News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Two questions. Flathead Cadillac lifters

Started by z3skybolt, April 20, 2022, 05:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z3skybolt

Gents,

1.  Are the valve lifters for a 1940 Cadillac 346 Flathead engine the same as for a 1940 LaSalle 322 Flathead?

2.  Are "used" Cadillac 346 lifters with aprox. 9,000 miles on them reusable in another engine without changing the cam?

I removed the lifters from my 346 when a complete overhaul was performed.  They were silent in operation prior.  I simply wanted all new parts when the engine was overhauled. The removed lifter bodies seem perfectly smooth and polished on the bottom(where they run on the cam). They were tested for "leak down" and all components appear like new.

I know that new lifters can be installed with an old cam. But seem to recall that if the cam is changed so must the lifters.  Logic says that "old lifters" on a different cam might be an issue.  It would seem that a wear pattern on the bodies would be of concern.  Although the bottoms of my lifter bodies are mirror smooth.....can they be polished further to remove any trace of wear?

My removed lifters are so nice and ran silently.  Seems a shame if they could not be reused without a cam change. A new set runs over $1,000.00.

Thanks,

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

wheikkila

Good evening Bob
Yes, the 346 and the 322 run the same lifters. On your other question. You can have the lifters resurfaced. Then they can be used on a new cam.
            Thanks Wayne 

LaSalle5019

I had Egge resurface the bottom of my lifter bodies and installed new plungers. Worked fine. Keep in mind that the material taken off, while only a small amount, will change the working height of the lifter. Hopefully it would still be within the working height of the hydraulic plunger. I used the middle of the working height to set my valve to camshaft dimensions rather than the 3.00" specification - a lot more accurate.
Scott

z3skybolt

Yes,

When I had new lifters installed in my overhauled 346 an "expert" fitted each one individually by trimming the new valve stems.  Results.  A silent engine!

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.