News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Flat top found in a pole barn

Started by Aldixie, March 24, 2024, 09:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aldixie

Hi All,
Over spring break me and a buddy rescued this 59 Flat Top out of an old pole barn that was about to collapse. (It did once we had pulled out the car). Had to take four rollers and a chainsaw to cut down the trees. It was last on the road in 1978 and the owner said it had been in there 30 plus years.

I still need to access if it's worth building or not, haven't tried to turn the engine over yet but it's complete with AC and everything. I never thought I would own a 59, I have a 50 Hearse,56 Hardtop and 55 Coupe.
Alex Dixie

Roger Zimmermann

Oh boy! To have a decent car, a lot of work will be needed, plus many parts (seems that all windows are bad). It's maybe a good opportunity to sell the good parts and discard the remaining.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadman-iac

Well if you decide that you're going to tackle this project, I have a rear window for a flat top if you're interested.
 Looks like quite a bit of work.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Aldixie

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on March 24, 2024, 11:36:30 AMOh boy! To have a decent car, a lot of work will be needed, plus many parts (seems that all windows are bad). It's maybe a good opportunity to sell the good parts and discard the remaining.

Rear window and drivers side windows were broken out by vandals. Needs floors, bottom of fenders and front of rockers from what I could see. Rear quarter panels are solid.
Alex Dixie

Aldixie

Quote from: Cadman-iac on March 24, 2024, 11:54:03 AMWell if you decide that you're going to tackle this project, I have a rear window for a flat top if you're interested.
 Looks like quite a bit of work.

Rick

I've found a rear window fairly close to me. Another yard had one for $100 but shipping would be horrendous.
Alex Dixie

David King (kz78hy)

It is a good donor car, a project that is abandoned and hit gold.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

59-in-pieces

Alex,

What a find.
You made a great choice to pull it out of further destruction, than just drive on by.

Although the flat top was said to be the most popular of the 4 door models - its first year in production.
My guess is that far more were lost than other 4 door models to scrappers, and so parts selling should be popular.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

billyoung

I owned a 1961 Vista roof Sedan DeVille and if I was rich and could afford more than one car I would still own it. What I am about to say pains me to say it. In another day and age (about 30 years ago) I would have said, if you can do the majority of the work yourself have at it. The problem is today even if you did most of the work yourself by the time you finish with that car you will have several times the value of it invested. If realizing that you are still good with it, have at it my friend.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

jwwseville60

100% worth restoring.
Heres mine. "Mr. Pluto."
People look at it and wonder if it's a UFO having landed.
Front and back curved glass? You'll never see that again!

1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

Moody

It's like land, they're not making it anymore. It doesn't have to be value based IMO. If the quarters are good, the rest is not too difficult.
Moody