the same thing on a 71 with only 29000 miles on it. Tried everything and finally did a valve job. No more problems.