News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 Eldorado, Arizona $9,000

Started by V63, June 24, 2023, 02:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V63

On offer up, phoenix metro ... not mine.

Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/E39OGQMRSAb

James Landi

Thanks for posting this one. I owned one of those models, and absolutely love it (1975-'85).  I think the owner is representing the car honestly.  If anyone is interested, a thorough inspection would be a sensible precondition.  Owner's lists of challenges may well prove costly; however, if the vinyl top is not yielding rust bubbles, and the engine has been rebuilt and develops good compression, then the rest of the drive train might be in reasonable condition.  Alas, this is the only year that had a single wheel bearing per side, and way back in the early '80's they were hard to find and very expensive.  ALso, this car absolutely requires that the rear suspension receives additional support from the air ride (service kits no longer available) or some kind of "work around" For the shade-tree mechanic who has the space, time, and resources, this could be a wonderful project car, that, with some paint and powder, will prove to be an absolute joy.   Thanks for posting,  James

Matt CLC#18621

Tremendous!
I have not been on the CLC Forum in such a long time.
Seeing a 1967 Fleetwood Eldorado as the first item on the CLC For Sale thread absolutely made my day.
Everyone please have a wonderful rest of your weekend.

matt
CLC 18621
I am 2nd.

Snibbor

Question about the "vinyl top is not yielding rust bubbles"...what is the recourse if this is the case? I have a '67 that has those "bubbles" and am worried about it. Anyone have ideas on how to mitigate this?

J. Skelly

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Snibbor on June 26, 2023, 09:38:33 AMQuestion about the "vinyl top is not yielding rust bubbles"...what is the recourse if this is the case? I have a '67 that has those "bubbles" and am worried about it. Anyone have ideas on how to mitigate this?
Depends on how many bubbles, where they are, and how large they are.

In most cases, the vinyl covering will have to be removed, and the rusted areas cut out, as in normal rust removal.

BUT, if it is really bad, there will be some serious decisions to be made.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

And, I might add, the rust usually is much worse than thought until that vinyl is removed.   :(
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Snibbor

Wow...The bubbles are not bad at all but Jim's link/saga above was terrifying!!!

Thanx for sharing....

James Landi

"Depends on how many bubbles, where they are, and how large they are."

As Bruce advises, this condition is a judgement call.  I owned my '67 for over a decade, it was a daily driver, it was never garaged when I owned it. During its inital 6 years of ownership, some minor rust bubbles were already appearing when I purchased the car, and the vinyl looked dull and needing attention.  I used a "paste-like vinyl top dressing" on a regular basis that kept the rain water beading on the top and the dark blue vinyl looking relatively new. The rust  under the vinyl apparently stabilized and did not spread during my many years of ownership.

Snibbor

Thnaks James. Appreciate it. I try to apply a conditioner to my vinyl pretty regularly and, obviously, try to avoid rain! Mine is a '67 CDV black vinyl top...