News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Source for a 1971 Climate Control "HVAC Programmer"?

Started by Rich S, November 15, 2007, 12:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich S

Has anyone needed to replace the HVAC programmer on a 1971 Automatic Climate Control unit (mine is in an Eldorado)? I have provided a knowledgeable HVAC mechanic with three of them, (two plus the original one) and all have something wrong--the best of the bunch he says has a "weak motor." I would just like to get the "flow through" ventilation working again, although a completely functioning system would be great. Thank you.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: Rich S on November 15, 2007, 12:06:36 PM
Has anyone needed to replace the HVAC programmer on a 1971 Automatic Climate Control unit (mine is in an Eldorado)? I have provided a knowledgeable HVAC mechanic with three of them, (two plus the original one) and all have something wrong--the best of the bunch he says has a "weak motor." I would just like to get the "flow through" ventilation working again, although a completely functioning system would be great. Thank you.

Rich:

USA Parts has both new and rebuilt ones according to my catalogue.
Phone is (703) 335-0904.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

greg surfas 15634

The programmer in the AC system of you car has an amplifier, a transducer and lastly a vacuum actuator which responds in response to the direction of the first two.  There is no motor.  Old Aire out of Dallas Texas can, I believe, provide you with an exchange programmer.  In order for the system to function as intended however, all the sensor string and control head elements must be fully functional.  Have these been checked?
These systems are not exotic, so don't compromise on functionability.  If the mechanic is at a loss to diagnos the problems, perhaps a trip to the local Cadillac dealership, while admittedly costly, might be in order.
Greg Surfas

cadillactim

I recondition these programmers.  They do have a vacuum motor (which is actually just an special actuator).  I sell them for $125 with exchange.  If you want one you can contact me at 864-348-3209 (eastern time zone), or email me at tagroves@wctel.net

Tim (#23586)

www.cadillactim.com
Tim Groves