News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac maybe someone can help with my question?

Started by PhantomCaddy, January 13, 2022, 03:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomCaddy

Hi i am looking to purchase a 1970 Cadillac Convertible but the problem is sometimes it will not start you have to mess with the gear shifter..back and forth from neutral to park until it grabs then it will start right up!..is this the safety neutral switch that is bad?.."car is pictured"

Big Fins

In a word, YES! That would be the first place to look by your description.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Big Fins

If you pass on it, I just might look into it. Pretty car!
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

GBrown #8092

...or some of the bushings in the shift linkage.  Agree with the other posters. Looks like a very attractive car!

Glenn

35-709

Sounds like the neutral safety switch to me too.  It isn't necessarily bad, maybe just out of adjustment and/or has loosened
and is moving.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

It could be wear or adjustment but there could also be a problem with the switch assembly. 

I don't know for sure what the 70 switch design was but slightly later the main body of the switch is a cast metal then the vacuum electrical part is a fiber or plastic sort of material.   There were tabs on the metal part that just sort of clamped on the plastic and over time they seem to let go so the switch part is no longer attached.

Some years and models are not too difficult to find replacement for and other years are very difficult to find.  For those of us with the hard to find ones we have been able to drill some holes in the metal part to then use zip ties to hold it back together.  I did the one on my 73 almost 20 years ago and its been holding and working fine.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jamurray

For a while before I sold it, my '70 would start in any gear, and I had to manually release the emergency brake. I decided to live with it.

Scot Minesinger

Without a doubt it is the NS.  This is minor.  Gotta love a red 1970 DVC with a white top.  Things to check for besides of coarse rust:

1.  Do all the windows line up with the top and rubber seals so that you have a weather tight car - that is not easy to get right.
2.  Climate control - does it work - expensive to correct unless you can do it yourself.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Cape Cod Fleetwood

BUY THE CAR

^ Statement assumes its reasonably priced.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Scot Minesinger

It sure looks like you should buy it - any other pictures?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Big Fins

I'd buy that in a second, then take the heat for it later. Then again, I could put a bow on it and say it's her anniversary present, just 9 months early. That color combination can't be beat.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

benji808

Niiiiiiiice...if the asking price is reasonable, the rest of it looks like that picture, and relatively rust free, I'd lean towards buy it and ask questions later  ;D

Big Fins

Enough of the suspense, did you buy that '70 or not?
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille