News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 original generator to voltage regulator harness (with inline fuse holder)

Started by cadman59, March 06, 2024, 02:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadman59

Hello all,

I recently received the new 1959-1960 Cadillac Authenticity Manual and after hours and hours of reading and browsing I have come to the conclusion that my '59 sedan will never be completely original again.

Nevertheless, I do enjoy making some feasible improvements, so I am already looking (and partially successful) for some original parts.

One of the things that is certainly not original on my car (because I had to make it myself when I bought the car 29 years ago) is the generator to voltage regulator harness. I would now like to recreate this harness to look more like the original, but I have not been able to find any photos of this harness in the authenticity manual (although it is otherwise a beautiful and extensive manual), and also not on the internet.

There is also an inline fuse holder in this harness, and I have not been able to find a photo of that (of an original one) anywhere too. The same goes for the location of this fuse holder in the harness.

The fact that I live in the Netherlands obviously doesn't make it any easier; you won't find many original examples over here.

So the question is whether anyone has or could take photos of such an original harness. It would help me a lot.

Feiko

PS.  I have not yet been able to find an original upper generator bracket (the one with the adjustment slot, for a car without AC). If anyone happens to have one lying around and would like to sell it, please let me know.
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

Gabe Davis

Hi Feiko,

The attached photos are from my 1959 Coupe DeVille. It is a non AC car. The compressor you see was added, I think by the dealer, afterward. But all of the wiring remained stock.

IMG_2075.jpg

The generator has the field winding and power output lines. The field wire is dark blue. The power line is brown. The smaller brown wire shares the power out terminal and goes up to the fuse. There is a small black wire for the radio noise capacitor.

IMG_2077.jpg

The harness has power wire and field wire split from the gen light wire at the base of the regulator. The gen light wire is longer and heads up to the fuse. The small black wire that went to the capacitor (condenser) body on the generator is screwed to the mount of the capacitor on the regulator. I do not know if this is original. In the 47 years the car has been in the family this was never touched.

IMG_2078.jpg

Another view:

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2081.jpg

You can see the small black wire from the capacitor going to the mount of the regulator capacitor:

IMG_2082.jpg

Also, the small brown wire heading to the fuse holder. The larger black wire heads from the BATT side of the regulator to the positive battery terminal to charge the battery.

1959 Coupe DeVille
Rosewood with Dover White Top

Gabe Davis

I had no idea that there was a fuse hidden under the rail there! The little clip holds inside and under so you can't see it. I detached it and pulled it out:

IMG_2085.jpg

The fuse is shorter than a normal one but appears to be the same diameter. It reads BUSS SFE 6:

IMG_2088.jpg

The holder open and fuse removed. Note the small rubber discs that were at each end where the wires go in:

IMG_2087.jpg

Not sure if this helps but tape measure for scale (in Freedom Units):

IMG_2089.jpg

If you need any additional photos of anything specific let me know. Hope it helps!

1959 Coupe DeVille

cadman59

Hi Gabe,

Thank you so much for these fantastic photos! This really helps me a lot. It's the first time I see this original fuse holder, and also that it's supposed to be hidden under the rail.

Now comes the search for a fuse holder that's close to the original, and the spade terminals. 

But I am happy with these photos!

Feiko
Netherlands 

Cadillac Jack 82

Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Gabe Davis

Quote from: cadman59 on March 06, 2024, 03:04:41 PMIt's the first time I see this original fuse holder, and also that it's supposed to be hidden under the rail.

I had no clue that it was even there. The lighter part of the fuse holder body was held in the clip. You can see the other side of the clip that holds to the rail in the pictures.

Also interesting that it has the "GEN. LITE 6" stamped on it. Looks like SFE is a fuse size. I don't remember coming across one of those before.

FuseChart.jpg
1959 Coupe DeVille

Gabe Davis

1959 Coupe DeVille

cadman59

I see, but that one is missing the black part of the fuse holder. I suppose that is a part of another wiring harness it connects to.

Clewisiii

OPGI resells the harness from Lectric Limited. I bought two since I accidentally shorted mine. The other end connects to the Underhood wire harness. On 61 they call it the Underhood headlight harness. But it has far more then the firewall to headlight harness branch.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Cadillac Jack 82

The other end of the fuse connection is part of the harness that goes into the firewall and to the ignition switch.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Clewisiii

Maybe for 59. But on 61 the fuse is in the brown wire that goes to the dash generator indicator light. I guess so the fuse blows rather then the dash light bulb in a problem.

IMG_20240306_175926714.jpgIMG_20240306_175959742.jpgIMG_20240306_180005421.jpgIMG_20240306_180011945.jpgIMG_20240306_180103448.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Clewisiii on March 06, 2024, 06:04:01 PMMaybe for 59. But on 61 the fuse is in the brown wire that goes to the dash generator indicator light. I guess so the fuse blows rather then the dash light bulb in a problem.

IMG_20240306_175926714.jpg
Now, that is a new one for me.   Having a Ground connected to a fuse.   Trust Cadillac to think of this to control reverse voltage creating problems.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadman59

For some unknown reason the pictures in this topic are unfortunately no longer visible.
They were posted well after the restoration of "deleted pictures saga", so that will have nothing to do with it.

Is there a way these pictures could restored?
Luckily enough I saved them to my computer, but for future reference (for other members) these seemed to be very helpful.

Clewisiii

I think the recent ones were lost again. There is a post about it. Here are my references from 61. The fuse is in the brown wire going to the dash indicator light.

IMG_20240306_175926714.jpgIMG_20240306_180005421.jpgIMG_20240306_180011945.jpgIMG_20240306_175959742.jpg

cadman59

Thanks Carl, you are right. I didn't notice that post about the latest picture loss before. 

Gabe Davis

I went back and re uploaded the images that I posted. They all had been deleted. Apparently there are still server issues happening.
1959 Coupe DeVille

cadman59

59-in-pieces

Feiko,

Gabe's pictures are spot on.

I had responded before but found not only copies of my photos were not posted, but neither was the narrative.  Very frustrating.

However, without trying to gild the lily, here is a single pic. which helps orient the fuse case location to the generator.

Hope this helps.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

cadman59

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, it seems that this time too the picture does not appear with the message :( .

Keep up the good work.
Feiko

59-in-pieces

Feiko,

One more try, then crew it.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher